Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,052 times

Advertisements

I work remotely and have been debating moving back to Charleston (I live in Greenville, SC now). I have been looking at rental prices in Charleston, and they have skyrocketed (I moved away from Chas in 2021, and the same apartment complex I lived in is now $1000 more today). So that got me thinking about Savannah, as rent is significantly better.

I’ve only been to Savannah once on a day trip, but I love the beauty of the SC/GA coast. I’m a single, mid-30s female and would like to get opinions from others if Savannah could be a good fit for me. I also love history and old architecture, hence why I love Chas so much.

Can anyone provide input as to the comparison of these two cities? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 11:38 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
https://www.city-data.com/ .
Go to Charleston and scroll way down and there is a cost of living tool that may give an indication. I ran it , comparing Charleston to Savannah using 50000 as base pay. It said you would need to make 51000+ in Savannah. For Beaufort you would need to make 47000+. Beaufort is a nice town.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:56 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
//www.city-data.com/ .
Go to Charleston and scroll way down and there is a cost of living tool that may give an indication. I ran it , comparing Charleston to Savannah using 50000 as base pay. It said you would need to make 51000+ in Savannah. For Beaufort you would need to make 47000+. Beaufort is a nice town.
Only issue is, it hasn't been updated. It's a few years off.

Old 06-19-2023, 10:28 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Only issue is, it hasn't been updated. It's a few years off.
Best I could do. Take a shot.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:25 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
The Charleston metro area is twice as large as Savannah and more expensive. The traffic is way heavier in Charleston, but it’s not like you’re in DC or Atlanta. It has more amenities (Top Golf, shopping on King St. etc) to offer for someone our age. I lived in Savannah (Port Wentworth) for a year and wasn’t impressed anymore after the first month. Charleston has more suburbs like N. Charleston, Summerville, Mount Pleasant to look at. Charleston also has more beaches to visit versus just Tybee Island being close by, but Hilton Head isn’t far from Savannah. Both have much history. I say spend a few days in Savannah since you’re familiar with Charleston and go with your gut. But Charleston wins in my opinion of QOL.

Last edited by sonofaque86; 06-19-2023 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-19-2023, 11:52 AM

11,776 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I love them both but Charleston blew me away when I first saw it. I would probably choose Charleston. Not a slight to Savannah by any means, I love Savannah too but Charleston really surprised me.

Old 06-19-2023, 02:11 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarolinaLocal View Post
I work remotely and have been debating moving back to Charleston (I live in Greenville, SC now). I have been looking at rental prices in Charleston, and they have skyrocketed (I moved away from Chas in 2021, and the same apartment complex I lived in is now $1000 more today). So that got me thinking about Savannah, as rent is significantly better.

I’ve only been to Savannah once on a day trip, but I love the beauty of the SC/GA coast. I’m a single, mid-30s female and would like to get opinions from others if Savannah could be a good fit for me. I also love history and old architecture, hence why I love Chas so much.

You do realize Savannah has that as well, right?

Old 06-19-2023, 04:47 PM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Do you have a preference between booming and more laidback? The Washington Post did a story last week about 15 American “stand out” cities, compared to their relative states, for economic growth and percentage growth in employment over the last few years. Charleston was one of the 15, and employment and percentage growth-wise, South Carolina itself is booming.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:07 PM

64 posts, read 68,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarolinaLocal View Post

The Savannah metro is smaller than Charleston (and Greenville), but is growing quickly. Charleston is more white, preppy, wealthy and refined, while Savannah is more diverse, laid back, edgy. Charleston has the more established food scene, but Savannah has come a long way in recent years. Savannah does win on nightlife, as Charleston seems relatively quiet at night. I love Savannah's tree canopy, which I think Charleston is lacking. I always feel like the sun is beating down on me in Charleston. Tybee is Savannah's closest beach and Hilton Head is nearby. The other nearby Georgia islands (Little Tybee, Wassaw, Ossabaw, etc) are only accessible by boat and/or protected areas, vs the more developed beaches near Charleston. Also, Savannah seems to be spared by hurricanes more than Charleston because of how the GA coast curves in...

Old 06-21-2023, 07:43 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Charleston offers way more as a metro area. However Savannah offers arguably just as much in terms of urbanity even more if you like the row homes for less money. Sort of depends if you want a bigger more cosmopolitan metro area or a smaller urban environment for less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City