Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:19 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,546,447 times

Advertisements

I think you're placing way too much emphasis on Broadway. In all my time living abroad, I never met one person who could name any (at the time) current Broadway productions, or gave two ****s about Broadway. However, they loved going to the theater to see Hollywood blockbusters.

And I'll use your line from above. Is NY better than Chicago? It's a matter of taste. NY is not for everyone, nor is Chicago. Is New York more important globally than Chicago? Of course, but so what? Not everyone can, nor wants to live in (arguably) the capital of the world.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:30 PM

464 posts, read 1,075,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Not only started on Broadway but Wicked is simply a part of an ongoing effort to bring some long running and nearing end of life shows to Chicago called "Broadway in Chicago". Few local theaters hosts those travelling production that stay in Chicago for some time before they move to other cities.
Of course, Chicagoans claim that this way they get pretty much the same shows as New York "forgetting" that first if all New York has 39 big professional stages, the shows move to Chicago after many years on Broadway and lack the casts and stars that made the original shows famous. See the link below. It clearly proves who is copying who....

Broadway in Chicago Show and Theatre Tickets
It doesn't matter if it started in New York, the fact is that it was a huge hit in Chicago. I can say the same thing for the modern skyscraper. The first one was built in Chicago, but New York made them famous

Old 03-28-2009, 02:32 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,010,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I think you're placing way too much emphasis on Broadway. In all my time living abroad, I never met one person who could name any (at the time) current Broadway productions, or gave two ****s about Broadway. However, they loved going to the theater to see Hollywood blockbusters.

And I'll use your line from above. Is NY better than Chicago? It's a matter of taste. NY is not for everyone, nor is Chicago. Is New York more important globally than Chicago? Of course, but so what? Not everyone can, nor wants to live in (arguably) the capital of the world.
Im sure that seems a little odd in both ways.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:56 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,276,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
It doesn't matter if it started in New York, the fact is that it was a huge hit in Chicago.

So what if it was a hit in Chicago? It was a big hit in London, Tokyo, San Francisco, Stuttgart, Melbourne and LA. Do you think anyone associates Wicked with Chicago and not Broadway? It's a Broadway style show. Broadway original. Period. You Chicago guys are so funny in your Chicagocentrism.

Last edited by dementor; 03-28-2009 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I do not think you know what you are talking about. Broadway is one of the major tourist attractions of New York. Nobody leaves New York without catching a show and there are people who fly across the country or across continents to be a part of this experience. New York gets 8 million foreign tourists a year, nearly 8 times as many as Chicago. What do you think draws them to the city? It's not climate and not pyramids, genius.

Quote:
That's not the point. The point is that only New York deliveres world class aspects of urban life such as art, entertainment and general culture.

Last edited by dementor; 03-28-2009 at 04:17 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I do not think you know what you are talking about. Broadway is one of the major tourist attractions of New York. Nobody leaves New York without catching a show and there are people who fly across the country or across continents to be a part of this experience. New York gets 8 million foreign tourists a year, nearly 8 times as many as Chicago. What do you think draws them to the city? It's not climate and not pyramids, genius.

That's not the point. The point is that only New York deliveres world class aspects of urban life such as art, entertainment and general culture.
Look, I don't know how difficult it is to comprehend. Broadway is not a big deal abroad. Most international travelers do not travel to NYC exclusively to see a show; they go to see Times Square, Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty and the top of the Empire State Building, etc. and they might also go to a Broadway show because it is part of the tourist experience. You will not however walk into a pub in Prague and find people discussing Avenue Q.

Obviously, Chicago does not compare to NYC in international importance, cultural events, tourism, population, etc. But that doesn't mean that it's a slouch either...what was it #20 in global culture on that list you love to post? That's not too bad considering after NY, London and Paris the next group of cities probably gets closer to each other. I don't know why your panties are in such a bunch...there are over 300 million people in the US and only 7+ million live in NYC. I'd live there if I could but my wife hates it, and we both have very good jobs here. Chicago's not a bad consolation prize. If you don't like it, stay at home (or get a new job) and stop whining about it.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 PM

And as for the topic at hand, I'll reiterate my view on the skylines: New York's is more impressive. Chicago's is more photogenic because there are vantage points where you can view most of the skyline at once, and not just pieces of it. But they're both great and I don't see how any unbiased person could have a problem with either.

I'll also reiterate that working or living in a steel & glass tower is much better than an art deco 1920s-1950s tower. The older towers are prettier, but less functional unfortunately.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Look, I don't know how difficult it is to comprehend. Broadway is not a big deal abroad. Most international travelers do not travel to NYC exclusively to see a show; they go to see Times Square, Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty and the top of the Empire State Building, etc. and they might also go to a Broadway show because it is part of the tourist experience. You will not however walk into a pub in Prague and find people discussing Avenue Q.

Broadway not a big deal abroad just because people you know do not think it is? Of course it is a big deal. If a production is succesful in New York it will surely open in London. Wicked, which Spire brought up, can server as a good example as its success on Broadway prompted the show to be staged not only in London but in Melbourne, Tokyo and Stutgard. pretty much around the world. Broadway is being watched and admired around the world and actors and directors dream of being able to play on those stages. Of course it is not discussed in every conversation in every bar, just the same it is not discussed in every conversation in every bar in New York but the professionals and buffs surely watch Broadway's developments.

And yes, I still claim Broadway is one of the biggest New York's attractions and draws. You see, New York is not Paris, Rome or Athens, you do not necessarily come here to admire thousand years old achitecture but to feel the culture of the city of which Broadway is a pivotal part. There is only one place on the planet with 39 theaters over 500 seats. There is only one place on the planet with such concentration of theater. I think the next time in New York you should ask a concierge what are the most coveted by foreign tourists items... Do some research.

Quote:
I don't know why your panties are in such a bunch...there are over 300 million people in the US and only 7+ million live in NYC. I'd live there if I could but my wife hates it, and we both have very good jobs here. Chicago's not a bad consolation prize. If you don't like it, stay at home (or get a new job) and stop whining about it.
It's like saying that since you can't get Yankees season tickets you will become a Cubs' fan. It does not work this way, even though the tickets are cheaper and easier to obtain the experience is not quite the same. There are no consolation prizes in sport and arts. And... thanks for the tip.

Last edited by dementor; 03-28-2009 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 05:35 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
in my exp the theater troupes in NYC have been a lot better than Chicago... I always thought this was quite obvious... I mean, Houston has a bigger theater district than Chicago. Hey I love Chicago, but lets not compare apples to oranges.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
in my exp the theater troupes in NYC have been a lot better than Chicago... I always thought this was quite obvious... I mean, Houston has a bigger theater district than Chicago. Hey I love Chicago, but lets not compare apples to oranges.
I don't even know where this Broadway argument is coming from. I mean Broadway-type productions are such a small part of any city's (including NY's) cultural scene that this whole argument is kind of pointless. I'll take a small intimate venue with a bare set that relies on the performers over the razzle-dazzle production of Broadway any day.

Obviously Chicago's theatre scene does not compare to NY's but that doesn't mean it's bad. And yes there are consolation prizes in cities and arts scenes otherwise NYC would be uninhabited, as 3 billion people would live in London and Paris, respectively. Thankfully this isn't the case and we have culture spread out to many different locations.

Whatever happened to talking about skylines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City