Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 PM

177 posts, read 479,692 times

Advertisements

I didnt know manhattan was downtown. I thought downtown was in manhattan. UWS and Harlem, Wash Hgts are NOT downtown. You could argue UES, maybe. If you want to expand NYs downtown you have to be fair and do the same with chicago. Chicagos is obviously much smaller, noone is even arguing this, but areas like uptown and rogers park are actually among the densest neighborhoods in Chicago and they are 9-12 miles north of the loop. A comparable 23 sq mile continuous area would be from the loop to evanston, and include hoods like Wicker Park/west town, logan square, LP, lakeview, uptown, edgewater, Rogers park, Lincoln Square and other north and northwest hoods; added up a population of close to 0.75 Million people. Of course less than Manhattan's 1.6 million, but no other US city, including LA or SF could match chicago for vastness of continual urban density. In other words, chicago is no slouch either, and I think its time for the haters to recognize this.

Chicagos entire skyline wont fit in central park either, which is only 2.25 miles by .5 miles, so stop being silly (only about 1.1 square miles?)! The loop alone is 1.6 square miles, and is already filled to the brim with skyscrapers and highrises. No need to even include river north, mag mile/gold coast, or the 12 mile stretch of buildings going north, or near south and hyde park. So there goes that stupid argument.

If demented and pittswhatevertheeffyournameis want to continually diss a beautiful city and skyline like Chicago, please quit lying and exaggerating. Keep it realistic. Ive presented facts.

I will reiterate that I also love NYC, and their somewhat asenine forumers here (not all of their forumers, just some) are purely exceptions and do not represent their city for the most part. Most folks Ive met in NYC see Chi as another, somewhat lesser, great city. Of course they love their city more, but thats expected. These cities share a common history and will forever be linked. Yes, there is a small rivalry, particularly with skylines, but they are very different cities and each can be appreciated. And liking either of them is subjective.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:11 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Let's cut to the chase
1. Hell no would Manhattan fit into Chicago's downtown. That's just BS.
2. There are many celebrities from Brooklyn and there are many who live in Brooklyn
3. this may be a little off topic but even if a celebrity lives in your area..WHO CARES!! Lets be real for a sec, the only thing they do is jack up mortgages and rents. Besides what the hell will a celebrity do for u other than entertainment
4. chicago has the tallest building in the western hemisphere(just thought I'd like to add that)
5. Why the hell is this thread so long
6. Why in the world is Dementor bringing up restaurants This is about skylines not food in your stomach dude.
7. why do NYC ____ vs. chicago____ threads last so long

Old 03-24-2009, 05:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
^^I agree with just about everything you say.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:24 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^I agree with just about everything you say.
Thank you. And BTW Dementor, say what you want about the mid-west but if there was no mid-west you'd probably have no food on your table therefore you would'nt have enough energy to b*tch about chicago all the time. Seriously this is getting rediculous

Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Running with the tail between your legs as expected Good. You got it all wrong, again, buddy. Celebrities live all around NY metro, for example Baldwins, Billy Joel and Howard Stern live in Long Island, Letterman in New Jersey and Paul Newman used to live in Connecticut until his death. Those were just examples not the full list.
Tri-state area is full of celebrities, the city and region attracts the cutting edge personalities. They do however avoid Chicago despite it's "vibrant culture" and "great food". Do you guys know how to draw conclusions?
You seriously need to get out. Now you're talking e-trash? You probably live in Detroit or something which would explain your immense hate for Chicago, but I could care less what you hate. Your life is insignificant in the grand scheme. Do you honestly think that anything is going to come of your non stop bashing of Chicago? Do you think anyone really cares about what you have to say?

Quote:
She got it wrong, the entire Chicago downtonw (the Loop) would fit into Central Park. It is amazing though how ignorant some folks in Chicago are.
The Loop is a part of Chicago's Central Business District. You should know this since you've lived in Chicago . How many times will you be caught in a lie before you finally admit you're lying...

Quote:
Yup. The "tough" Chicago had to be organized by a New Yorker

If it was not for Capone most people around the world would never heard of Chicago so Chicago owes its fame to New York.
I really laughed at you on this one. Are you so desperate to be accepted by New York that you bash Chicago nonstop. Obviously you feel threatened by the city if you feel the need to talk down about it this much.

Seems like New York is the big fat kid on the playground that has low self esteem so it tries to pick on everyone else. Too bad people are actually standing up for their cities now. This isn't 1930 anymore...New York is nowhere near the level it once was. Can you get over that?

TO STEELERS: That's really interesting, but aren't there only so many medical positions/teaching positions to go around...? It's not like the city can thrive off of teachers...

Old 03-24-2009, 06:33 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Thank you. And BTW Dementor, say what you want about the mid-west but if there was no mid-west you'd probably have no food on your table therefore you would'nt have enough energy to b*tch about chicago all the time. Seriously this is getting rediculous
Let him say anything he wants. His ignorance proves that the joke this whole time has been on him.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
I didnt know manhattan was downtown. I thought downtown was in manhattan. UWS and Harlem, Wash Hgts are NOT downtown. You could argue UES, maybe. If you want to expand NYs downtown you have to be fair and do the same with chicago. Chicagos is obviously much smaller, noone is even arguing this, but areas like uptown and rogers park are actually among the densest neighborhoods in Chicago and they are 9-12 miles north of the loop. A comparable 23 sq mile continuous area would be from the loop to evanston, and include hoods like Wicker Park/west town, logan square, LP, lakeview, uptown, edgewater, Rogers park, Lincoln Square and other north and northwest hoods; added up a population of close to 0.75 Million people. Of course less than Manhattan's 1.6 million, but no other US city, including LA or SF could match chicago for vastness of continual urban density. In other words, chicago is no slouch either, and I think its time for the haters to recognize this.

Chicagos entire skyline wont fit in central park either, which is only 2.25 miles by .5 miles, so stop being silly (only about 1.1 square miles?)! The loop alone is 1.6 square miles, and is already filled to the brim with skyscrapers and highrises. No need to even include river north, mag mile/gold coast, or the 12 mile stretch of buildings going north, or near south and hyde park. So there goes that stupid argument.

If demented and pittswhatevertheeffyournameis want to continually diss a beautiful city and skyline like Chicago, please quit lying and exaggerating. Keep it realistic. Ive presented facts.

I will reiterate that I also love NYC, and their somewhat asenine forumers here (not all of their forumers, just some) are purely exceptions and do not represent their city for the most part. Most folks Ive met in NYC see Chi as another, somewhat lesser, great city. Of course they love their city more, but thats expected. These cities share a common history and will forever be linked. Yes, there is a small rivalry, particularly with skylines, but they are very different cities and each can be appreciated. And liking either of them is subjective.
Lucky for you, I'm here to 'school' you these matters.... Mannhattan is downtown. It's downtown in the sense, that's where all the finance business, etc is located. Mannhattan has a "Downtown, Midtown, and Uptown, as does MOST downtowns. Pittsburgh is much smaller, and it has all three.

'If' you can't grasp this idea, you're lost then. By the way, you think the outer-boroughs don't have highrises either?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:46 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
You seriously need to get out. Now you're talking e-trash? You probably live in Detroit or something which would explain your immense hate for Chicago, but I could care less what you hate. Your life is insignificant in the grand scheme. Do you honestly think that anything is going to come of your non stop bashing of Chicago? Do you think anyone really cares about what you have to say?

The Loop is a part of Chicago's Central Business District. You should know this since you've lived in Chicago . How many times will you be caught in a lie before you finally admit you're lying...

I really laughed at you on this one. Are you so desperate to be accepted by New York that you bash Chicago nonstop. Obviously you feel threatened by the city if you feel the need to talk down about it this much.

Seems like New York is the big fat kid on the playground that has low self esteem so it tries to pick on everyone else. Too bad people are actually standing up for their cities now. This isn't 1930 anymore...New York is nowhere near the level it once was. Can you get over that?

TO STEELERS: That's really interesting, but aren't there only so many medical positions/teaching positions to go around...? It's not like the city can thrive off of teachers...
Well, he said, "Pittsburgh is not surviving, it's THRIVING". Look how the article is titled, "Can Pittsburgh save Detroit". Appartenly, you're the ONLY one who believes that Detroit is in better shape than Pittsburgh. The "facts" certainly don't back up your statements. Are you going to post a retraction?....
Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - Can Pittsburgh save Detroit? « - Blogs from CNN.com

Old 03-24-2009, 06:49 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
What, one restaurant we don't know about?..... Pittsburgh crushes chicago in terms of italian restaurants.

Quote:
no, fontano's is lost on the world and believe me, the entire world from paris to hong kong is crying....
Not too mention owners of italian restaurants in little italy and all over the city? Don't you realize that italian food in new york is much better simply because the italian population in the metro area is the largest in the us?
Even the most famous "chicagoan" al capone was actually a new yorker.

By the way, don't you think that if chicago's food was as good as you say it is the clebrities would either move or frequent this city to dine and enjoy it? Can you draw conclusions on your own or you require a command to do that?
lol

Old 03-24-2009, 06:53 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,799 times
And stop taking dem so seriously. He already admitted he was lying about living in Chicago, or even visiting Chicago. He's never been. He's said so. Play with him, laugh at him, but don't get worked up over him.

pitt's kinda the same way, but he's just ****ing around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City