Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

12,928 posts, read 9,651,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Atlanta is a poor people's city. They say the only reason people live there is because they can't afford to live anywhere else.
I’m always impressed with the housing market in Atlanta and Houston. Lots of house, for not a lot of money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 14 days ago)

8,425 posts, read 5,569,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Jmo, but cities like Atlanta and Houston have citizens that are more willing to show their wealth. Here in California, the guy with khaki shorts and sandals driving a late model Toyota could be super wealthy.
Houston is not anywhere close to Atlanta or Dallas as far as showing off wealth. Not even close.

Houston is not a showy city. Its extremely laid back. That said, within the black community in Houston, there is a lot of showing off of wealth. But its not common among other cultures like it is in Atlanta or Dallas.

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 14 days ago)

8,425 posts, read 5,569,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But the complaint raised is that if one area is being counted differently due to a special circumstance, that's not 'fair' and every city should be measured the same way, which I happen to agree with.

But his point is correct tho, the 'Bay Area' in this report is still going be far smaller than the city of Houston, so that really deflates the argument that all things similar the ranking would be different.

Perhaps there would be a shuffling in the middle of the list, but the top 3 wouldn't change.

As far as the 'Bay Area', I'm fairly confident that SF proper accounts for at least half of all millionaires, centi-millionaires and billionaires in the region, and most of them live in the northern half of the city, they are extremely concentrated.
My complaint is that the same metric is not used for all cities. I do not have a problem accepting what the results would be. I know SF and SJ have an insane amount of wealth and stand on their own. But metrics always need to remain constant for any demographic study. Always.

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Houston is not anywhere close to Atlanta or Dallas as far as showing off wealth. Not even close.

Houston is not a showy city. Its extremely laid back. That said, within the black community in Houston, there is a lot of showing off of wealth. But its not common among other cultures like it is in Atlanta or Dallas.
You’re right. I meant Miami. But Dallas too. Changing

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

9,402 posts, read 9,387,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Jmo, but cities like Atlanta and Houston have citizens that are more willing to show their wealth. Here in California, the guy with khaki shorts and sandals driving a late model Toyota could be super wealthy.
Agree with that take (though I don't get that vibe from Houston). The Northeast is also understated in terms of showing off wealth.

My critique was the use of "staggering". Staggering wealth applies to New York and San Francisco, not Atlanta. (not saying Atlanta doesn't have wealth, just an odd word to use).

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agree with that take (though I don't get that vibe from Houston). The Northeast is also understated in terms of showing off wealth.

My critique was just the use of the word "staggering". "Staggering wealth", applies to New York and San Francisco, not Atlanta. (not saying Atlanta doesn't have wealth, just an odd word to use).
Changed my op. I meant to say Miami. Houston is pretty normal I think

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

37,284 posts, read 39,605,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM0984 View Post
No Atlanta is shocking. The amount of wealth there is staggering.

This is strictly by city limits for most entries except for three of them, and Atlanta is not one of the exceptions and is a city with quite small municipal boundaries that encompasses less than 10% of the area's population.

Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

7,440 posts, read 6,604,171 times
California has its share of neighborhoods with show offs—SoCal in particular. Let’s not pretend it’s void of bling or flex zones and all laid back board shorts. Newport Beach in particular would nauseate me and I grew up on Long Island and live in Miami.

Last edited by elchevere; Yesterday at 04:01 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

1,076 posts, read 595,213 times
California not showing off wealth?

The land that birthed the Kardashians and Hollywood?

O.C is the mother of the vapid, materialistic Real Housewives of _______ franchises.

Go hang out with moms in Marin County for a day and report back.

Every city has the show-offs and low-key demographics. When will people understand people don’t wear uniforms just because they live in the same geographical area?

Bloomberg posted the same link from Henley & Partners, 1 out of 24 New Yorkers is a millionaire, basically 4%.

Wealth is great, but the wealth inequality is more staggering and concerning than fangirling rich people in a very high school drama camp kids way.

Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM

7,440 posts, read 6,604,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post
California not showing off wealth?

The land that birthed the Kardashians and Hollywood?

O.C is the mother of the vapid, materialistic Real Housewives of _______ franchises.

Go hang out with moms in Marin County for a day and report back.

Every city has the show-offs and low-key demographics. When will people understand people don’t wear uniforms just because they live in the same geographical area?

Bloomberg posted the same link from Henley & Partners, 1 out of 24 New Yorkers is a millionaire, basically 4%.

Wealth is great, but the wealth inequality is more staggering and concerning than fangirling rich people in a very high school drama camp kids way.
Exactly…though Northern Cal (and I also lived in Marin—Strawberry, on the Mill Valley/Tiburon border) wasn’t anywhere as bad as some of its neighbors to the South and a likely contributor as to why they despise their “cousins”, but not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City