Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:35 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Pittsburgh is a very large metro, and the city has a very small land area. Only Boston, San Fran, and Miami are smaller in land area. That isn't saying we should get up to a healthy 420,000. But we would never be able to fit Philly's population inside Pittsburgh's boundaries.
There are quite a few cities smaller in land area than Pittsburgh. I think it has roughly 55 square miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 05:00 PM

283 posts, read 597,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I drank tap water out of the Ohio River and it certainly was not clean.

I loath the hills of Appalachia. I know that's my opinion, but I know I'm not alone in my view. Those hills create a depressing environment and an isolating effect not felt anywhere else in the country.

Almost feel sorry for Pittsburgh. Growing a large city in the middle of Appalachia is an uphill battle.
Just curious, are you a Bengals fan?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:10 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
Just curious, are you a Bengals fan?
Nope, why do you ask?

I'm not sure why everyone is so riled up. Let's review my opinion: 1) I said Appalachia is a scary place 2) Pittsburgh has hills I dislike 3) The Pittsburgh area has dirty tap water (maybe not the whole area, maybe it was just in my case). I'm member with an opinion first, then a Moderator. If Pittsburgh wasn't pitted against my hometown I wouldn't have said anything at all. People were so fast to dismiss Syracuse..... and in my opinion Pittsburgh is one of the last places I'd want to live. I'm just trying to let others know that there are people out there who like Syracuse over Pittsburgh.

Generally most people want to like Pittsburgh based on its impressive skyline and name recognition, but tend to overlook the negatives about the Pittsburgh area.

On the other hand, most people want to dislike the Syracuse area based on it's lackluster skyline and lack of name recognition, but tend to overlook the positives about the Syracuse area.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-30-2009 at 08:43 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:24 PM

172 posts, read 843,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Yeah, if fact, our rivers are so clean that certain variety of shrimp that need the cleanest water live, even in the Mon.
No those rivers are filthy

Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt it; anyway, I think comparing a city to a vast region is comparing apples and oranges.

And what on earth makes you think this happens in Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh is so conservative, much more than Syracuse

Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Default It is scary

[quote=ainulinale;7200572]OOooooo, eeeeeee, I'm sooooo scared!

Appalachia is one of the scariest places I have ever been to. It is a slum, with high crime rates

Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspeople View Post
No those rivers are filthy
Dr. Argent disagrees with you. From the Post-Gazette on the finding of grass shrimp in our "dirtiest" river, the Mon:

"The discovery is significant because the species, known as Palaemonetes kadiakensis, is native to the Mississippi River basin -- of which the Mon is a part -- and an indication of good water quality, Dr. Argent said. More than half of the 11 shrimp he caught carried eggs."

Also, I suppose Bass Master's felt they should have their tournament in the filthy three rivers...how dumb are they...I guess they forgot to consult you and bellafinzi.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspeople View Post

Appalachia is one of the scariest places I have ever been to. It is a slum, with high crime rates
Didn't I just show you pictures of "Appalachia?" Does it look like I live in a slum? Here are some more slummy pictures I took today:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6352/1002437es4.jpg (broken link)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4382/1002481bf1.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-31-2009, 09:47 AM

sorry, jk, I was kidding, I was bored so I just said that. didn't mean it seriously, and I won't say that again

Old 01-31-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Dr. Argent disagrees with you. From the Post-Gazette on the finding of grass shrimp in our "dirtiest" river, the Mon:

"The discovery is significant because the species, known as Palaemonetes kadiakensis, is native to the Mississippi River basin -- of which the Mon is a part -- and an indication of good water quality, Dr. Argent said. More than half of the 11 shrimp he caught carried eggs."

Also, I suppose Bass Master's felt they should have their tournament in the filthy three rivers...how dumb are they...I guess they forgot to consult you and bellafinzi.
yeah the water is clean. Cleaner than the Schuylkill or the Delaware river
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City