Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 02:54 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,799,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman71 View Post
Lake Mead is not far from Las Vegas and is the largest lake in the US. It is surrounded by the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Is there a better way to stay cool living out there? Phoenix has some lakes but they are much smaller and further from the city. So it terms of water recreation and entertainment Las Vegas is far ahead at least until Lake Mead goes dry.
I don't know about that... Lake Michigan is pretty big.

The lakes in the Phoenix metro are pretty close. From Downtown I could probably get to Lake Pleasant in about half an hour. I'd say a little bit longer to get to Roosevelt. There is also the Salt River in Tempe which you can take kayaks out on and do other things. Further out the Salt River is great for tubing.

Just because Lake Pleasant looks small on the map doesn't mean it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix vs. Las Vegas?-image.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 05:31 PM

74 posts, read 93,816 times
OK you got me on that I should have said it is the largest reservoir in the US at least in terms of water volume. I have actually been to the lakes in Phoenix. They are quite dramatic against the desert sand. All of the lakes put together are a pretty good size but lake Mead is much larger. I am going by memory here but Roosevelt is the largest (?) at about 22,000 acres but it is like 100 miles from Phoenix. I know Phoenix has a lot of boaters but the idea of pulling my boat 100 miles through the desert is a little disconcerting to me.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:56 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,857,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
You're going to melt in either city so I guess it doesn't matter. I think Phoenix is more family-friendly though whereas Las Vegas is easily more young single person-friendly. Phoenix's nightlife looks non-existent compared to Las Vegas, as extinct as a dinosaur.
Las Vegas does not have a large singles population at all. It is very much a city of married people with large families.

Most of the housing in Las Vegas and Phoenix is mass-produced single-family homes for a reason and that is that they are big, married with children cities.

What Happens In Vegas Includes Crowded, Struggling Schools : NPR Ed : NPR

There is a difference between the tourist culture and locals culture.

The hotels with the massive nightclubs and parties have nothing in common with the demographics of the city.

In my experience most of single people in Las Vegas are older. There are very few singles who live in Las Vegas who are in their 20s.

Phoenix is also very much a family city, there are alot of very large families who live in Phoenix.

The only areas that have a decent singles population in Metro Phoenix are Tempe, South Scottsdale and West Chandler.

Luckily when I living in Phoenix and Las Vegas I had some unmarried co-workers without families and luckily Southern California is not that far and they have everything a person could ever imagine.

I agree though about the nightlife in Phoenix, if one goes to a club there it is mainly coupled, engaged or married people.

I lived in Salt Lake City and pound for pound they have a much better selection of things for singles then Phoenix.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:57 PM

74 posts, read 93,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I don't know about that... Lake Michigan is pretty big.

The lakes in the Phoenix metro are pretty close. From Downtown I could probably get to Lake Pleasant in about half an hour. I'd say a little bit longer to get to Roosevelt. There is also the Salt River in Tempe which you can take kayaks out on and do other things. Further out the Salt River is great for tubing.

Just because Lake Pleasant looks small on the map doesn't mean it is:
Oh, I forgot to ask. I am assuming you have actually been on the water which I have not. But I am curious, is there very much weed growth in these lakes. I mean there is very little growing in the sand around the lakes and if they draw the lakes down for water supply this generally makes it difficult for weeds to get established. My guess is there is very little weed growth?

Old 06-15-2016, 11:28 PM

594 posts, read 697,911 times
Default Why would you post total nonsense ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman71 View Post
OK you got me on that I should have said it is the largest reservoir in the US at least in terms of water volume. I have actually been to the lakes in Phoenix. They are quite dramatic against the desert sand. All of the lakes put together are a pretty good size but lake Mead is much larger. I am going by memory here but Roosevelt is the largest (?) at about 22,000 acres but it is like 100 miles from Phoenix. I know Phoenix has a lot of boaters but the idea of pulling my boat 100 miles through the desert is a little disconcerting to me.
There is NO SAND in Phoenix. It's the Sonoran Desert .

Where do you get lakes are a 100 miles from Phoenix ??

Roosevelt lake is 28 miles long.....set in mountains not sand.

There are plenty of beautiful lakes close to Phoenix metro. Google or utube salt river tubing.
At least for credibility sake please don't post something you know nothing about....oh wait, this is CD. Keep posting but don't forget about the giant SCORPIONS

Old 06-16-2016, 09:23 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,468,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Las Vegas does not have a large singles population at all. It is very much a city of married people with large families.

Most of the housing in Las Vegas and Phoenix is mass-produced single-family homes for a reason and that is that they are big, married with children cities.

What Happens In Vegas Includes Crowded, Struggling Schools : NPR Ed : NPR

There is a difference between the tourist culture and locals culture.

The hotels with the massive nightclubs and parties have nothing in common with the demographics of the city.

In my experience most of single people in Las Vegas are older. There are very few singles who live in Las Vegas who are in their 20s.

Phoenix is also very much a family city, there are alot of very large families who live in Phoenix.

The only areas that have a decent singles population in Metro Phoenix are Tempe, South Scottsdale and West Chandler.

Luckily when I living in Phoenix and Las Vegas I had some unmarried co-workers without families and luckily Southern California is not that far and they have everything a person could ever imagine.

I agree though about the nightlife in Phoenix, if one goes to a club there it is mainly coupled, engaged or married people.

I lived in Salt Lake City and pound for pound they have a much better selection of things for singles then Phoenix.
I agree with everything you said aside from what is in bold, this makes me question if you ever really experienced nightlife in Phoenix/Scottsdale, and if you did where the hell were you going lol. Most clubs are in old town and you'd be lucky if you found a lot couples at any of the major old town clubs....you'd actually be lucky to find anyone under the age of 30. Same goes with mill av. in Tempe, that is FOR SURE not a couples scene. Granted if we are speaking about the bars in Phoenix city proper (downtown, east phoenix) they have a way older clientele, which obviously means there will be more married people/couples, but even then it is not overwhelmingly married couples that attend those bars.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:37 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,950,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkzip View Post
Las Vegas and Phoenix seem pretty similar to me.
Not really. I've been to both of them multiple times. They aren't anything alike.

I'm not going to show some of the pictures from night in Las Vegas because they are entirely inappropriate for a viewing audience but I'll show some from the daytime from the last time I was there.

My pictures from my last visit to Las Vegas, earlier in 2016:

Old 06-30-2016, 01:40 PM

My pictures from my last trip to Las Vegas, continued:

Old 06-30-2016, 01:40 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,097,504 times
Las Vegas to party, Phoenix to live and work.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:45 PM

Phoenix's downtown isn't easy to photograph, because often the buildings are set so far back and the blocks are rather large in physical size that when you take a picture from the center of a street angle, it pushes the buildings so far apart from each other, giving them an almost spaced out visual look from street level. They are so far apart from the buildings across the street from them. I took lots of pictures in Downtown Phoenix but extremely few came out good.

So I'll just stick to posting pictures of Phoenix with the hikes and outdoor recreational things I engaged in while in the city. The topography in Phoenix's surrounding area is pretty nice.

My pictures of Phoenix, the second to last time I was there (from Camelback):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City