Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most likely to get a professional sports franchise
Albuquerque 7 9.33%
Omaha 12 16.00%
Des Moines 1 1.33%
Tulsa 3 4.00%
Grand Rapids 1 1.33%
Boise 5 6.67%
Tucson 1 1.33%
Tulsa 5 6.67%
Louisville 26 34.67%
Richmond 14 18.67%
Norfolk (Hampton Roads) 11 14.67%
Birmingham 6 8.00%
Rochester 2 2.67%
Syracuse 1 1.33%
Charleston SC 7 9.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 07:10 AM

12,866 posts, read 9,615,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
"major 5" is including MLS? That is a wildcard I guess, but I don't see big 4 in any of these cities. Most likely is probably NHL in Omaha, and it would take a local billionaire forcibly making that happen.
Warren Buffet on line 1.

Last edited by mjlo; 04-22-2024 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Hijacking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 07:19 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,333,812 times
Rochester could and should be able to support an MLS team. The Rhinos had a golden opportunity to become a franchise when they won the U.S. Open Cup. No minor league team has achieved that feat since. The team was drawing over ten thousand fans to practically every game in the seasons following for several years. Unfortunately the city fumbled the soccer stadium project and eventually the league passed on Rochester due to the perceived incompetence. However the region still has a rich history supporting the sport. A more recent example being WNY Flash. Women’s soccer, yes, but they were still drawing huge crowds in the 2010s. With the right ownership I could see another club getting major league status.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:36 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,085,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
"major 5" is including MLS? That is a wildcard I guess, but I don't see big 4 in any of these cities. Most likely is probably NHL in Omaha, and it would take a local billionaire forcibly making that happen.
Agreed it would take a local billionaire to attract a franchise. That's a plus for Omaha, Grand rapids, and any other of these cities that have that level of philanthropic wealth. Though TBH I don't think any of these cities really have a shot at landing a major 5 team. Perhaps MLS being the most potential.

Unfortunately I think we are past the era of any market under 2 million people being in the running for a spot at the table for a top tier league. It's a combination of DMA, corporate presence, and market population that drives these things anymore. There are just too many emerging markets larger than these that are already underserved.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:16 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,055,138 times
I voted Richmond. It represents an area that's a massive hole in pro sports coverage in the US and is smack in the center of about half of the US population. I could see a smaller arena team like an NHL or NBA franchise as well as a possible MLB expansion given the distance between Atlanta (Braves) and Washington DC (Nationals), along with a potential fanbase of a much better than US average fan base income. An NFL franchise is a much harder grab but again has the dynamics to pull it off, in this instance especially on the SE side of Richmond allowing for a Hampton Roads involvement carrying a Virginia team name identity. Again this carries a midway placement between the Commanders in DC and the Falcons in Atlanta with the high dollar fanbase needed.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:03 PM

93,623 posts, read 124,375,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Rochester could and should be able to support an MLS team. The Rhinos had a golden opportunity to become a franchise when they won the U.S. Open Cup. No minor league team has achieved that feat since. The team was drawing over ten thousand fans to practically every game in the seasons following for several years. Unfortunately the city fumbled the soccer stadium project and eventually the league passed on Rochester due to the perceived incompetence. However the region still has a rich history supporting the sport. A more recent example being WNY Flash. Women’s soccer, yes, but they were still drawing huge crowds in the 2010s. With the right ownership I could see another club getting major league status.
All facts and the thing with Rochester's location, it could also get some fans from nearby areas like Buffalo, Syracuse and the Southern Tier for some games, as all are within an hour or so.

I think the question will depend on the sports/league and other factors like population, location, interest, etc. For instance, the only pro league I could see Syracuse getting is lacrosse due to its location and essentially being where the sport played a big part culturally among the local Native American communities(Onondaga, Akwesasne/Mohawk, Seneca, etc.).

Old 04-23-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochita View Post
Doubtful the DC club owners would ever allow a team in Richmond or even the 757.
They said that about the Nationals in relation to the Orioles. It clearly didn't matter and has had virtually zero effect. People living in the 757 or Richmond do not see DC as their hometown and DC club owners will get that. There are plenty in the DC fanbase in Northern Virginia that will not be affected by a new team 2 hours south.

Old 04-24-2024, 07:24 AM

10,117 posts, read 10,001,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They said that about the Nationals in relation to the Orioles. It clearly didn't matter and has had virtually zero effect. People living in the 757 or Richmond do not see DC as their hometown and DC club owners will get that. There are plenty in the DC fanbase in Northern Virginia that will not be affected by a new team 2 hours south.
DC team owners see both Maryland and Virginia as their "hometown," so they'll likely block any attempt. Baltimore was an NBA team, but Wizards' owner said he would block thay attempt as he wants Baltimore to root for the Wizards. Baltimore doesn't see the Wizards as their home team. There are more Celtics fans in Baltimore than anything else.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:30 AM

536 posts, read 263,023 times
IMO, Omaha would do great with an MLS. It would be the only show in town and set up a natural rivalry with KC

Old 04-24-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
DC team owners see both Maryland and Virginia as their "hometown," so they'll likely block any attempt. Baltimore was an NBA team, but Wizards' owner said he would block thay attempt as he wants Baltimore to root for the Wizards. Baltimore doesn't see the Wizards as their home team. There are more Celtics fans in Baltimore than anything else.
As already mentioned, it carries no weight given the precedence of the National expansion team under the alleged nose of the Oriole fan base in DC (there wasn't much of one as it turn out) nor the Ravens when the NFL returned to Baltimore. As a result DC team owners do not have a leg to stand on. Beyond that there's a broad disconnect in the 100+ miles between Northern Virginia and Richmond, with no cultural overlaps. The NBA issue stands to benefit as well, no one outside of the DMV and arguably no one outside of DC and PG County are rooting for the Wizards.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:55 AM

259 posts, read 162,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As already mentioned, it carries no weight given the precedence of the National expansion team under the alleged nose of the Oriole fan base in DC (there wasn't much of one as it turn out) nor the Ravens when the NFL returned to Baltimore. As a result DC team owners do not have a leg to stand on. Beyond that there's a broad disconnect in the 100+ miles between Northern Virginia and Richmond, with no cultural overlaps. The NBA issue stands to benefit as well, no one outside of the DMV and arguably no one outside of DC and PG County are rooting for the Wizards.
I might be wrong here but I believe MLB expansion differs from the other sports, or least from the NFL. MLB has territorial rights. When Washington came, Peter Angelos (then owner of the Orioles) was offered a deal to allow expansion of MLB into his/Baltimore territory. The deal has since backfired and I am sure the Orioles regret the decision.

Those dynamics in play do not really apply in the case of Richmond (I.E. a larger market in the territory of a smaller market). The owners of the Nationals (and Orioles?) would need compensation that I don't think Richmond can provide. I just don't see how Richmond could get an MLB team and also bypass numerous cities in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City