Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestchoice View Post
Can you elaborate? Why wouldn't you live in NC?
Been there. Not for me. At this point I couldn't live anywhere east of Denver. I don't like humidity, I don't like bugs, and the "culture" of North Carolina isn't my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 01:51 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
Charlotte

Old 06-17-2008, 09:10 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Well, you didn't list it, but I would pick Asheville, NC. if I HAD to live in NC.

Charlotte is experiencing uncontrolled growth at the time, and really, it reminds me far too much of the way Atlanta was in the early 1980s. Considering how Atlanta has turned out (ugh), I'm looking at Charlotte's future and it's too chaotic, so that nixes them out.

Greensboro, Salem, etc... nah. Too "blah" for me.

Keep in mind I'm an artsy person. I do photography part time, and like to walk though the woods, etc. So for ME, Asheville would be a good place. It's a funkier artsy type of town with a good variety of galleries, tourists, and restaurants, plus it's surrounded by lots of stuff to do outdoors. If you HAVE to get a "big city fix", it's not that far from Charlotte or even Atlanta if you have to go here. It's perhaps too small for those who like a lively urban life, but I'm winding down these days and that's just not my thing anymore.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:35 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Give it another 15-20 years and it will all sprawl and blend in with one another so you can't tell when you're leaving one and going into the other.

And people will talk about how pretty it used to be there.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:40 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Which of the following North Carolina metros would you live in: Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, or Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point? Describe the similarities and differences of the three areas too, and tell why you like one metro over the other.
Similarities: All three are the thriving metro areas of NC and even the Carolinas combined, and South. My personal opinion, these three areas contain all of the skylines of NC (Asheville an exception). FYI these areas contain over 5 million people. All three are experiencing growth and contribute much to the NC economy.
Difference: The Triangle(Raleigh) has a technology and science based economy. As the capital city it also has alot of government jobs. It also has higher education having NCSU, UNC, and Duke, among others right there. Triad has a huge manufactoring sector. Charlotte has a huge banking, finance, transportation, and textile economy. Plus the best skyline.
my pic: Charlotte. I like the fact that Charlotte has great economic growth, clean, and progressing at a faster rate than the other areas. All three would be a great choice and after Charlotte it's a toss between Winston-Salem or Raleigh.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:22 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,090 times
Probably Raliegh Durham area since it tends to be the most liberal of the three due to Chapel Hill and Carborro being nearby.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:38 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,960,276 times
Greensboro, NC.....It's the closest to the mountains....and it has lots of green inside the city....kinda like Atlanta.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:53 PM

1,967 posts, read 954,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Give it another 15-20 years and it will all sprawl and blend in with one another so you can't tell when you're leaving one and going into the other.

And people will talk about how pretty it used to be there.
Well the sprawl you talk about has been going on for a long time now. I can look back in time and Cary, NC is not the same as it was 5 years ago or 10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Probably Raliegh Durham area since it tends to be the most liberal of the three due to Chapel Hill and Carborro being nearby.
Not much of the ultra liberalism of Chapel Hill gets into Raleigh as you might assume nor does it get into Durham, but it is closer geographically.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:38 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
I know that this cityis notr part of the equation but I am picking Asheville. This city is a gem

Old 11-27-2008, 06:37 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,028 times
I heard that Asheville wasn't getting gasoline for a while, during that big spike when it was up to $4.00. Is that true? Can anyone confirm? I'm ALL for alternative fuel, but until that day comes, I'd like to be able to show up to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City