Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
LC really isn't close to EP or Burque downtown wise, and probably never will be, at least in MY lifetime. LC downtown has it's own challenges (many, in fact) but it's more a small town thing where the others are actual CITYs.
I'd hate to see much over 4 or 5 stories in downtown LC, though the new construction there will push that limit. A nice "small town" downtown, mixed use of residence, retail and office space would be ideal to me. I think many people crave an authentic downtown, as opposed to the "could be anywhere USA' soulless strip mall developments. This might not be true of folks under 30 who've known nothing else...I can't say.
I don't think any of these cities has a great downtown...

Old 01-22-2009, 10:47 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeser View Post
Yeah, Cruces' downtown is blah. That really shouldn't affect someone's decision to move here. And speaking of the Organ's, that is the prettiest thing I've ever seen. I hope it never gets ruined with highrises.
In responce to that, LC will only allow the building size up to 15 stories, which is good.. I would love to see highrises in LC soon, Its going to pass the big 100,000 soon and cities that size need skylines.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,694 times
Your comparing apples to oranges. Neither city has any significantly tall skyscrapers! However ABQ's downtown is light years ahead of EP.......nicer, more modern buildings, more progresive, cleaner with more people living downtown and a better downtown redevelopment plan. EP is still in the planning stages and doesn't seem to have made it past that in the last 2 years.
Atlanta, Tampa or Miami have NOTHING to do with this thread!!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:12 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times
True in responce to the comment oon top,

Albuquerque's downtown is infact alot Cleaner, Safer(Yes it is, I work there), and More Updated.
El Paso's needs to be cleaned(I'm not trying to be rude) It's buildings are old and need a lift.

Albuquerque's downtown has 2X more commuters (81,000 on average weekdays on weekends that increases to 83,000) threw it's downtown than El Paso has (On Avergage 68,000)

Albuquerque has more buildings going up then El Paso does, Albuquerque added the Government complex, 4 buildings were added to the Albuquerque skyline in just 2 years and other 5 smaller buildings, comapred to 1 in El Paso, Albuquerque has taller and has three more that are planned, and soon about to groundbreak in late 2009. Albuquerque has an Arena in the works, and a streetcar that is now more certain to happen, Albuquerque also has over 4 Apartment and condo projects that will soon begin in march, each of those buildings is over 4 stories and over 200+ residences. The convention center will be renovated soon, also with a 350+ room hotel tower over 31 stories will break ground in late 2009, this is apart of the arena project....SO HURRY EL PASO, ALBUQUERQUE HAS BEGUN TO BOOM AT A FASTER PACE.

And thats not even including the projects at Uptown (Huge list of projects, Winrock and Abq Uptown will expand and build a 150+ room hotel), and SunCals 190,000+ homes on the west side, and MesaDelSol's 20,000+ homes on the east side, that will boost Albuquerque's population to over 645,000+ before 2030 and 710,000 by 2050. ALbuquerque's Metro is also growing faster than El Pasos as well....

Residences at Packard place will have a Macy's, Starbucks, and a three grocery stores, the downtown of Albuqerque has a list load of plans.. can someone tell me about El Paso?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:26 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,077 times
I'd love for Las Cruces downtown to have some taller buildings. There's really very few places that taller buildings downtown would block anyone's views of the mountains... the few places where it could be possible, the views are already blocked by landscaping. You're better off giving people nice views from their tall buildings that aren't hindered by pesky trees.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:59 AM

56 posts, read 161,770 times
I'm living in DC for the time being, and I really enjoy looking out at the Washington Monument and Capitol Hill. It's great that there isn't any buildings higher than them, except for maybe the National Cathedral (and that looks like a castle). Every city is different and if there is a natural beauty about the place, then it should remain unspoiled.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:07 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Again both el paso and albuquerque skylines are weak and CAN'T compare to downtowns like Atlanta, Tampa and Miami !!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
In responce to that, LC will only allow the building size up to 15 stories, which is good.. I would love to see highrises in LC soon, Its going to pass the big 100,000 soon and cities that size need skylines.

Why?

As was already noted, the Organ Mts. offer the best skyline around.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,762 times
I'm glad for the recent improvements in the downtowns of both Albuquerque and El Paso, and would be glad to read more about them on the Albuquerque and El Paso sub-fora. Since this is the Las Cruces sub-forum, let's talk about downtown 'Cruces, which we can all agree does not compare to either El Paso or Albuquerque.

The new city hall and federal building and the opening of Main Street should give the needed boost to get downtown going in the right direction. The recent success of the new pizza/bakery downtown is adding traffic, and occupies a previouslly vacant building. The renovated Rio Grande theater (oldest adobe theater in NM) is a gem. Has anyone heard of any other restaurants, business, or other attractions considering relocating downtown? What about residential developments per the plan?

On the downside, I'm disappointed that the county chose to build their new administrative building on the outskirts of town. Ditto the new Magistrate Court building going up near LCHS. These major projects would have made an impact downtown.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
TigerLily24 wonders:

> Shouldn't this be in the 'general us' forum?

I'd say no. The only people who know what they are talking
about regarding this subject are already watching.

Example from the [General US forum]: ( might look like )
# ..............................
# Uh, ... dooode? This is the __US__ forum?
# NOT the MEXICO forum? Dooode!! Get a clue!!
# ..............................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City