Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,060,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
And you better where am I from Back to your post, your logic is flawed, your post implies that celebrities floc to New York because it has some of the most expensive real estate in the world. It is the other way around, the real estate in New York is so expensive because the city is so appealing.
The point about clebrities is that Chicago does not offer much or not enough to make itself appealeing to people with means. It's cultural life, no matter how many praises you sing, is not as vibrant as you present it as it is largely ignored with our cultural elite. There is not much going on in Chicago hence topics such as hotdogs. Are you surprised that celebrities do not want to be a part of this?
I'm not surprised one bit!...

Old 03-24-2009, 04:10 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,276,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Paaalease with that. Go into a bar and start bum-rapping Pittsburgh. More than likely, someone will end up smacking you. Pittsburgh'ers just have a different outlook on things compared to most any other place. Most Pittsburgh'ers ain't afraid to point out their faults, and that includes the 'city' of Pittsburgh. A Pittsburgh'er to me, has a lot more realistic outlook on life, than most people that you'll ever come across.
You can walk to a bar in New York and start complaining about life in the city. Most people will start complaining with you. New York is the complaining capitol of the world. It does not mean that people are not proud of their city but that they are mature enough to realize its shortcomings and see things that should improve.

Now, in Chicago, even slight criticism of the city is taken as a personal assault. People there and in this forum will defend the indefendable such as harsh weather, terrible traffic or potholes. They will make claims such as the one posted by Spire few pages ago about Chicago being "the best cosmopolitan city" without even thinking if they have any supporting evidence. This is again very childish. You want to badmouth the Yankees, you can do it but do not be surprised when people remind you that there is no other team holding as many national titles as them, but no New Yorker will ever claim that New York and not LA is the center of American film industry. This would be absurd.

It's a matter of balance and Chicago is very bad at this as the undelying inferiority complex forces people to make absurd claims and blow things like potential Olympics or Obama's presidency out of proportions.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,546,447 times
Quote:
Entertainment and culture 'if' you can afford them. Somebody who's struggling to make ends meet, could care less about those things, especially the "culture".
That's a good point that is lost in these discussions of cultural attractions. I saw Wicked not too long ago and two tickets set me back $210. A couple weeks ago I saw a play (Our Town) with David Schwimmer and tix were $30 each. Dinner for two in a decent restaurant is at least $100 with drinks. It's tough to justify those expenses on a regular basis, no matter how well off you are, in this economy.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Everyone KNOWS that the hot dogs in NYC are better than in Chicago! NY'ers might talk about them when they're away from NYC, like when they're visiting Chicago. That's just cause they can't find ANY good ones either!

Don't get me started on the SOFT Pretzel's in Chicago either! They're the WORLD'S WORSE! Who told the people in Chicago, that SOFT Pretzel's are suppose to be coated with butter? I gagged on them! Horrible!....
Chicago bagels are also absolutely substandard...

Old 03-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - Can Pittsburgh save Detroit? « - Blogs from CNN.com

Whoever think's that Detroit is in "better" shape than Pittsburgh, READ this!

P.S. Spire, you SHOULD read this, and then post a comment. Or I should say, a "retraction"!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
It's kind of hard to not point out faults when you live not only in a declining city, but a declining region. At least Detroit's metro area continues to grow, its just the city that's collapsing.

So is Chicago. The city is loosing population, city hall is nealy bancrupt and the mayor mortgages the future by renting all sources of revenue like parking meters, airports, highways to cover up current budget gap.

Anyways, what about your claim of Chicago being the "best cosmopolitan city". Do you see how absurd this claim is? There is nothing cosmopolitan about Chicago unless you compare it to Peoria or Milwaukee.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,712,482 times
Let me remind you all that this is a SKYLINE thread about NEW YORK AND CHICAGO

Old 03-24-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Its not but its convenient when im running around i want something quick to snack on.
That's what the hot dog is for. It's not a romantic dinner for two - it's quick snack during the day. ALmost the same with pizza, in New York slice of pizza with pizzerias being on almost every corner is a quick snack, nothing to talk about or to discuss. Of course there are better and worse pizzerias but again pizza very seldom makes a romantic dinner for two.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Chicago bagels are also absolutely substandard...
Try finding a deli in Chicago(don't want to confuse them by saying Bodega)!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Let me remind you all that this is a SKYLINE thread about NEW YORK AND CHICAGO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City