Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose on the aforementioned income?
New York City 43 58.11%
Washington, D.C. 31 41.89%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2023, 02:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
I have to comment on this again:
1. This is a forum for advice for everyone, not just the middle class or below.
2. All successful people have a common trait. They gather information from all available sources to before making a decision.
3. The salaries he listed, while good, are not something to brag about for their respective metros, especially after taxes. There's a few posts pointing that out.
4. Hate in your heart will consume you too. Offer advice, be happy for them. Let's get good vibes to circulate, let's not admonish those asking for help.
I shared my opinion and tried to leave it at that. If you want to take it to a better place than here, fine. Feel free to DM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2023, 06:53 PM

494 posts, read 246,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I shared my opinion and tried to leave it at that. If you want to take it to a better place than here, fine. Feel free to DM me.
Nah, said my piece. You're welcome to DM me if not though, I consider this case closed unless you have a rebuttal. I stand by my last post.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:47 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post
That’s what I have been telling people over the years. When you’re young and able, when you’re given the opportunities, when you don’t have much “burden” in life, when you’re financially/emotionally/mentally capable and ready, move to cities like NYC, London, Paris and Los Angeles. You may stay, you may leave, you may decide they are not for you, but most likely you will get to experience something new, something different, something you may not otherwise experience should you never try.

I’m forever, eternally grateful my parents allowed me to move to both Paris and Manhattan before I was 20. Those experiences shaped my personality, the ability to make connections to the world and brought out the internal drive/discipline/self-awareness to always better one’s self.

The kind of intensity NYC has, it also trains you to become very alert and feel the pulse and the vibrancy of the world, which is why it’s perfect when you’re young and willing to be grilled.

Besides in OP’s case NYC pays more so it’s another plus.
I feel like GenZ isnt jumping on the LA/NYC/London thing as much as Gen X, Millenials did.

We generally arent as interested in those cities, or really many cities, as much as other generations at our age. We love dense built up car free environments. There definitely is a noticeable pattern.

There used to be another GenZ poster from NJ on here who used to back me up and give me more insight on this board. It might just be that we are broke broke.

Old 12-26-2023, 09:42 AM

1,039 posts, read 567,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I feel like GenZ isnt jumping on the LA/NYC/London thing as much as Gen X, Millenials did.

We generally arent as interested in those cities, or really many cities, as much as other generations at our age. We love dense built up car free environments. There definitely is a noticeable pattern.

There used to be another GenZ poster from NJ on here who used to back me up and give me more insight on this board. It might just be that we are broke broke.
Gen Z fascinates me, truly.

I’ve been reading about Gen Z “menu anxiety”, Gen Z love cities like Ann Arbor and Charlotte, Gen Z less interested in s*x, and Gen Z probably will never be able to afford the housing…..etc. Could be all true, could be all just sensational journalism/click bait, but i love the differences, and for your generation to speak up.

My daughter is a very young Gen Z, everyday I tried to pinpoint the references of where we are historically and culturally because her generation (born 2009) had no clue what world was before iPad and iPhone.-how do you nurture problem solving skills when you have Sirius and Alexa standing by? Gen X generally raised themselves so we tend to shrug off and be (relatively) relaxed about life, whereas I’m making the utmost effort not to helicopter parent my Gen Z. Their generation is extremely tech-savvy and so quick to pick up new information, they get so tense with iPhone dependence.

My little Gen Z LOVES London/Paris/NYC/Los Angeles, though.

You’re young and you already have the experiences in NYC.-that alone put you in a major advantageous position compared to your generation, objectively. (Your insight about NYC also already put you ahead of your generation.) I personally wouldn’t want to live in NYC now (after 15 yrs) but in terms of career opportunities and being a part of hustle bustle player, NYC will be always the top dog.

My thing lately has been re-watching all the movies made in ‘80s NYC. NYC in the ‘80s was so gritty, so sleazy and almost sordid. A cab fare from Upper East to SoHo was only $6.5 in 1984.-i have such a fascination for time warped cultural and geographic homework.

I feel for Gen Z.

Last edited by achtung baby; 12-26-2023 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 12-26-2023, 05:39 PM

Curious why Gen Z is into Charlotte? Ann Arbor I get.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:01 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Curious why Gen Z is into Charlotte? Ann Arbor I get.
Its a manageable city that is clean, with a few walkable areas and a financial district, great bars and food, ideal weather, friendly people, relatively affordable, and has a lot of other young people. Its just the ideal mix to live.

Other cities that Gen Z (us) love are Tampa, and other small college towns. We also like random cities like Milford PA.

Old 12-27-2023, 07:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Even at my age, with kids, if I have a shot at NYC I'd likely still consider taking it. It's NYC
Same. If I were given the opportunity to be able to live in and comfortably afford a nice 3/2 home in a nice neighborhood (Chelsea comes to mind, although there are several others in Brooklyn and Queens I routinely pass through) I think I'd jump at it. Or at least highly consider it.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:15 AM

1,039 posts, read 567,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Same. If I were given the opportunity to be able to live in and comfortably afford a nice 3/2 home in a nice neighborhood (Chelsea comes to mind, although there are several others in Brooklyn and Queens I routinely pass through) I think I'd jump at it. Or at least highly consider it.
By all means you and CamThomas should try. Opportunities await no one. I only said “young” people in my post based on my own experiences. I was still a teen when I moved to NYC and apparently when you’re young you’re more oblivious to life’s curveballs. And you tend to be (blissfully) fearless. When you’re young and care-free you do things more on instincts. One gets less spontaneous with aging and more at stake. (children, career, finance, time….etc.) I had a blast in NYC. I clicked with the city right away. I would have been so much more deliberate, second-guessing, back-and-forth, check and confirm, back up planning…..etc had I gone there when I was a bit older. And parenthood is a whole different ballgame.-hence my original post. Also why in OP’s case if they are DINK and get paid more in NYC than DC, NYC would be a good choice for them.

If your heart is at it, and your circumstances permit, do it.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post
By all means you and CamThomas should try. Opportunities await no one. I only said “young” people in my post based on my own experiences. I was still a teen when I moved to NYC and apparently when you’re young you’re more oblivious to life’s curveballs. And you tend to be (blissfully) fearless. When you’re young and care-free you do things more on instincts. One gets less spontaneous with aging and more at stake. (children, career, finance, time….etc.) I had a blast in NYC. I clicked with the city right away. I would have been so much more deliberate, second-guessing, back-and-forth, check and confirm, back up planning…..etc had I gone there when I was a bit older. And parenthood is a whole different ballgame.-hence my original post. Also why in OP’s case if they are DINK and get paid more in NYC than DC, NYC would be a good choice for them.

If your heart is at it, and your circumstances permit, do it.
Repped you both. I'm fairly well traveled but the one miss has always been NYC. I'd probably live in one of the further suburbs and take the train in ever other weekend or so. Maybe when I'm an empty nester I can live in Manhattan for a couple of months a year.

Old 12-30-2023, 04:01 PM

254 posts, read 114,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
DC. I wouldn't want to waste that much of my life commuting into midtown Manhattan. You never get that time back.
You can commute into Manhattan and with just one stop from jersey city or Hoboken on the path train lol. It’s part of nyc metro area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City