Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 67 9.88%
Los Angeles 173 25.52%
Pheonix 24 3.54%
Las Vegas 2 0.29%
Alburqurque 85 12.54%
Dallas 73 10.77%
San Anotonio 97 14.31%
Dallas/Fort Worth 11 1.62%
Houston 58 8.55%
Other 88 12.98%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 02:46 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,837,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
To be fair though, I think a lot of white Californians mistakenly think that California is the end all.
You could end your sentence here and it will apply for most things and be accurate. Even though Texans are bad about this too, it’s not nearly as bad as Californians.

Arizona and Mew México are very hyper-regionalist in their cuisine. It doesn’t mean they aren’t as popular or as good, just less mainstream. Am I a hipster now? I sort of like that factor, it’s nice to be able to associate roots to your food sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 06:43 PM

2,231 posts, read 1,414,037 times
Chicago has a huge Mexican population, but it's still a fairly recent immigrant community. Personally I rank the southwestern states (which have unique cuisines developed over 150+ years) higher.

Chicago is definitely way above freaking Philadelphia though!

Old 07-13-2020, 07:21 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,417,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Chicago has a huge Mexican population, but it's still a fairly recent immigrant community. Personally I rank the southwestern states (which have unique cuisines developed over 150+ years) higher.

I get what you're saying, but most of Los Angeles' Mexican population were also immigrants from Mexico, which came after the 1950's; a lot more similar to Chicago than one might imagine (Chicago's Hispanic population boomed mainly between the 1960's and 1990's). LA was a very small city in general 100 years ago, and believe it or not, was mostly white in its earlier days.

I agree that the southwest region, it's Mexican food is more ingrained, naturally, which makes sense given that at one point, that was all a part of Mexico.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:11 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,637,419 times
Quote:
That's good and all if you prefer Tex-Mex, but for other styles, Austin is considered weaker among the big Texas cities.
Austin has plenty of genuine homestyle restaraunts. Just off the top of my head, in South Austin alone, there's

Aranda's
Arrandina's
Hecho en Mexico
Casa Maria's
Jalisco's
Mariana's Kitchen
El Secreto De Abuela

Old 07-13-2020, 10:14 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,615,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post

That only makes sense if you prefer Americanized styles of Mexican food

Old 07-13-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Austin has plenty of genuine homestyle restaraunts. Just off the top of my head, in South Austin alone, there's

Aranda's
Arrandina's
Hecho en Mexico
Casa Maria's
Jalisco's
Mariana's Kitchen
El Secreto De Abuela
Oh I know, I went to one myself. But I've heard people say that Austin is more TexMex heavy compared to the other big Texas cities

Old 07-13-2020, 10:40 PM

4,228 posts, read 3,321,690 times
My controversial take that goes against all conventional wisdom-

A city's geographic location near the U.S./Mexico border has absolute no bearing on how good or authentic their Mexican food is. The funniest thing is in San Diego where people insist that "fish tacos" are a primary reason for visiting, as if it couldn't be recreated anywhere else.

I've never been to Chicago but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they had better Mexican food than Southern California.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
My controversial take that goes against all conventional wisdom-

A city's geographic location near the U.S./Mexico border has absolute no bearing on how good or authentic their Mexican food is. The funniest thing is in San Diego where people insist that "fish tacos" are a primary reason for visiting, as if it couldn't be recreated anywhere else.

I've never been to Chicago but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they had better Mexican food than Southern California.
Agreed. I don't know why people assume that being closer to the border automatically makes the food better.

Mexicans have migrated to many places nowhere near the border, such as Chicago, NYC, Detroit, etc.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:25 PM

4,228 posts, read 3,321,690 times
Quote:
Agreed. I don't know why people assume that being closer to the border automatically makes the food better.

Mexicans have migrated to many places nowhere near the border, such as Chicago, NYC, Detroit, etc.
I don't know how many thousands of internet comments I"ve seen from California expats that go like this, "well, I"m really liking it here in (insert city), but being from SoCal I'm used to having access good Mexican food!"

I lived in a part of southern California for 5 years that arguably has more Mexican influence than many parts of Mexico. The food was mediocre, and I always looked forward to going home to Pittsburgh because I know places there that work directly with chefs in Mexico City to compose their menu.

I was supposed to leave for Chicago on Wednesday but now CA residents are 14 day quarantined there. Not only would it not surprise me, but given their reputation for taking pride in culinary arts, I would actually expect them to have better Mexican food than San Diego.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I don't know how many thousands of internet comments I"ve seen from California expats that go like this, "well, I"m really liking it here in (insert city), but being from SoCal I'm used to having access good Mexican food!"

I lived in a part of southern California for 5 years that arguably has more Mexican influence than many parts of Mexico. The food was mediocre, and I always looked forward to going home to Pittsburgh because I know places there that work directly with chefs in Mexico City to compose their menu.

I was supposed to leave for Chicago on Wednesday but now CA residents are 14 day quarantined there. Not only would it not surprise me, but given their reputation for taking pride in culinary arts, I would actually expect them to have better Mexican food than San Diego.
They say that all the time here in New York too, because they don't know where to look. Either that, or it's too "ethnic" for them as they're more into .

NYC does have a drawback of it being kinda hard to find stuff that's not antojitos or the stuff that every Mexican restaurant sells (bistec a la mexicana, mole poblano, enchiladas, etc.). But that's still good, and there are exceptions (places that serve regional specialties or even haute Mex). Best I had so far was fish tacos & ceviche from a place called Los Mariscos Uno, it was a 10/10 experience.

I want to go to Chicago too, hopefully this covid stuff dwindles down

I also want to point out that because the Mexican cuisine is more ingrained in some states, that also means higher likelihood of mediocre, overly Americanized places. We don't have too much of that in New York, aside from these weird Chinese run places (mostly called Yummy Taco) that made Americanized Mexican food before Mexican immigration to NYC skyrocketed in the mid 90s and beyond.

Last edited by Foamposite; 07-14-2020 at 12:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City