Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
LOL Talk to the American Institute of Architects and the people who voted in the other (larger, more scientific) polls Chicago won. New York is nice for size, Chicago for beauty.
Uh, no. New York for size. New York for beauty.

In any case, I find it funny that The American Institute of Architects recently created an exhibit about Amerca's favorite buildings:

1. Empire State Building.
2. Edgar Kaugmann Residence,
3. Chrysler Building,
4. Golden Gate Bridhe,
5. Flatiron Building
6. The White House
7. Washington National Cathedral
8. Thomas Jefferson Memorial
9. Golden Gate Bridge

America's Favorite Architecture

What happened to Chicago?

I'll bet anything that 95% people in the United States couldn't even name one building or piece of architecture in Chicago. Everybody knows the Empire State Building, everybody knows the Statue of Liberty and everybody knows the Golden Gate Bridge. What building in Chicago could have be held in the same sentance as any of these masterpieces? Hancock Tower? LOL. I am into architecture and I can not even name one special piece of architecture in that entire city.

Last edited by Americanboy; 04-11-2009 at 11:20 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 11:08 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
And why would it matter if New York City's large population increase comes from domestic or international migration and what makes you think that the domestic transplants infliltrating cities like Houston and Charlotte are loyal to those cities?

International migration in New York has always been steady and will always boost the population. Is this fact new to you? That's New York. It's the way it's been in the past and it's the way it will always be.
There are many people who want to put strict limits on immigration, so the city's growth can stop depending on political whims. The bad economy doesn't help either.

BTW, NYC lost population in the 70s so it's not unprecedented. It took NYC almost 20 years to re-gain the population it had lost in the 70s.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:18 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,289,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
There are many people who want to put strict limits on immigration, so the city's growth can stop depending on political whims. The bad economy doesn't help either.

BTW, NYC lost population in the 70s so it's not unprecedented. It took NYC almost 20 years to re-gain the population it had lost in the 70s.
Not all the immigrants are illegal dishwashers, big part of NYC doctors and other professionals (IT), media are foreigners. There is also no other American city with so many foreign corporations. Everybody wants to be represented in New York or rather close to Wall Street.

Yeah, and righfully so. NYC in the late 70 and 80's was not a pleasant place to be... I think until Guliani took over New York was as bad as they depict it in the movies.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:57 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:

In any case, I find it funny that The American Institute of Architects recently created an exhibit about Amerca's favorite buildings:

3. Chrysler Building,
4. Golden Gate Bridhe,
5. Flatiron Building
6. The White House
9. Golden Gate Bridge

I'll bet anything that 95% people in the United States couldn't even name one building or piece of architecture in Chicago. Everybody knows the Empire State Building, everybody knows the Statue of Liberty and everybody knows the Golden Gate Bridge. What building in Chicago could have be held in the same sentance as any of these masterpieces? Hancock Tower? LOL. I am into architecture and I can not even name one special piece of architecture in that entire city.
Makes sense to me. NYC has some recognizable buildings. Chicago has a better overall skyline. There is a difference between the two, you know Not every single building in NYC is like Empire State Building

BTW, your rankings don't quite match with the link you posted. What are you trying to pull on us?!?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 AM

734 posts, read 2,053,006 times
LOL he said Flatiron was 5th?! They have it at 72nd! LOL euro

Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Makes sense to me. NYC has some recognizable buildings. Chicago has a better overall skyline. There is a difference between the two, you know Not every single building in NYC is like Empire State Building

BTW, your rankings don't quite match with the link you posted. What are you trying to pull on us?!?
You are right. Right now we have:

Edgar Kaufmann
Chrysler
Empire
Golden Gate
Guggenheim

So, there are three structures from New York and none from Chicago.
I know, I know, Guggenhiem was designed by some guy from Oak Park.
I know, I know, not some guy but Frank Lloyd Wright. I have been to his house in Oak Park. I know.

Anyways, donde esta Chicago? Can't see any of the, ahem, famous Chicago buildings like Hancock or Willis Tower? What gives? Aren't they as famous as you thought they were?
And yes, skyline is made by structures not trees or mountains. And New York has hundreads if not thousands of architectural wonders. By the way, long gone Twin Tower are ranked 19 while Sears Tower measly 38. Wow. Sears lost to buldings that do not exist anymore... Wow. Case closed.

PS. I can almost hear you clicking on that link to get to the AIA website and "fix" the results the "Chicago way". Happy clicking Congress seat, anyone?

Last edited by dementor; 04-12-2009 at 01:02 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 01:06 AM

49 posts, read 99,992 times
Quote:

Come on, really? So you named 3 landmarks in the entire US, so no other city has a great building because the “name” is not widely know. I bet most people don’t know the name Christ the Redeemer but can place it in Brazil or London’s Piccadilly Circus when shown a picture. Do you really think most Americans will not instantly recognized the Sears, Board of Trade, the Hancock, or the Marshall Fields’ clock, hell the lions at the Art Institute. (Try them in google see what are the first links and/or images).

Name recognition is a small part, I’ll take your bet and raise you. IF we showed non New Yorkers any bridge connected to Manhattan guess what they’ll call it?

In closing based on your logic if “unsophisticated non-New Yokers” cannot name a building/land mark it not important.

By no means is this slight to NY, I actually love NY and understands how it’s significant to the US.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 AM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times
Quote:

3. Chrysler Building,
4. Golden Gate Bridhe,
5. Flatiron Building
6. The White House
9. Golden Gate Bridge

... Everyone knows Britney Spears. Everyone knows the Backstreet Boys. Everyone knows Lady GaGa. However, how many people could hum a Tchaikovsky or a Dvořák? How many people have even heard of Tchaikovsky or Dvořák?

Is it starting to sink in? Maybe there is more to quality than public praise. It's thinking like that that got Obama elected.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
... Everyone knows Britney Spears. Everyone knows the Backstreet Boys. Everyone knows Lady GaGa. However, how many people could hum a Tchaikovsky or a Dvořák? How many people have even heard of Tchaikovsky or Dvořák?

Is it starting to sink in? Maybe there is more to quality than public praise. It's thinking like that that got Obama elected.
I haven't heard that much nonsense in a single post lately. LOL

Old 04-12-2009, 02:45 AM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I haven't heard that much nonsense in a single post lately. LOL
Thanks. You do realize that you just said my post didn't have "that much nonsense" in it, right?

You really phoned it in on that one, little guy.

EDIT: I just realized what dementor meant. He meant he has never heard of those composers, and therefore their names are nonsense to him. Also, the idea that popular opinion does not determine a subject's quality is absurd to him. That's what he meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City