Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it possible that LA Metro(CSA) will Surpass NY Metro(CSA)?
Yes ( LA Metro will pass Ny Metro) 64 40.00%
No ( LA Will Not pass Ny Metro) 96 60.00%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,977 times

Advertisements

Not really considering that if the LA CSA moves south it could join the San Diego MSA. Not that San Diego has as much population, but it would only give the NYC - Phili an extra advantage of around 2 or 3m. I think that it will take the LA CSA a long time to pass the NYC area, but like stated above at the rate it has been going for a LONG time now it will eventually happen no matter what happens with the other factors involved. Growth is happening in the LA CSA at a much higher rate than that of the NYC CSA and it isn't asking if it can grow without mass transit etc..., it's just plain ole' happening. One thing I will agree with NYers on is that the LA city population isn't going to pass that of the NYC area for at least a good 150 years...lol. I think that the LA CSA could do it within 40 or 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think there's one important factor here that should be considered, and that's if the New York and Philadelphia MSAs -- being that they are currently separated by hairs -- combine to form one CSA. I'm not saying that would happen in the near future, but that would certainly end any discussion about LA surpassing a mega New York/Philadelphia CSA.
I Know what you mean Some people here think San Diego might combine with LA Metro.It would me Like This

1.NY-Philadelphia CSA-27 Million

2.LA-San Diego CSA-24 Million

This would be to Big what if this Happened.If this would happen in the future They might Change the metro names To New England Metro and Socal Metro how silly.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
If we're talking about the Los Angeles COMBINED STATISTICAL AREA, WHICH INCLUDES SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTIES vs NYC COMBINED STATISTICAL AREAthen I say it's possible. I didnt say it's GONNA happen, but it's possible. Because San Bernardino and the rest of the Inland Empire is still some of the fastest growing areas of the US.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think there's one important factor here that should be considered, and that's if the New York and Philadelphia MSAs -- being that they are currently separated by hairs -- combine to form one CSA. I'm not saying that would happen in the near future, but that would certainly end any discussion about LA surpassing a mega New York/Philadelphia CSA.
No offense but why would Phili form a metro with NYC? There still 2hrs away from each other and Phili is waaaaay too big of city to be combined with another city and be underneath it in a metro area. Even though NYC is larger then Phili by 7million it would still feel weird. They both have there own distinct identity somewhat. Just IMHO.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:15 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
I Know what you mean Some people here think San Diego might combine with LA Metro.It would me Like This

1.NY-Philadelphia CSA-27 Million

2.LA-San Diego CSA-24 Million

This would be to Big what if this Happened.If this would happen in the future They might Change the metro names To New England Metro and Socal Metro how silly.
More likely the Mid Atlantic Metro (New England Metro would be more like NYC and Boston lol) OR god forbid, the Greater Jersey Metropolitian Area! JK. Imagine New Jersey having the last laugh!

As for Socal, nothing personal but it that sounds like some kind of disgusting low calorie health food! You Californians should be able to come up with something better than that. I would suggest Pacific Sun Coast!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:22 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
If we're talking about the Los Angeles COMBINED STATISTICAL AREA, WHICH INCLUDES SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTIES vs NYC COMBINED STATISTICAL AREAthen I say it's possible. I didnt say it's GONNA happen, but it's possible. Because San Bernardino and the rest of the Inland Empire is still some of the fastest growing areas of the US.
Agreed. It is certainly possible but unlikely because of the water issues. They could take water from the farmers in the Central Valley - but that would hurt us all. California farmers grow a large percentage of the food in this country.

Another alternative but expensive is purifying salt water.

Perhaps a better question in the first place is why would the LA area want to grow larger than the current NYC metro area?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Agreed. It is certainly possible but unlikely because of the water issues. They could take water from the farmers in the Central Valley - but that would hurt us all. California farmers grow a large percentage of the food in this country.

Another alternative but expensive is purifying salt water.

Perhaps a better question in the first place is why would the LA area want to grow larger than the current NYC metro area?
Hmm. Very good point. I never thought of it that way.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:26 PM

If they had money to purify salt water then the problem would be DEFINATELY solved (you're never gonna run out of ocean water lol) BUT, that is very difficult and expensive like you said.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,332 times
Frankly, so what???

Does this mean to you that LA is somehow "better" than NYC? If not, then why is this even important?

I just don't understand the egotism behind the idea that "bigger is better."

After all, isn't that what you are saying? If one city is "bigger" than another, somehow it's "better" than the other? That's really the hidden agenda of the OP. It's the idea that somehow people flocking to a particular city means that that city has a knowledge of what constitutes "truth."

Gee, if that's the case, tell me how Detroit (population 3.9 million) is two times better, in terms of basic human resources, than Vienna (population 1.7 million)?

Last edited by Astron1000; 01-21-2009 at 10:42 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,522 times
If LA metro surpassed NY metro, there would be serious quality of life issues in LA. NY will probably have 25 million people within 20 years, so for LA to exceed that number, you will have to pile on more people in a low density, poor public transportation environment.

If I were an LA resident, I would hope Id have MUCH LESS people than NY as a better quality of life with minimal congestion, traffic issues, pollution is much more important than a silly number for bragging rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City