Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 AM

83 posts, read 123,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Do you really believe that?!? Artisinal cheese is ubiquitous in the US these days. Much of it is made in flyover country. You think people don't eat it here too?
lol no i dont really.... haha i just copied and apsted a little of that poast ffrom another thing someone said that i liked. sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Really? But according to this chart, only 4% of the population speaks Spanish...and French isn't even listed which leads me to believe less people speak French than Spanish.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I think you could make an argument for Boston and New York's outer boroughs.

Hmmm...I'm not quite sure what you mean here. The UK is where? Europe, right? And there is no uniform style of Europe. UK is different than France, which is different than Spain, which is different from Germany, which is...etc, etc...get what I mean?

Boston may not have a Mediterranean style, which you could argue SF does...but SF doesn't have a UK style...which Boston does.
no, 4 percent probably were taught spanish at home. the joke is acualy about the elitism that is here. many of the wealthier people in the city learn french and speak it to each other so that you can be on lets say, filmore, and here more french than english... you are looking at statistics, trust me i have too; but i also lived in san francisco for much of my life.

im saying that the feel you get from boston is a colonial era London, as aposed to when you are in San Francisco, the culture, the people and the architecture are more "European" per say. the laid back culture, its live to eat mentality are just the tip of the iceburg culturaly. and one can walk thrugh pac heights and be surrounded by borogue, neo classical, and housmanian architecture; can go to height and be engulfed by victorian and art nouveau; hang out in the mission with its vibrant spanish/ latin american culture, and explore the countless cathedrals.
san francisco is BY FAR the mos eclectic city when it comes to europian architectur imo.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Apparently San Francisco is all of them combined.
well, like i just said, i believe san francisco is more eclectic in its european architecture than other cities in the us of a

Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I tried doing a search on this, but came up with nothing. Maybe I put the wrong keywords in.

Are there any US cities that are European like (a lot of street/outdoor life, etc?)
New Orleans

After all, it was once owned & colonized by the French.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
*San Francisco (the Paris of the west)
*Any NE city
*New Orleans

That's about it. Detroit used to ook more european-esque before its decline (it was the Paris of the MIDWEST).

Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuislavie View Post
no, 4 percent probably were taught spanish at home. the joke is acualy about the elitism that is here. many of the wealthier people in the city learn french and speak it to each other so that you can be on lets say, filmore, and here more french than english... you are looking at statistics, trust me i have too; but i also lived in san francisco for much of my life.
Could you show me the statistics? I keep searching for French influences in San Francisco and all I'm finding is French classes...the only places I can find that have real French influences and actually speak French is Northern Maine and Louisiana. I actually hope you're not lying or just saying this to try to make SF sound more cultured. The thought of a bunch of idiots who all are native English speakers trying to speak French to one another in order to sound more sophisticated is absolutely hilarious and shows how up-their-own-ass these people must be.

Quote:
im saying that the feel you get from boston is a colonial era London, as aposed to when you are in San Francisco, the culture, the people and the architecture are more "European" per say.
That still doesn't make any sense. Again, there is no universal "European" feel.

Quote:
the laid back culture, its live to eat mentality are just the tip of the iceburg culturaly.
The "culture" you keep describing of San Francisco appears to be totally fake. Everything you mention gives me the impression that the culture of the people is a total facade, intended to trick others into thinking that they are well-traveled, or that there is actually a significant amount of French people in the area (According to this, the French population of the Bay Area is 0.5%).

Quote:
well actualy the man who coined san francisco as being the paris of the west was the mayor of paris!
According to this, James D. Phelan was the one who wanted SF to be a "Paris of the West".

Quote:
and the fact you are referencing a south park episode doesnt prove anything... mew yorkers are ten times more abnoxious about there city, im just simply stating i think San Francisco is unique but more europian than other cities.
New Yorkers can be pretty obnoxious, San Francsicans seem to be able to give them a pretty solid run.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Could you show me the statistics? I keep searching for French influences in San Francisco and all I'm finding is French classes...the only places I can find that have real French influences and actually speak French is Northern Maine and Louisiana. I actually hope you're not lying or just saying this to try to make SF sound more cultured. The thought of a bunch of idiots who all are native English speakers trying to speak French to one another in order to sound more sophisticated is absolutely hilarious and shows how up-their-own-ass these people must be.

That still doesn't make any sense. Again, there is no universal "European" feel.

The "culture" you keep describing of San Francisco appears to be totally fake. Everything you mention gives me the impression that the culture of the people is a total facade, intended to trick others into thinking that they are well-traveled, or that there is actually a significant amount of French people in the area (According to this, the French population of the Bay Area is 0.5%).

According to this, James D. Phelan was the one who wanted SF to be a "Paris of the West".

New Yorkers can be pretty obnoxious, San Francsicans seem to be able to give them a pretty solid run.
what i am saying is that san francisco draws from more european culture and architecture than cities like boston who are directly connected to england historicly...

OH MY GOD! i never said there is a large french population! i agree with you that yes, learning french as a second language in san francisco is common in those snotty "posh" circles! its true! it is the strive to be "cultured" that leads much san franciscansand much of the world to associate san francisco with europe!

im not fighting you! we think the same thing... its the "cultured" peopel lol

Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
*San Francisco (the Paris of the west)
*Any NE city
*New Orleans

That's about it. Detroit used to ook more european-esque before its decline (it was the Paris of the MIDWEST).
How many cities have been labeled Paris of the (insert blank)? There must be dozens of cities that were trying to take advantage of the Paris mystique by associating themselves with Paris. The label is as meaningless as cities nowadays fighting to have a "world class (insert blank)."

I would agree with the poster who brought up small towns in the northeast. There aren't really any major US cities that look or feel European...maybe colonial European but that's about it.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Based on culture, walkability, and types of businesses the Ironbound section of Newark is one of the most small to midsized European walking city like areas of the U.S.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
what i am saying is that san francisco draws from more european culture and architecture than cities like boston who are directly connected to england historicly...
I dunno, the culture and architecture of San Francisco seems distinctly Californian, just denser and older than the rest of the state. The colorful buildings are similar to southern european, but they're also common in some other parts of California as well as Latin America.

A lot of the style of Boston seems English. England is part of Europe. Boston's culture is more traditional and the people are more reserved, similar to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City