Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 07:45 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
No Nashville?
Not ont the top 25. It also ranked 31st in the nation in nightlife. Behind such stalwarts as Boston, St. Louis, Ft. Worth, Richmond, Cincinnati, and Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 09:06 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Who on earth came up with this list?

I lived in Las Vegas/Sinless City for 22 years and I found nothing fun about that city. I never gambled, couldn't afford the super expensive restaurants for the Cirque shows or arena shows. So for fun, over 22 years, I headed to Tijuana for long weekends.

I've been living in Tucson for 5 years and I find Tucson more fun than Sinless City.

For U.S. cities, I put L.A. at the top!

Old 12-06-2023, 09:21 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Not ont the top 25. It also ranked 31st in the nation in nightlife. Behind such stalwarts as Boston, St. Louis, Ft. Worth, Richmond, Cincinnati, and Sacramento.
I know I can have more fun in Boston, St. Louis and Cincinnati. I never felt Nashville had anything to offer me from a things to do in daily life. Not at all familiar with Sacramento and Fort Worth.

According to a popular ticket booking site here is the number of listings by city mentioned above.

Top ranked cities for recreation

4 Cincinnati
9 St. Louis
75 Boston
81 Nashville

Top cities for museums

Boston 69 museums
St. Louis 37 museums
Cincinnati 29 museums
Nashville 17 museums

Top cities for sporting events in January

Boston 51
Cincinnati 28
St. Louis 22
Nashville 18

Top cities for art events in January

Boston 120
St. Louis 30
Cincinnati 18
Nashville 15

Top cities for music events in January

Boston 155
Nashville 107 (less than 20% involve country music btw)
Cincinnati 54
St. Louis 41

I guess it depends on what one is looking for. I can't think of any other way of looking at the subject comparing the cities you are writing about.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 12-06-2023 at 09:36 AM..

Old 12-06-2023, 11:08 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
No Nashville?
Yeah, that's strange! St. Louis made the list but no Nashville.. I think cost is a major factor here, Nashville is very expensive to visit.

Old 12-06-2023, 01:00 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I know I can have more fun in Boston, St. Louis and Cincinnati. I never felt Nashville had anything to offer me from a things to do in daily life. Not at all familiar with Sacramento and Fort Worth.
I'd prefer Boston or Cincy over Nashville too based on my own nightlife preferences. That's subjectivity for you. But objectively speaking, I can acknowledge that Nashville almost certainly has a broader appeal than those cities when it comes to nightlife. Any ranking that places it at 31st in the U.S. for nightlife is clearly flawed, regardless of what my own personal preferences are.

Recreation, art events, museums, and sports all look like they'd fit more neatly in the "Entertainment & Recreation" criteria rather than "Nightlife & Parties." "Music" could go either way - are we talking concerts or bars/clubs with live music? Very different experiences. The methodology for this ranking completely omits live music from nightlife criteria. It does, however, include "Arts & Crafts Supply Establishments" and weighs it equally to all of the other nightlife criteria. I get trying to be all-encompassing, but clearly this list misses on a lot of fronts.

Last edited by lrfox; 12-06-2023 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-06-2023, 01:20 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Yeah, that's strange! St. Louis made the list but no Nashville.. I think cost is a major factor here, Nashville is very expensive to visit.
Costs and diversity of things to do.

Entertainment and Recreation
St. Louis 23 Nashville 38

Nightlife and Party
St. Louis 17 Nashville 31

Cost
St. Louis 16 Nashville 130

I have my personal beliefs about ranking cities. I always suggest do your research before relocation or planning a trip to any place. If I am going to a city and look for Jazz clubs and google St. Louis and compare with Nashville, St. Louis would clearly win due to the search results. If I was looking for a Culture Club and Mase type concert (lol i would love to see that), I may end up in Nashville sooner than I would St. Louis. Never judge a place based upon Wallethub. To rank New York City below Austin and in-between Honolulu and Cincinnati is outright craziness.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 12-06-2023 at 02:07 PM..

Old 12-06-2023, 08:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There’s no way places like Cincinnati, Portland and St. Louis are more “fun” than Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles. Kinda laughable to see.
lol at Ft. Lauderdale being referenced as "fun".

Old 12-06-2023, 10:34 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Who on earth came up with this list?

I lived in Las Vegas/Sinless City for 22 years and I found nothing fun about that city. I never gambled, couldn't afford the super expensive restaurants for the Cirque shows or arena shows. So for fun, over 22 years, I headed to Tijuana for long weekends.

I've been living in Tucson for 5 years and I find Tucson more fun than Sinless City.

For U.S. cities, I put L.A. at the top!
I guess there are areas in Tijuana that are relatively safe for tourists.

Old 12-07-2023, 12:25 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
82 trips to TJ over 22 years, spending long weekends alone, walking around Centro 'til 4-5am, never a bad incident to report.

And then there's Sinless City/Las Vegas: 6 years ago a 64YO man shot 600 people at an outdoor music festival on the Strip, 58 died. And deluded Tourists still think Las Vegas is the safest city to travel to!
Last Summer a homeless man stabbed 8 tourists in front of the Fashion Mall on the Las Vegas Strip, 3 died.

What make TJ fun, and not Sinless City: An out of control Red Light District.

Old 12-07-2023, 01:07 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
82 trips to TJ over 22 years, spending long weekends alone, walking around Centro 'til 4-5am, never a bad incident to report.

And then there's Sinless City/Las Vegas: 6 years ago a 64YO man shot 600 people at an outdoor music festival on the Strip, 58 died. And deluded Tourists still think Las Vegas is the safest city to travel to!
Last Summer a homeless man stabbed 8 tourists in front of the Fashion Mall on the Las Vegas Strip, 3 died.

What make TJ fun, and not Sinless City: An out of control Red Light District.
It's great that you and nobody you know has never been kidnapped/murdered/thrown in a Mexican jail, but TJ is NOT for the uninitiated. I never had any problems visiting there when I lived in SD either, but I never let my guard down either, and neither should anyone who's not street smart or has a basic grasp of conversational Spanish.

Having a preference for it over Vegas? I get it. Lots of places are less expensive/touristy/etc, but c'mon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City