Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rather Live In...
Atlanta 49 31.21%
Los Angeles 108 68.79%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:41 PM

476 posts, read 2,818,160 times

Advertisements

Which is the better city for A interracial couple ( black and white) ?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:54 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If money wasn't an issue, I'd pick L.A. in a heartbeat. More things to do, diversity, nightlife,etc.
Saying if money wasn't an issue isn't really fair imo. Money is a major issue, if not "the" issue in where most people choose to live. I suppose if I had enough money to where money wasn't an issue in living in L.A., I could live just about anywhere and be happy. I bet Detroit is a pretty awesome place to be if you're independantly wealthy and have a huge house with a private police force to guard it. Life in L.A. sucks for those who live there because they have to work like dogs for the privelage of sending their kids to drug, gang-infested schools and live in a concrete jungle of smog and ugliness. I suppose if the question were framed: what city would you rather spend a week or two in visiting its most desirable areas, I might pick L.A. Otherwise, I'll stick with Atlanta.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:08 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Saying if money wasn't an issue isn't really fair imo. Money is a major issue, if not "the" issue in where most people choose to live. I suppose if I had enough money to where money wasn't an issue in living in L.A., I could live just about anywhere and be happy. I bet Detroit is a pretty awesome place to be if you're independantly wealthy and have a huge house with a private police force to guard it. Life in L.A. sucks for those who live there because they have to work like dogs for the privelage of sending their kids to drug, gang-infested schools and live in a concrete jungle of smog and ugliness. I suppose if the question were framed: what city would you rather spend a week or two in visiting its most desirable areas, I might pick L.A. Otherwise, I'll stick with Atlanta.
Being poor sucks in any city. Living in a poor area of Atlanta means drugs, bad schools, gangs, and ghettos just like it does in a poor area of Los Angeles. Atlanta has its share of crime and gangs too, and a higher murder rate than L.A. You can't compare Atlanta and its suburbs to just the city limits of Los Angeles. You would have to compare city limits to city limits or metro to metro. If you include L.A. Metro, you bring beach cities, suburbs, Orange County, Ventura County, etc... into the mix.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:11 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
You can't compare a smaller metro area to Megapolis like LA

Old 01-04-2009, 05:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
ok, I still pick L.A.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:30 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,152 times
LA. It's the far more interesting city of the two.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:54 PM

217 posts, read 292,334 times
[quote=WestCobb;6833749]I have lived in both areas, and I have to pick Atlanta. I think L.A. has one of the highest cost-of-living ratios for what you get in the nation. Conversely, Atlanta has one of the lowest. With its high crime, clogged roads, polluted air and terrible schools, most areas of L.A. are barely habitable. It's crazy to me that people pay top dollar to live that way. [quote]

And all these things you say aren't present in Atlanta. Your crazy.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 PM

217 posts, read 292,334 times
I belive L.A. a great city. Sure it had its bad times but what city hasen't e.g. Chicago

Old 01-04-2009, 07:17 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
[quote=UrbanityRules;6838989][quote=WestCobb;6833749]I have lived in both areas, and I have to pick Atlanta. I think L.A. has one of the highest cost-of-living ratios for what you get in the nation. Conversely, Atlanta has one of the lowest. With its high crime, clogged roads, polluted air and terrible schools, most areas of L.A. are barely habitable. It's crazy to me that people pay top dollar to live that way.
Quote:

And all these things you say aren't present in Atlanta. Your crazy.
Sure Atlanta has some of these things but the big difference is with the amount of money I make I can afford to live in a neighborhood in Atlanta with no gangs, a moderate amount of crime and a decent school. Even with a much better paying job in L.A. I still couldn't afford those things.

Both have horrible traffic but you can avoid it in both towns by picking an intown neighborhood with many amenities near by. Both have pollution and both have a lot of really lousy schools.

Now if I had a huge income L.A. would have alot more to offer than if I were rich living in Atlanta but I'm not rich so that's really irrelevant.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:21 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Sure Atlanta has some of these things but the big difference is with the amount of money I make I can afford to live in a neighborhood in Atlanta with no gangs, a moderate amount of crime and a decent school. Even with a much better paying job in L.A. I still couldn't afford those things.

Both have horrible traffic but you can avoid it in both towns by picking an intown neighborhood with many amenities near by. Both have pollution and both have a lot of really lousy schools.

Now if I had a huge income L.A. would have alot more to offer than if I were rich living in Atlanta but I'm not rich so that's really irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City