Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Boston and Albany (NY)
DC
Boston? OK, definitely has a bit of an English feel to it.

DC? Sure, it was laid out by a Frenchman after all.

But Albany? Not really getting that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
I think these types of comparisons are often based on the assumption that Europe is infinitely more progressive than the USA, and so any progressive-seeming city will be considered European. I think the reality is more complicated: many parts of Europe have their own backwardness, and many parts of the USA are as progressive as it gets.

It is particularly weird when people say NYC is like Europe. NYC is not even possible in any other country (maybe China). The whole obsession with size (skyscrapers), money (Wall Street), fame (media and filming), and just getting ahead and being #1. That's why European tourists love it, because it's so different from what they're used to.

D.C. is the most obvious choice because it looks so much like Paris, and because it is a national capital, which most major European cities are as well.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I'd say it's a tie between Boston and Washington DC.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Boston? OK, definitely has a bit of an English feel to it.

DC? Sure, it was laid out by a Frenchman after all.

But Albany? Not really getting that one.
Boston has more of a Dublin feel than any sort of London, let alone England feel to it.
DC was indeed laid out by a Frenchman, just like Albany was laid out by a Dutchman.

Have you been to Albany? It's one of my favorite little cities.

By sebastien.b (http://www.flickr.com/photos/altuwa/ - broken link)

By kurtman518 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/29756054@N00/ - broken link)

By O's World of Photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/orlandosworld/ - broken link)

That's just a bit of the more desirable areas. The shabby areas are definitely grittier, but it's the same historic dutch architecture. (However, the suburban areas of the city doesn't have any type of European "look" to it)

Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 AM

83 posts, read 123,665 times
yah i know , especialy eastern europe.... but the areas in europe we are mostly sppeeeking of for united states cities r wester/more liberal

Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,551 times
I lived in 3 European countries and actually was born in Europe... Some say here Boston looks European? Except for Newbury st, and some part of Cambridge nothing European about it... And certainly not the atmosphere, - cold, rude, unfriendly.. Maybe some part of California and NYC can make feel familiar someone from Europe, but I don't think anywhere else in USA you gonna find that feel... Some here ask - what you count European... If you never live in Europe its hard to explain.. Its the feel, when you can get out and actually walk in the city, look at vitrines of boutiques, sit in nice cafe outdoor, catch a cab, go to visit your friend without making plan 1 week ahead... Where you can get out and find things to do after, right there on the street.. Where people can talk to you and you can talk to them anywhere without afraid they can sue you for harrasment .. Where you can dress like fashion queen, put on your best hills and walk the streets without people thinking you are crazy... There is so much to it... You got to live it and feel it to understand.. Its not only architectural thing lol.
I'm been looking for place like that in USA for long time... even if its small town.. but I haven't find yet..

Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Boston has more of a Dublin feel than any sort of London, let alone England feel to it.
DC was indeed laid out by a Frenchman, just like Albany was laid out by a Dutchman.

Have you been to Albany? It's one of my favorite little cities.

By sebastien.b (http://www.flickr.com/photos/altuwa/ - broken link)

By O's World of Photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/orlandosworld/ - broken link)

That's just a bit of the more desirable areas. The shabby areas are definitely grittier, but it's the same historic dutch architecture. (However, the suburban areas of the city doesn't have any type of European "look" to it)
Those are pretty rowhouses, but I still don't see how Albany as a city resembles a European one. Just not seeing it, particularly since pretty much every east coast city has rowhouses.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
St. Augustine, Florida or Jamestown, Virginia

Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
From a cultural standpoint. Philadelphia probably has the most similarities.
1. Most public art in the US
2. Most well preserved history in the US
3. Most well developed local cuisine(Cheesteaks, Stromboli, Soft pretzels, etc. etc.)
4. Most rabid sports fans
5. Most provincial big city in the US(outside of CC)
6. Defined by tight-knit insular communities
7. Everybody smokes
8. Cobblestone streets
9. Surrounded by a system of boroughs and townships
10. A high muslim population(even if they are of the jailhouse variety)
11. Most unionized big city in the US
12. Cynical/lack of ambition
13. Unruly gangs of kids(ie. flashmobs)

Old 03-02-2011, 11:43 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
St. Augustine, works. Have y'all shot down New Orleans yet? It was built by the Spanish and French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City