Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has increased in relevance following a major population loss?
St. Louis 1 4.76%
New Orleans 2 9.52%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Cleveland 1 4.76%
Pittsburgh 9 42.86%
Chicago 5 23.81%
Cincinatti 0 0%
Baltimore 1 4.76%
Other 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:34 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,302,329 times

Advertisements

Just like population gain is often assumed to be evidence of a city increasing in relevance, population losses are typically assumed to mean a city is fading in importance on the national scale.

Have any cities actually increased in relevance vs their peers from the time the losses began?

I"m talking about sustained multi decade population loss, not the small losses between census periods that Los Angeles and New York are incurring.

So an example of an argument would be something like "well city X was the Xth most populated city in 1945, then plummeted to Xth most populated in 2000, but I think its actually more relevant now than 1945 for this reason...etc"

The poll choices are suggestions, if you choose "other" it should be a minimum 1.5 million MSA with multi decade sustained population loss.

Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:36 PM

10,083 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Out of the choices in the poll, I'd say Pittsburgh.

It has become a tech city hotspot over the past decade or so, and has seen a lot of good gentrification happening inside the city, despite slowly losing population still.

Old Today, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Out of the choices in the poll, I'd say Pittsburgh.

It has become a tech city hotspot over the past decade or so, and has seen a lot of good gentrification happening inside the city, despite slowly losing population still.
Indeed, but how can one make the argument that it is more relevant now than when its losses began in 1950?

At that time Pittsburgh would have been considered one of the most industrialized and economically potent cities in the world. One argument it its favor is that the airport didn't peak until the 1990's, and is working on a new terminal now.

Old Today, 01:57 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,015,937 times
Not saying I would vote for it, but Milwaukee seems to get the least amount of negative press from this list. I rarely see people or the so-called press mocking it. I kind of recall hearing Milwaukee jokes as a kid, but haven't heard many since then. I bet Milwaukee polls well here.

Old Today, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Not saying I would vote for it, but Milwaukee seems to get the least amount of negative press from this list. I rarely see people or the so-called press mocking it. I kind of recall hearing Milwaukee jokes as a kid, but haven't heard many since then. I bet Milwaukee polls well here.
I suspect it might, but I don't know how relevant MKE would have been in the 1960's when its slide began.

Going back to PIT, very hard to make an argument comparing corporate HQ presence between 1950's and now.

Also, Detroit should be a poll choice, oops.

Old Today, 02:42 PM

3,547 posts, read 2,334,832 times
How are we defining relevance?.

Pittsburgh probably wins from rebranding perspective as it's recently become a known tech hotspot, but economically it's not a standout.

In actual real world economics, Chicago has only been leapfrogged LA (as stand alone city). As a region cases can be made about the collective Bay Area & DC-Baltimore outstripping Chicago.

If I had to make a gamble. Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Baltimore are probably the cities that I'd actually wager posting growth in the 2040 census, with Pittsburgh potentially pulling a W out for the 2030.

Last edited by Joakim3; Today at 03:03 PM..

Old Today, 02:47 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Increased relevance and population loss? I guess I’d go with Pittsburgh but I don’t think any of these are really becoming more relevant than they used to be

Old Today, 02:56 PM

8,354 posts, read 5,514,165 times
I think Chicago maintained the relevance its had.

I think Detroit lost a lot of relevance from where it once was but is gaining relevance again.

Cleveland has lost a lot of relevance but I think has good bones and can increase in relevance again though I don't think it has those far.

But Id go Pittsburgh, St. Louis, or Cincinnati. They never fell down as far as a place like Detroit or Cleveland so they didn't have as much to gain back.

Old Today, 02:59 PM

I voted for Chicago-

Airports/transit busier recently than any point in history.

Willis Tower constructed during population loss.

Only city that overshadowed it during its loss period, Los Angeles, was already pretty close to doing this at the beginning of the loss period (and it was already a long expected development).

Old Today, 03:00 PM

8,873 posts, read 6,882,561 times
Population loss appears to be about central cities.

But relevance is generally about metros/csas/uas/markets. People's lives span city limits.

However even with the larger areas, these cities have all iirc lost ground on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City