Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:32 AM

102 posts, read 123,882 times

Advertisements

Chicago - Evanston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 08:28 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
Atlanta - Sandy Springs
Sandy Springs is nothing more than the incorporated northern suburban extension of the city of Atlanta; it is not a smaller sibling "city" of Atlanta. It could have just as easily been annexed by Atlanta and attempts were made to do just that in the past.

I don't think any one city can be called a smaller sibling city of Atlanta, but there are three good candidates: Birmingham, Charlotte, and Nashville.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:35 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Megacity (super huge city) - Minicity (small little tiny city) pair:

New York - Boston

Minicity - Smalltown pair:

Boston - Portland (ME)

Old 02-27-2017, 08:43 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Washington-Richmond...
Washington-Baltimore

Old 02-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post

New York - Boston
Or New York - Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Washington-Baltimore
You could easily make a case for either.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
I sorta agree with your first sentiments, but at least Sandy Springs is within the same state as Atanta; all the cities you named are at least 2 hours away. Hardly a sibling city.
What does that have to do with anything? I can name several widely recognized sibling cities that are around 2-3 hours away. Memphis and Jackson or Memphis and Little Rock would be good examples. NYC and Philly or NYC and Boston is yet another.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:33 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post

New York - Boston

Minicity - Smalltown pair:

Boston - Portland (ME)
montreal is closer to boston than new york.

for new york i would think brooklyn. which became a part of new york city i think in the 1920's.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
And that means....? Montreal is also in another country and has a different history and culture altogether than Boston.

Quote:
for new york i would think brooklyn. which became a part of new york city i think in the 1920's.
Which means Brooklyn wouldn't count.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:28 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
I don't understand, why Montreal?

Montreal and Boston are an often mentioned pair similar to the pairings of Toronto and Chicago, Vancouver and Seattle, or Miami and Los Angeles. Notice how popular it is to pair these cities up on this forum but in actual real life, meaning reality here, these places are so wildly different from their paired counterparts that it is nebulous to actually pair them in real life. It also begs asking if the person that often pairs these places up has sufficient personal experience to make that judgment.

Yes, I think we can all agree that "on paper" there are several superficial similarities between Montreal and Boston that may get one to think these cities despite being in two different countries and embodying two different linguistic realms have much in common. Factors like colonial history stemming from a European Empire, the walkable pedestrian design in a continent where that feature is hard to truly come by, the colonial architecture, the narrow winding streets, the historic legacies, the establishment of some of North America's first and most prestigious cultural, educational, and social institutions, the mass immigration from culturally linked areas due to historical or linguistic reasons such as French Africans to Montreal or Caribbean Islanders to Boston (due to New England's historical relationship with the West Indies in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries).

These things make one think that the two cities are cut of the same cloth, that they are kins, but in reality the similarities begin and end on paper in superficial ways.

In actual life, as in experiencing both cities on foot or by car or in person, these cities are entirely different in every way. The people in these cities are socially, politically, economically, culturally, linguistically on opposite footings. The way the cities are built, their size, their features are all different. Their infrastructure and transit systems are non-comparable, their geography and climate is different, their entertainment offerings are starkly different and non-comparable in aspects such as nightlife, professional sports, the performing arts, live theater, and the like.

One thing these cities have in common is their emphasis on literature in every way, from production to the historic legacies. Beyond that and the other aforementioned superficial similarities, these cities are nothing alike. If they are siblings, then they are siblings represented by a household where children are adopted, meaning they live in the same house but they don't share biological DNA or parents.

Boston and New York aren't the same either, but they share DNA and you can easily tell they're products of the same family, even despite their overall differences. Not really the case with Montreal and Boston. Montreal feels much larger than Boston on foot and in real life, especially when you start driving out of the city and you can see that it is still there miles out, whereas Boston dissipates outside of its core region and quickly becomes leafy forestation for miles on end.

Boston is its own city a really nice city (albeit very much on the small side) with splendid attributes to its disposal and Montreal is its own city as well. Montreal doesn't have a United States equivalent and vice versa, Canada doesn't have a place in the same fold as a Boston either. The two cities aren't related, not siblings. New York and Boston though? They are siblings.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 02-27-2017 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 PM

504 posts, read 615,733 times
Maybe cousins would be a better way to describe the Boston- Montreal dynamic. As much as you dispute that any meaningful similarities exist I would dispute that. I don't deny there are major differences but they are not as dissimilar as you state. Even the superficial shared historical context you mention means that although they did have some major differences those shared historical similarities would have caused much of their development culturally, socially, politically, and physically to have some important similarities.

Yes they do feel very different when experienced in person, but some of your points are almost comical... for example Montreal feels bigger because you can see the skyline from further away. Oh no I guess NYC isn't that big either because it's skyline is blocked by trees and hills from many areas close to the city as well. Yes that can make it seem smaller, but that is maybe the most superficial unimportant difference you could have brought up when there are much more important differences in the built form of each city.

As far as culture yes there are major differences because they are in different countries and one city is in a french speaking area which does have a lot of cultural impacts they are not entirely different. Both cities and their surrounding regions are considered centers of liberal politics and while the exact form of liberalism is slightly different in each region there are many similarities. Another point of similarity is their literary and academic history both of those aspects have had major effects on each cities regional area and have led to some similarities in the culture and history of each city.

I do agree they are not siblings, but to state they have nothing except superficial similarities with no real substance is disingenuous and inaccurate. That is why I would consider them cousin cities.

Also since you mention Boston being small I do want to point out that Montreal and Boston have essentially comparable metro and urban areas.
Montreal Metro Population: 4,098,927
Boston Metro Population: 4,628,910
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City