Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
St. Louis and Baltimore work well, but how about St. Louis and Memphis?
That's what I was thinking. I live in Memphis and I have visited St. Louis recently. They feel like twins that have differences. It's really hard to explain. St. Louis feels like the northern version of Memphis.

Some comparisons. They're both on the Mississippi. Both have landmarks downtown by the river, Stl has the Arch, Memphis has the Pyramid. Both are across the river from another state, Memphis-Arkansas, St. Louis-Illinois. Both are some of the most dangerous cities with a lot of poverty, but they also have a lot of old money and really nice areas. Lots of private schools. Both are known for the religious influence of a particular denomination, St. Louis is heavily Catholic, Memphis is heavily Baptist. Both are in the middle of rural, redneck areas. The people in both cities are kinda similar, but the accents are totally different. It's really cool to observe the differences & similarities between the 2 cities. They're only 4 hours apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 02:19 PM

12,856 posts, read 22,021,203 times
I'm going to be "dumb" for a moment and pretend that by, "America" the OP meant all of America and not just the U.S.A. (I know, I know, not the case but....).

Anyway, I've done a fair bit of traveling and never have I been in been in two cities that looked and felt as similar to each other as Portland, Maine and St. John, New Brunswick. Well, never have I been in two cities that looked and felt as similar that were as far apart.

They have a similar size, similar feel, and similar architecture to each other.

For Example:
St. John New Brunswick:

Portland Maine:

Last edited by lrfox; 12-15-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 04:27 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I don't really understand why so many people think Baltimore and St. Louis are twins. It seems totally random to me (granted I've never been to St. Louis). I've always thought of Philly as Baltimore's big brother. The only real difference between the 2 are size.

St.Louis is way out in the Midwest/South and I would think it would have a totally different character. Explanation?

CoffeeAndBeer: imho size, quirkiness, reputation, funny accents are kind of vague and prob. could apply to any 2 cities.
Actually St. Louis and Baltimore are practically on the same parallels in relation to being Southern. Both towns share similarities as independent cities in similar sized metros. Both cities are dominated by brick architecture (I would actually argue St. Louis has more). Both are old industrial cities. Both heavily democratic. Both with large Catholic populations. Both have large amounts of urban decay, crime, and poverty. Both have large urban black populations. Both have a history of being northern industrial cities in culturally "southern/border/slave" states. Obviously they have differences, the most prominent being one is Midwestern and the other being Northeastern.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,354 times
Indianapolis and Columbus, OH. They are 173 miles apart, similar in population size (Indy is slightly larger), Midwest cities, balanced economies, growing population, affordable cost of living, great place to raise a family, and they both have an interstate that encircles them (Indy has 465 and C-bus has 270) and vibrant downtowns.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:01 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
I don't know why...... but Atlanta (back in the 80's) reminded me of Milwaukee. It's those German Brick homes.....

Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
YES! The only problem with this Midwest-East Coast comparison is Philly-STL. It's a stretch. Can you explain why these two would be twins?

Let's take it further south though. We still need to find a Baltimore and a DC.
Lets go east west along the Great Lakes,

where

Milwaukee = Boston
Chicago = New York
Detroit = Philadelphia
Toronto = Washington D.C.

These are stretches but whatever.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Oh,

Take a time machine back to anytime between 1915 and 1975 and Detroit would be Chicagos twin.

Take a time machine back between 1850 and 1900 and St. Louis woul be Chicagos twin.

And no, New York is not Chicagos twin.

They are distant, distant cousins that simply amassed a somewhat similar construction empire bigger than just about anyone else.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
i don't think you can compare anywhere else to nyc...like a single city. i wonder if you took cities and tried to add them together could you get a better comparison...

like the person that said philly is similar to parts of bk and queens. if you take that city and add chicago or something and add another city, etc.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 PM

65 posts, read 120,383 times
Detroit and Rochester, NY.

Rochester is much smaller, but both cities are dead.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Don't know if anyone has given this pair but I see Chicago and Toronto as twins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City