Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,046,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
So 47 square miles compared to say Houston’s 671? Ok. Fair enough
Seriously do you think that matters in this context? It’s not that hard to identify where the wealth is in a city…You are familiar with Houston…River Oaks, West U, Memorial, Bellaire… give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 14 days ago)

8,425 posts, read 5,569,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
So 47 square miles compared to say Houston’s 671? Ok. Fair enough
The overwhelming majority of the wealth in Houston is going to be in no more than 100 Square miles and thats being generous. The rest of the city wont have near that much.

Just because Houston has more square miles doesn't mean wealth is scattered throughout it. I honestly wish it was. It would be much more equitable that way. But in reality, youre only talking 5-6 neighborhoods.

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

1,075 posts, read 595,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Seriously do you think that matters in this context? It’s not that hard to identify where the wealth is in a city…You are familiar with Houston…River Oaks, West U, Memorial, Bellaire… give me a break.
It’s good there’s a block feature on c-d for noise cancellation.

Wealth is hard to measure, but I agree with the debt-free comment. Zip code shouldn’t be the only measurement. just like high income (especially if it’s a 9-5 job in a corporate setting.) doesn’t equal to wealth, not always anyway.

Your comment about a building named after a family reminds me of John Mulaney SNL skit: “There’s a prison named after our family, jealous?!”

Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

862 posts, read 469,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The overwhelming majority of the wealth in Houston is going to be in no more than 100 Square miles and thats being generous. The rest of the city wont have near that much.

Just because Houston has more square miles doesn't mean wealth is scattered throughout it. I honestly wish it was. It would be much more equitable that way. But in reality, youre only talking 5-6 neighborhoods.
Yeah and the city limits don’t include West U, Bellaire, and the Memorial Villages, all of which are close in and are loaded with wealth. If you shrink Houston to like 200 something sq miles centered around Uptown I doubt these numbers change much. Some people here seem to underestimate the shear amount of wealth in Houston and are using size as a means to downplay that for some reason.

Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM

36,677 posts, read 67,662,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

But the complaint raised is that if one area is being counted differently due to a special circumstance, that's not 'fair' and every city should be measured the same way, which I happen to agree with.

But his point is correct tho, the 'Bay Area' in this report is still going be far smaller than the city of Houston, so that really deflates the argument that all things similar the ranking would be different.

Perhaps there would be a shuffling in the middle of the list, but the top 3 wouldn't change.

As far as the 'Bay Area', I'm fairly confident that SF proper accounts for at least half of all millionaires, centi-millionaires and billionaires in the region, and most of them live in the northern half of the city, they are extremely concentrated.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

37,280 posts, read 39,605,795 times
This arbitrary municipal limits except for some makes this list pretty silly outside of very broad generalizations. Since they were able to make special exceptions for the Bay Area, Los Angeles, and Miami for North America, as well as for a few places outside of such, then it's sort of odd they didn't do so for other places. The Bay Area is especially odd because in the other ones they state which entities are being counted whereas Bay Area is simply Silicon Valley which is not any specific municipality or collection of municipalities.

For what I'm familiar with in New York City, some of the wealthiest parts of the area are in Westchester, Northern New Jersey, Suffolk County (Hamptons), and Greenwich, CT and surrounding areas. That they're excluded is pretty radically stupid. This similarly holds for a lot of the other metropolitan areas.

This weirdness pervades the rest of the list even outside of the US/North America, and arguably more so given the difference in human geography and transportation options. I wonder what went into this level of silliness and who was expected to take this at face value?

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

21 posts, read 10,066 times
Quote:
I don’t know why but I’m surprised to see the wealth in Chicago. The other surprises are no Atlanta and no Philadelphia, especially since the list seems to correlate to population.
No Atlanta is shocking. The amount of wealth there is staggering.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

12,927 posts, read 9,651,466 times
Quote:
Hmmmmm….if you follow the thread I was the first poster to say that it wasn’t fair if SF got to include Silicon Valley. But I’m also acknowledging that given the difference in two size, I’ll concede that I was wrong.

But yes please continue to rattle off these wealthy areas in Houston. There are no wealthy areas in California.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

9,402 posts, read 9,387,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM0984 View Post
No Atlanta is shocking. The amount of wealth there is staggering.
Compared to where?
Yes, Atlanta has a lot of wealth, but so does every other major city in the US, and the ranking doesn't surprise me, except Austin.

Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

12,927 posts, read 9,651,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Compared to where?
Yes, Atlanta has a lot of wealth, but so does every other major city in the US, and that ranking doesn't surprise me, except Austin.
Jmo, but cities like Atlanta and miami*** (changed)have citizens that are more willing to show their wealth. Here in California, the guy with khaki shorts and sandals driving a late model Toyota could be super wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City