Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 04:30 PM

536 posts, read 263,023 times

Advertisements

Which would you prefer? I'm looking for a polished and diverse suburb, somewhere where an Asian family won't stand out. There's just three of us, coming from Austin. We just want to blend in. I know both areas should fit the bill. The comp:

Weather:
Diversity:
Family friendly:
Open to other cultures:
Proximity to activity/entertainment:

Your thoughts on the above?

Not looking for liveliness though things like farmers markets and festivals would be fun. Prefer newer homes, for example, I was looking around KoP town center as well as Wagner Farms in Naperville. I'm also able to work from home so commute is not an issue.

Initial thoughts are, as a stand alone place, I think Naperville wins. But KoPs proximity to the East Coast and better weather tips the scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 06:24 PM

6,398 posts, read 5,033,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
Which would you prefer? I'm looking for a polished and diverse suburb, somewhere where an Asian family won't stand out. There's just three of us, coming from Austin. We just want to blend in. I know both areas should fit the bill. The comp:

Weather:
Diversity:
Family friendly:
Open to other cultures:

Not looking for liveliness though things like farmers markets and festivals would be fun. Prefer newer homes, for example, I was looking around KoP town center as well as Wagner Farms in Naperville. I'm also able to work from home so commute is not an issue.

Initial thoughts are, as a stand alone place, I think Naperville wins. But KoPs proximity to the East Coast and better weather tips the scale.
Grew up in the Chicago area, not super familiar with Naperville specifically but from what I do know, it'll fit your needs just fine.

KoP is much closer to downtown Philly than Naperville is to downtown Chicago, FWIW (I know you're working remotely, just for whenever you and the family want to do "city stuff").

However it looks like KoP doesn't have its own walkable downtown -- Naperville does, so it's likely better for farmer's market/festival type stuff.

I don't know anything about KoP's demographics but there are plenty of East and South Asians in Naperville (and nearby areas of east Aurora, Lisle, etc).

Naperville seems to have better sidewalk coverage. Not sure how much that matters but like if your kids want to walk somewhere, or for trick-or-treating, etc. A lot of the roads in KoP are just rural two-lane roads.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:53 PM

5,017 posts, read 3,936,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post

Weather:
Diversity:
Family friendly:
Open to other cultures:

KoP will have a really hard time competing with Naperville outside of location given Napervilles large downtown, public amenities, and walkable suburban neighborhoods in-town. It’s about as active and family freindly of a suburb as you’re going to find.The housing stock is far nicer too. It’s truly operates like a planned village for 30k families.

Yes I do prefer Philadelphias location compared to Chicago. By a lot.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:42 PM

4,440 posts, read 5,168,182 times
KoP does have a downtown now, but on the whole Naperville is a lot bigger. Not very comparable.

Naperville would compare a lot more to West Chester or even Dowingtown.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:20 PM

32,963 posts, read 36,439,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
KoP does have a downtown now, but on the whole Naperville is a lot bigger. Not very comparable.

Naperville would compare a lot more to West Chester or even Dowingtown.
King of Prussia doesn't have a real downtown. It's a Town Center like the one in Cherry Hill, New Jersey.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:07 PM

9,693 posts, read 9,432,814 times
Naperville is better in many ways. Better planned and managed area.

Old 02-15-2024, 01:03 AM

14,239 posts, read 9,123,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
King of Prussia doesn't have a real downtown. It's a Town Center like the one in Cherry Hill, New Jersey.
Actually, the King of Prussia Town Center/Village at Valley Forge is a better "town center" than the one built on the Garden State Park racetrack site in Cherry Hill. The links between the housing and the shopping are better designed and the shopping more centrally sited.

I refer to developments like these as "Instant Urbanism," and as far as Instant Urbanism goes, KoP TC/VVF is one of the better examples I've run across. Even better is Carmel, Ind., a suburb of Indianapolis, but CamThomas isn't considering the Indy area as a place to live.

Carmel's town center actually looks like a traditional downtown along the lines of Philly's four suburban county seats (Doylestown, Norristown, Media, West Chester; of those four, West Chester's the best and Norristown's the most disappointing; Media and Doylestown are close to West Chester in quality).

In terms of ethnic/racial diversity and finding a place where Asians won't stand out, however, the Philly suburb that I would say comes in first is Upper Darby Township. The 69th Street Terminal shopping district has a good number of East Asian restaurants and businesses, including an H Mart supermarket (a Korean-American-owned chain based in the New Jersey suburbs of New York; it has an outstanding selection of Asian products and ingredients, and I call it "the Korean Culinary Embassy in America"). The Upper Darby school district isn't as highly ranked or regarded as the districts on the nearby Main Line (Lower Merion, Haverford Township, Radnor, Tredyffrin-Easttown), but Upper Darby High School is probably the most ethnically diverse high school in the Philadelphia suburbs. And the township has embraced its multiculti rep; it now refers to itself as "The World in One Place." The only thing the OP would want that UD lacks is new housing: it developed in the early 20th century along the trolley lines that extended from the 69th Street Terminal of Philly's first subway line and has been fully built out for some time. CamThomas: If you're willing to consider older housing, I would recommend you give Upper Darby a once-over, especially its Drexel Hill section. Edited to add: I'm not sure it would clear your "polished" bar, for it's not as affluent as either the Main Line or the two communities you mention in the topic line of this thread, but it's far from hardscrabble or gritty, and Drexel Hill is actually pretty polished. BTW, even though it's not a city, UD is the sixth-most-populous municipality in Pennsylvania.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 02-15-2024 at 01:19 AM..

Old 02-15-2024, 05:14 AM

7,741 posts, read 5,533,645 times
People don't "live in King of Prussia". It's just an employment hub with a town center and gigantic mall around it. Live in Wayne, Radnor, Villanova, Devon, or any other number of towns around it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0440...8192?entry=ttu

Old 02-15-2024, 06:05 AM

14,239 posts, read 9,123,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
People don't "live in King of Prussia". It's just an employment hub with a town center and gigantic mall around it. Live in Wayne, Radnor, Villanova, Devon, or any other number of towns around it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0440...8192?entry=ttu
There is housing in the KoP Town Center/Village at Valley Forge, but most of it is rental apartments managed by Hanover. Toll Brothers did build a townhouse community there, and Korman Communities has one of its AVE flexible-stay residences there as well.

But otherwise, yes, there is very little housing within the boundaries of the King of Prussia (business improvement) District.

However: I believe that Simon Properties' plans for the building at the KoP mall that last housed JCPenney and before it Gimbels call for replacing it with a mixed retail/office/residential structure. If my memory is correct, when it's done, one will be able to live at the King of Prussia mall.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:18 AM

12,193 posts, read 8,067,127 times
Have you looked at Doylestown PA? Or Collingswood/Haddonfield NJ? There are some great Philly area suburbs that are better than KOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City