Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose on the aforementioned income?
New York City 43 58.11%
Washington, D.C. 31 41.89%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 03:37 PM

17,199 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You literally selected one of the only three homes available in Nassau with the parameters listed - only issue is the 6,000 square feet listed in two of them is *lot size*.

Meanwhile, in Londoun County, VA you can score a newer build home with 4000+ square feet of actual living (not lot or including basement), in a nice, family friendly cul de sac. Can’t find that near NYC.
Good point I can't deny.
That said, my relatives in Somerset have large houses on large lots (I think one of them has over an acre) and when I stay there, it's an easy ~45 minute train ride to Penn Station. I have relatives in Upper Marlboro who live in a similar home, and the feel of the area feels similar to Somerset. I don't think there is a rapid transit line that goes into the heart of DC from there...? I may be mistaken. I normally have a rental when I'm out there.
Both are under 30 miles from the heart of their respective cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 03:39 PM

17,199 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So basically the life of a rich celebrity. Might as well add weekly NSA sex with different bikini models to the list while you're at it.

Coming back down to reality, 350K would provide a high QOL in NY, but you would not get as much as bang for your buck as you would in DC as far as living accommodations go.
And that's the thing... It's a tradeoff some (including myself) would find worthwhile. I'd gladly give up living in my 1,500sqft home here in Orlando for a ~600sqft home somewhere in Manhattan (or larger in Brooklyn or Queens) considering the lifestyle that comes with it.

Old 02-02-2024, 07:03 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nassau and Loudoun aren't exactly analogs though. Loudoun is 40 miles away from DC. A better comparison would be Loudoun to Rockland County, NY or the closer parts of Sussex County, NJ.
Loudoun is 30 miles from DC city center. Nassau is 30 miles from Manhattan. Only four homes total meet the parameters of over 4,000 square feet under $1m in Rockland County, all of which appear to be what I call “red flag homes”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City