Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 12:37 PM

132 posts, read 350,966 times

Advertisements

Which one do you prefer?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 07:46 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
That's a tough one. They are both beautiful, and they have similar terrain. In particular, I really like Yosemite, and I'd like to go to Sequoia someday. I would also like to go to the Maroon Bells in Colorado.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:12 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,472 times
Colorado without a doubt. If I was forced to be out in the middle of nowhere mountains then I'd take the Rockies anyday. Simply magnificent and undiscovered to me. They're almost a myth to me.
Link - Aspen Valley At Night From Red Mountain - January 19th 2008 | Aspen Photos By Jon Barnes

Link - weknowsnow.com:: Colorado Backcountry Snowboarding - Snowmobiling, Fly Fishing, Backpacking, All Mountain / Snow Sports » Blog Archive » Colorado Backcountry: 10.26.06-10.29.06 - Colorado or Mars? (http://weknowsnow.com/blog/2006/10/30/colorado-backcountry-102606-102906-colorado-or-mars/ - broken link)

Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 PM

362 posts, read 1,855,676 times
I never understand why people limit the Rockies to Colorado. They also run right through the middle of Wyoming and Montana, not to mention large portions in Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico. Then there's the Canadian Rockies...

Back to the original question, I'm going to say the Rockies as well, simply because I grew up with them in my back yard. However, I cannot honestly answer this question since I haven't spent a great deal of time in the Sierras (which I would very much like to do, Yosemite is at the top of my National Parks list).

Old 12-07-2008, 04:02 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
I never understand why people limit the Rockies to Colorado. They also run right through the middle of Wyoming and Montana, not to mention large portions in Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico. Then there's the Canadian Rockies...
Well, in this case it's probably fair to limit the Rockies to Colorado. The Sierra Nevada are a sub-range of the larger Pacific Ranges, just as the Rockies have many subranges themselves (such as the Front Range, the Tetons, the Wasatch Mountains, etc.)
Partial List of Pacific Mountain System Sub-ranges:
Coast Ranges
Sierra Nevada
Trinity Alps
Cascades
Klamath Mountains
Olympic Mountains

So, it would be more appropriate to compare the Pacific Ranges to the Rockies in their entirety.

Anyways...back on topic:
Having visited both, and enjoying the Colorado Rockies tremendously, the Sierra Nevada are my favorite. A big part of this is because their apparent rise above their surroundings is significantly higher, despite the fact that they are very comparable in overall height (slight edge to the Sierra Nevada, but it's not much). Standing at the bottom of Owens Valley in Lone Pine CA, at 4,000 feet, you can clearly see the summit of Mount Whitney (14,505 feet), which is only a couple of miles away. On the other side, you can see the top of White Mountain Peak (14,252 feet), and you're only about 50 miles from Badwater, CA, the lowest (and hottest) point in North America at -282 feet (but not before crossing over the Panamint Range, which itself is over 11,000 feet tall). The sheer variance in topography is stunning. Because of this, despite being in a highly populous area, large portions of the 'High Sierra' are very inaccessible and thus represent virgin wilderness. The range itself is incredibly rugged.

The Sierras, however, have a lot more going for them then just size, they also are one of the wettest ranges on their Western side, which allows for some of the highest snowfall anywhere in the world, as well as an incredibly diverse ecosystem. Notable among plant life in this ecosystem are the Giant Sequoia, the largest single-organism life forms on the planet (one was so large, that when it was cut down the stump was converted into a dance floor). Also, because of the water, the Sierras are covered in majestic waterfalls, culminated in the 2,425ft tall Yosemite falls, which is taller then the highest mountains in 17 states, and roughly twice as tall as the tallest waterfall in the Rocky Mountains. You also can't forget about Lake Tahoe, or some other local oddities such as Hot Creek, which add a bit of charm to the range.

Anyways, to sum it all up, I love the Sierra Nevada, and I love the Rockies, I just love the Sierra a little bit more.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 PM

305 posts, read 991,444 times
I say the Rocky mountains. The first time I ever saw them thought I had died and went to heaven. Mountains are beautiful.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:16 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
I love love love the Rosky Mountains but Yosemite is on the top of my "National Parks" list. Plus, I've been to The Rockies plenty of times.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:14 AM

125 posts, read 453,385 times
The Rockies are quite different from state to state.

In New Mexico, they are a little smaller and drier than Colorado.

In CO, they are simply magnificent, huge and go on forever, and very high elevations.

In Idaho, the Sawtooths are pristine with similar climate and terrian to CO or NM. However, the Selway Bitteroot is very unlike that, it's more humid, lower elevation with different plant life, much more water - huge rivers you don't find farther south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post

Back to the original question, I'm going to say the Rockies as well, simply because I grew up with them in my back yard. However, I cannot honestly answer this question since I haven't spent a great deal of time in the Sierras (which I would very much like to do, Yosemite is at the top of my National Parks list).

Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
The Rockies are way bigger. They run up to Canada.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM

514 posts, read 764,769 times
Wink well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Well, in this case it's probably fair to limit the Rockies to Colorado. The Sierra Nevada are a sub-range of the larger Pacific Ranges, just as the Rockies have many subranges themselves (such as the Front Range, the Tetons, the Wasatch Mountains, etc.)
Partial List of Pacific Mountain System Sub-ranges:
Coast Ranges
Sierra Nevada
Trinity Alps
Cascades
Klamath Mountains
Olympic Mountains

So, it would be more appropriate to compare the Pacific Ranges to the Rockies in their entirety.

Anyways...back on topic:
Having visited both, and enjoying the Colorado Rockies tremendously, the Sierra Nevada are my favorite. A big part of this is because their apparent rise above their surroundings is significantly higher, despite the fact that they are very comparable in overall height (slight edge to the Sierra Nevada, but it's not much). Standing at the bottom of Owens Valley in Lone Pine CA, at 4,000 feet, you can clearly see the summit of Mount Whitney (14,505 feet), which is only a couple of miles away. On the other side, you can see the top of White Mountain Peak (14,252 feet), and you're only about 50 miles from Badwater, CA, the lowest (and hottest) point in North America at -282 feet (but not before crossing over the Panamint Range, which itself is over 11,000 feet tall). The sheer variance in topography is stunning. Because of this, despite being in a highly populous area, large portions of the 'High Sierra' are very inaccessible and thus represent virgin wilderness. The range itself is incredibly rugged.

The Sierras, however, have a lot more going for them then just size, they also are one of the wettest ranges on their Western side, which allows for some of the highest snowfall anywhere in the world, as well as an incredibly diverse ecosystem. Notable among plant life in this ecosystem are the Giant Sequoia, the largest single-organism life forms on the planet (one was so large, that when it was cut down the stump was converted into a dance floor). Also, because of the water, the Sierras are covered in majestic waterfalls, culminated in the 2,425ft tall Yosemite falls, which is taller then the highest mountains in 17 states, and roughly twice as tall as the tallest waterfall in the Rocky Mountains. You also can't forget about Lake Tahoe, or some other local oddities such as Hot Creek, which add a bit of charm to the range.

Anyways, to sum it all up, I love the Sierra Nevada, and I love the Rockies, I just love the Sierra a little bit more.
Well said! My son lives in Bishop and has 14Ks on both sides of town. And don't forget Highway 49 on the west side with all the old mining towns. The USA is fortunate enough to have both amazing ranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City