Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,935,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
And I will gladly take the second. And Im originally from the Midwest and I dont recall any "cool art deco" style buildings, just old looking buildings. When you say art deco I think of South Beach, and the midwest look like anything but. And now that I live in Atlanta I don’t see that many strip malls unless I hit the burbs, where Im at intown thee are not many strip malls, we have more mixed used development
Whooaaa there, lets look at who is sensitive now. I through Art Deco in there because I was thinking of a downtown area of a old town around me that has a cool Art Deco style theater downtown. It was just used as a reference to show that each area has positives and negatives. Each area has cool towns and dumpy towns.

Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, and other Sunbelt cities are not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:58 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,064,402 times
Houston
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Phoenix
Detroit

Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
My five least desirable:

1. Houston
2. Baytown
3. Sugarland
4. Katy
5. The Woodlands
Well that's just rude...

Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 PM

341 posts, read 1,338,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Whooaaa there, lets look at who is sensitive now. I through Art Deco in there because I was thinking of a downtown area of a old town around me that has a cool Art Deco style theater downtown. It was just used as a reference to show that each area has positives and negatives. Each area has cool towns and dumpy towns.

Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, and other Sunbelt cities are not for everyone.

So you drew upon your reference of a "town near you" that has 1 art deco style building in it to try and shed light on the positive? Let me try and read that again without laughing so hard

Old 01-13-2009, 03:55 PM

100 posts, read 267,379 times
tulsa okla,nice place to visit but. carson calif,lake elisnore calif,jacksonville fla,little rock ark

Last edited by kbarjae; 01-13-2009 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: missed a leter

Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,194,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
So you drew upon your reference of a "town near you" that has 1 art deco style building in it to try and shed light on the positive? Let me try and read that again without laughing so hard
IMO, we have much nicer architecture than that in the "rust belt."

You're right though, we certainly don't have anything nice up here.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:35 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,647,371 times
1)Seattle-I would like to visit rather than live. I also like going to NBA games.
2)Knoxville-It's a great super-college town but I would need to be in a larger city.
3)Oklahoma City- I've been there and I think Braum's & Bricktown was good but I feel that I'd get sorta bored quick. I also prefer Varsity over Sonic and I like ACC basketball more than the Big12.
4)Anchorage- I think this counts as major, right? Anyway I just wouldn't want to live here ever.
5)Las Veges- I don't gamble at all. If Atlanta can get low on water than I know that this city in the desert can/would easily.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
1) Dallas - Texas and urban sprawl aren't my things
2) Houston - See Dallas
3) Atlanta - Southern culture, traffic, sprawl, crime, oppressive heat - not my style.
4) Charlotte - See Atlanta
5) Nashville - Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live that far south

Old 01-18-2009, 11:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Exactly! Sprawls & malls are now scattered liberally around the countryside. The only thing that makes them "cities" is that someone drew a large-radius line around them and filed a charter. Woo hoo! We're a CITY!
That dosent count as a city? Why wouldnt it? What makes a city a city? Why do you have so mch animosity towards sunbelt sprawl cities?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:06 AM

536 posts, read 2,155,006 times
Least 5

1. Las Vegas
2. Salt Lake City/Nashville tied
3. Dallas
4. Miami
5. Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City