Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 10:43 AM

543 posts, read 559,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Yes, totally.

Apart from being affordable, what other advantages does St. Louis offer? Distance towards attractions? Yeah, it might be more doable for a day trip, keyword might if you don't plan correctly. But this isn't only about day trips. When I talk about fun, I mean which city has the most high-quality entertainment venues, nightlife establishments and attractions. And when you expand it to metro LA blows St Louis out of the water even more. This shouldn't be an argument.
I don't think St. Louis beats LA or anything or the sort, but you're definitely shortchanging St. Louis. The fact that so much is free (and centralized), changes the dynamic for things like art museums and zoos. Free places go from a "once in awhile" visit to almost "default option hangout" (and not in a bad way). As a teen in Birmingham, the botanical gardens and the art museum were pretty often "bored, let's go out somewhere" places (Sloss would've been too, but I never paid attention to where to park and got lost all the time trying to do it by eye.), and this is from someone who was closer to Oak Mountain and rarely went because of the barely existent entrance fee. St Louis is one of among the best for this type of thing, and, for locals, it really makes that much of a difference. Imagine if the Met were free and had no lines (not going to happen), and how much that would potentially change habits for a decent amount of New Yorkers. This isn't "best places to visit" list, but a "most fun" list. Considering how much affordability is taken into account, I'd say this is probably better viewed with an appended "for locals" tag.

That said, I don't like WalletHub lists, and don't think it's a good list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 10:54 AM

140 posts, read 67,449 times
Lists like these bring out unfair conversation toward cities like St. Louis. It even borders bashing the city at times. St. Louis is a great city that offers plenty to do and see, especially if you enjoy architecture and a city that has cherished its cultural institutions for decades. I never really understand the consistent hate cities like St. Louis and Cleveland get for how underrated they are. Maybe it's just easy to bash them. But for so much of what people take pride in on this forum, St. Louis and Cleveland offer great recreational options and cultural amenities that continue to be invested in (100s of millions of dollars in just a few short years).

Old 12-08-2023, 11:12 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Yes, totally.

Apart from being affordable, what other advantages does St. Louis offer? Distance towards attractions? Yeah, it might be more doable for a day trip, keyword might if you don't plan correctly. But this isn't only about day trips. When I talk about fun, I mean which city has the most high-quality entertainment venues, nightlife establishments and attractions. And when you expand it to metro LA blows St Louis out of the water even more. This shouldn't be an argument.
The list is not on a on a metro area basis. It looked at the top 180 largest cities in the country, which at times included multiple cities within one metro area. Here's the actual WalletHub article.
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-fun-c...n-the-us/23455

Quote:
Yeah, using city limits for a city like St Louis skews things against it (crime) or favors it (per capita attractions) - this is cheating.
I wouldn't go as far to call municipal boundaries cheating. That being said, so many of LA's major attractions just aren't in its city limits. That hurts it when they're getting factored into a list like this. Hence why multiple other cities in metro LA made the list when you actually go on WalletHub's website.

This is also why Chicago, even as a large city, scores so high. It is highly centralized when it comes to these amenities. It's far more centralized than St. Louis, and miles more centralized than LA. Living in St. Louis, I pop into various suburbs all the time. When I lived in Chicago, I very rarely had a need or desire to go to the suburbs at all.

Old 12-09-2023, 07:52 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,274,277 times
Las Vegas is trash now. The have a lot of entertainment, but walking down the strip just shows how far this place has fallen. Everyone just open air smokes marijuana, crime, etc. It's sad and not really "fun" anymore.

The fact that Nashville did not make this list just goes to show how idiotic this is.

Old 12-09-2023, 01:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Las Vegas is trash now. The have a lot of entertainment, but walking down the strip just shows how far this place has fallen. Everyone just open air smokes marijuana, crime, etc. It's sad and not really "fun" anymore.

The fact that Nashville did not make this list just goes to show how idiotic this is.

What is wrong with smoking in the open? We've been smoking tobacco in the open since 5000BC. You should probably stick to Myrtle Beach.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:15 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
these rankings based on statistical nuances based on number of X per capita are just absurd. come on. it could be the crappiest sht available but the number per capita makes the whole area more fun? its just stupid. doing real surveys of enough real people would give a much more realistic result than this

Old 12-10-2023, 08:20 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What is wrong with smoking in the open? We've been smoking tobacco in the open since 5000BC. You should probably stick to Myrtle Beach.
With Marijuana you get that skunky smell. So when you're in a city in a state with recreational Marijuana, like here in Tucson, you walk downtown on a Sat. night and you've got that skunky smell to deal with.

Even in my 55+ community, if you walk around this community, you can run into that skunky smell as well. Even tho' they may smoke it on their patio's you can smell it out into the middle of the street. That smell travels.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:44 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
With Marijuana you get that skunky smell. So when you're in a city in a state with recreational Marijuana, like here in Tucson, you walk downtown on a Sat. night and you've got that skunky smell to deal with.

Even in my 55+ community, if you walk around this community, you can run into that skunky smell as well. Even tho' they may smoke it on their patio's you can smell it out into the middle of the street. That smell travels.
That's the price of freedom.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:53 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
Nothing smells worse than the tobacco smell that clings to those chain smokers who smoke with their car windows up. Absolutely disgusting.

Personally I find the smell of most cannabis less offensive

Old 12-10-2023, 12:07 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Cincinnati is on there but not Nashville? Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City