Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 67 9.88%
Los Angeles 173 25.52%
Pheonix 24 3.54%
Las Vegas 2 0.29%
Alburqurque 85 12.54%
Dallas 73 10.77%
San Anotonio 97 14.31%
Dallas/Fort Worth 11 1.62%
Houston 58 8.55%
Other 88 12.98%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:09 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,436,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
are we talking Mexicans or Mexican Americans?
Both, Captain Nitpick.

If it makes you feel better, Los Angeles' Mexican-born population at the MSA level is 1.7 million, 2.2 million by CSA.

That's "only" comparable to the Tijuana metro region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,534,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Both, Captain Nitpick.

If it makes you feel better, Los Angeles' Mexican-born population at the MSA level is 1.7 million, 2.2 million by CSA.

That's "only" comparable to the Tijuana metro region.
Lol just askin'

Old 09-04-2013, 11:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,028,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Dude, you and I can pull out personal favorites and small taco stands back and forth all day. In the end, we will both be right.

However, my personal impression of the cities' far-reaching flavors across regional styles, their influences, and the variety of offerings across the spectrum of places I have tried with respect to the prevailing regional flavors of the respective cities' cuisines leans heavily toward Los Angeles. Houston and Dallas just seem to lack dimensionality in comparison. Are there individual examples that defy this? Of course.

In my opinion, however, LA is a better food city, with a wider array of influences in the Mexican genre across all levels of cooking, a more refined approach to cooking, a deeper heritage in Mexican cuisine, more exposure to the more refined flavors and techniques of interior Mexico and its Pacific coast and a population with a broader appreciation of authentic Mexican food. Couple that with LA's far better access to superior ingredients and its culture of fresh cooking and it is the stand-out winner to me.
Anything you can find in LA I can find at a Fiesta Super Market in Houston. I can guarantee you that.

http://www.fiestamart.com/about-fiesta/

Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,144,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Anything you can find in LA I can find at a Fiesta Super Market in Houston. I can guarantee you that.

http://www.fiestamart.com/about-fiesta/
Didn't you also "guarantee" me that there where strip clubs in Houston next to churches and schools?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:20 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,874,023 times
Quote:
Didn't you also "guarantee" me that there where strip clubs in Houston next to churches and schools?
actually dalparadise... metro matt is kinda right. fiesta food market which i once worked for coming right out of high school does have a lot of imported goods. i'm sure he means it tongue in cheek to assume that you can find everything there from under the sun. but its a legit supermarket.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:23 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,874,023 times
Quote:

Conversely, SF, even though it's the superior food city in my opinion, doesn't seem to like Mexican food all that much, outside of the Mission's taquerias, which are quite good and the City's few spins on fresh Mexican country cooking I have found. I hear that San Jose is the place to go in the Bay Area for the good stuff. I've found French cuisine to be better represented in SF than Mexican.
better french food and chinese food AND salvadorean food. but san francisco and mexican food?? no way man... not at all. it shouldn't even be considered at all. i would agree with you on LA though. LA certainly does have an amazing cuisine of mexican food. But let's not forget that Texas and its steeped in mexican heritage has a flavor that LA could never parallel. LA certainly has its diversity and that's where it wins by far and large. But even yet you simply can't dismiss the South Texas Barbacoa bro... that is some awesomeness where you can only find in Texas. So while you're in LA being overwhelmed with all the mexican food options there will always be something in the back of your mind telling you, "yeah, but i kinda miss those homemade flour tortillas with papas con huevo."

Old 09-05-2013, 03:20 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,144,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
actually dalparadise... metro matt is kinda right. fiesta food market which i once worked for coming right out of high school does have a lot of imported goods. i'm sure he means it tongue in cheek to assume that you can find everything there from under the sun. but its a legit supermarket.
I know all about Fiesta. I lived most of my life in Houston. I even owned a home a few blocks from one where I did all my shopping. It's good, but it's silly to dismiss the fresh farm-to-table food culture present in California (even in Mexican cuisine) by saying "Houston, a town three and a half hours away from where I live, has a Mexican supermarket, so it must have the same access to fresh ingredients," as Matt is attempting to do.

He doesn't mean it "tongue-in-cheek". He really doesn't understand this.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:13 AM

309 posts, read 761,471 times
Southern California in general has great Mexican food overall. I have even had lots of great Mexican food in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert/ La Quinta area.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 PM

10,763 posts, read 23,875,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Why is Tucson not on this poll?
I'd agree, I had a great meal at El Charro. Love that place! (Welcome to El Charro Cafe - Tastes and Traditions of Tucson)

Old 09-05-2013, 12:34 PM

151 posts, read 163,345 times
San Diego and Los Angeles for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City