Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 03:46 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Interesting that of the top 5 economies by GDP, Texas saw the least amount of growth in Q3. It kinda flies in the face of conventional wisdom and center-right media narratives. Despite many people's desire to poo poo on California, it remains steadfast in growth and economic output.

I was thinking the same thing. We're almost there.
Pennsylvania is one of only three Northeastern states with quarterly GDP growth that was above the national average (Massachusetts, New Jersey), so it could pretty soon. In fact, here's how all 50 states and the District of Columbia break down:

+8.7% Wyoming
+7.4% Kansas
+5.9% Nebraska
+4.9% Texas
+4.8% Alaska
+4.5% Oklahoma
+3.7% New Mexico
+3.7% North Dakota
+3.6% West Virginia
+3.2% Louisiana

+2.9% Massachusetts
+2.9% Washington
+2.8% California
+2.6% Colorado
+2.6% Kentucky
+2.4% Utah
+2.4% Montana
+2.3% Florida
+2.3% New Jersey
+2.3% Pennsylvania

+2.2% Michigan
+1.9% Ohio
+1.8% Nevada
+1.8% South Carolina
+1.7% Oregon
+1.6% District of Columbia
+1.6% Maryland
+1.5% Arizona
+1.4% Indiana
+1.3% Virginia

+1.1% Illinois
+1.1% North Carolina
+1.0% Iowa
+1.0% South Dakota
+0.9% Idaho
+0.8% Connecticut
+0.7% Minnesota
+0.7% New Hampshire
+0.7% Rhode Island
+0.7% Tennessee

+0.6% Hawaii
+0.6% Maine
+0.4% New York
+0.3% Alabama
+0.3% Georgia
-0.1% Missouri
-0.1% Wisconsin
-0.4% Arkansas
-0.7% Delaware
-1.8% Mississippi

-1.9% Vermont

And here's how the 12 states with at least 8,000,000 population break down:

+4.9% Texas
+2.8% California
+2.3% Florida
+2.3% New Jersey
+2.3% Pennsylvania
+2.2% Michigan
+1.9% Ohio
+1.3% Virginia
+1.1% Illinois
+1.1% North Carolina

+0.4% New York
+0.3% Georgia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 11:40 AM

128 posts, read 57,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Not really cause that would be pretty devastating. Californias power comes from being in a fiscal and monetary Union that’s massive. California somewhat outperforms the US generally but not excessively so.

Wells Fargo, Tesla, Hollywood etc are totally reliant on being in America

Just like New York wouldn’t be New York if it wasn’t part of America. In fact one of the main reasons Montreal isn’t New York is Montreal is in Canada
A bank, a car company and TV/movies? I use Santana.Bank (Spain), drive a Japanese car and watched many movies time in Vancouver or Toronto.

Old 12-06-2023, 01:36 PM

1,204 posts, read 792,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
-1.8% Mississippi
Wait...Mississippi still can go down?

Its GDP per capita is way behind the next state above it (WV) and is almost $10k behind its neighbor Alabama. Like seriously how bad can Mississippi gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I for one lose brain cells anytime someone says Miami is going to be the “next” Silicon Valley (although it’s a fine city…)
Or the next New York (city).

Old 12-06-2023, 04:17 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I always laugh when people talk about California and how it's failing when the numbers just don't come anywhere close to that narrative. It literally could break off and become its own economy and would still be incredibly powerful.
Not that I disagree with you, but GDP growth doesn't necessarily mean an improvement on the ground for the average person.

In most cases the rich are getting richer while the middle class disappears.

If there's one thing I hope Texas doesn't copy from California is the culture of Millionaire Middle Class.

I tend to believe GDP growth in a state like Pennsylvania means more. More upper middle class growth.

I would even Take Florida's over California.

LA is still expensive, but at least a large chunk of it's GDP is Manufacturing, agriculture and logistics which fuel more everyday man jobs.

But the May area has accounted for a huge chunk of California's GDP growth the last ten years, and what I take from that is the rich just got more Uber rich.

When you hear complaints about California, its usually because it is struggling to keep a middle class. A growing GDP doesn't tell you that.

Old 12-06-2023, 04:19 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
I guess now you can stop bragging about California "taking care" of the rest of us.

Old 12-06-2023, 05:20 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
A bank, a car company and TV/movies? I use Santana.Bank (Spain), drive a Japanese car and watched many movies time in Vancouver or Toronto.
Japan is a massive domestic market but its companies generally don’t compete with American ones.

Being in a massive political, fiscal, monetary Union with 300,000,000 other rich people allows frictionless scale up that you don’t see anywhere else. Take that away, and California would be Canada.

California isn’t unique. We have the exact same thing on the other side of the country. It’s similarly wealthy (more so actually) and populous and it’s because you can frictiinkesslh serve the rest of the country. Of wealthy consumers. Like Texas is twice as rich as Spain. Having no tariffs or customs or regulatory gaps between NJ and Texas makes economic growth much stronger.

This is the same reason Brexit caused the British economy to stagger. Only for CA it would be worse cause it’s much more ingrained in the US than the Uk was in the EU.

Old 12-06-2023, 05:40 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Japan is a massive domestic market but its companies generally don’t compete with American ones.

Being in a massive political, fiscal, monetary Union with 300,000,000 other rich people allows frictionless scale up that you don’t see anywhere else. Take that away, and California would be Canada.

California isn’t unique. We have the exact same thing on the other side of the country. It’s similarly wealthy (more so actually) and populous and it’s because you can frictiinkesslh serve the rest of the country. Of wealthy consumers. Like Texas is twice as rich as Spain. Having no tariffs or customs or regulatory gaps between NJ and Texas makes economic growth much stronger.

This is the same reason Brexit caused the British economy to stagger. Only for CA it would be worse cause it’s much more ingrained in the US than the Uk was in the EU.
This is going to go over a lot of peoples heads.

Old 12-06-2023, 07:32 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post

Or the next New York (city).
it isn't even remotely the same. There is a Silicon Forest, Silicon Beach, Silicon Alley, Silicon Prairie, Silicon Slopes etc.---they are actively seeking to take away business from here or build their own homegrown tech ecosystem, which is very cool, but it's no secret where they are seeking to emulate.

On the flip side, no one is seriously trying to challenge NYC in finance, or maybe they are? I dunno but there are Silicon__________(fill in the blank) all over.

one of the most recent names is a VC zone called "New Palo Alto"(lol)---which actually includes London, Paris and Amsterdam.

https://dealroom.co/guides/npa

I'm almost flattered.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:05 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
New England together has $1,382,285,000,000. A little under FL.

Old 12-06-2023, 09:53 PM

1,204 posts, read 792,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
it isn't even remotely the same. There is a Silicon Forest, Silicon Beach, Silicon Alley, Silicon Prairie, Silicon Slopes etc.---they are actively seeking to take away business from here or build their own homegrown tech ecosystem, which is very cool, but it's no secret where they are seeking to emulate.

On the flip side, no one is seriously trying to challenge NYC in finance, or maybe they are? I dunno but there are Silicon__________(fill in the blank) all over.

one of the most recent names is a VC zone called "New Palo Alto"(lol)---which actually includes London, Paris and Amsterdam.

https://dealroom.co/guides/npa

I'm almost flattered.
Lol it was a direct jab at Ken Griffin (of Citadel)

https://robbreport.com/lifestyle/fin...235417104/amp/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City