Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:00 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Look, I don't know how difficult it is to comprehend. Broadway is not a big deal abroad. Most international travelers do not travel to NYC exclusively to see a show; they go to see Times Square, Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty and the top of the Empire State Building, etc. and they might also go to a Broadway show because it is part of the tourist experience. You will not however walk into a pub in Prague and find people discussing Avenue Q.

Obviously, Chicago does not compare to NYC in international importance, cultural events, tourism, population, etc. But that doesn't mean that it's a slouch either...what was it #20 in global culture on that list you love to post? That's not too bad considering after NY, London and Paris the next group of cities probably gets closer to each other. I don't know why your panties are in such a bunch...there are over 300 million people in the US and only 7+ million live in NYC. I'd live there if I could but my wife hates it, and we both have very good jobs here. Chicago's not a bad consolation prize. If you don't like it, stay at home (or get a new job) and stop whining about it.
Its actually 8+ million or nearly 9 million but you have 22 million people living in the surrounding area.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:02 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
Look, I don't know how difficult it is to comprehend. Broadway is not a big deal abroad. Most international travelers do not travel to NYC exclusively to see a show; they go to see Times Square, Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty and the top of the Empire State Building, etc. and they might also go to a Broadway show because it is part of the tourist experience. You will not however walk into a pub in Prague and find people discussing Avenue Q.

Obviously, Chicago does not compare to NYC in international importance, cultural events, tourism, population, etc. But that doesn't mean that it's a slouch either...what was it #20 in global culture on that list you love to post? That's not too bad considering after NY, London and Paris the next group of cities probably gets closer to each other. I don't know why your panties are in such a bunch...there are over 300 million people in the US and only 7+ million live in NYC. I'd live there if I could but my wife hates it, and we both have very good jobs here. Chicago's not a bad consolation prize. If you don't like it, stay at home (or get a new job) and stop whining about it.

NYC has over 8.2 million people!.......

Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,558,690 times
Whooooossh. Doesn't change my point that not everyone can live in NYC. Forest > trees.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Whooooossh. Doesn't change my point that not everyone can live in NYC. Forest > trees.
Have you ever been outside of mannhattan to the outer bouroughs?...

Old 03-28-2009, 05:24 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,217 times
Quote:
Obviously Chicago's theatre scene does not compare to NY's but that doesn't mean it's bad. And yes there are consolation prizes in cities and arts scenes otherwise NYC would be uninhabited, as 3 billion people would live in London and Paris, respectively.
There are no consolation prizes in arts and sports and nobody considers New York's cultural life below that of Paris or London. When it comes to theater New York is probably on top having massive Broadway, off-Broadway, off-off Broadway concentration of theaters and pretty much the same is true for all of the performing arts. Those three cities are global cultural hubs and it is hard to talk about overall domination here.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:38 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,799 times
Quote:
Whatever happened to talking about skylines?
That died when they realized they overwhelmingly lost the architectural discussion. Now we're talking about glorified Vegas shows- oops I mean Broadway.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Wow, seriously? glorified Vegas shows?

Old 03-28-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
That died when they realized they overwhelmingly lost the architectural discussion. Now we're talking about glorified Vegas shows- oops I mean Broadway.
How many Oscar 'winning' (or even nominated) actors are playing in Vegas shows?...........

Old 03-28-2009, 05:52 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,799 times
LOL It's called the Tony, not the Oscar. But a show is a show is a show. Singing and dancing, blah blah blah. It's nice but not the OMGINTERNATIONALCULTURALEXPERIENCE some make it out to be.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:52 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,558,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
There are no consolation prizes in arts and sports and nobody considers New York's cultural life below that of Paris or London. When it comes to theater New York is probably on top having massive Broadway, off-Broadway, off-off Broadway concentration of theaters and pretty much the same is true for all of the performing arts. Those three cities are global cultural hubs and it is hard to talk about overall domination here.
Ask Arsenal and Chelsea supporters if they're all broken up over only winning the Premiership instead of the Champions League. They're perfectly fine. And Fulham supporters are thrilled that their club has fought off relegation. You need to broaden your sports analogies beyond America, and develop some nuance.

Question: Would you say that Munich, Dublin, Istanbul, etc. are cultural wastelands? How about Vilnius, the current cultural capital of Europe?

Pittsteelerfan - if you love the outerboroughs so much, get off your knees and move there. One of my good friends lives in Brooklyn, and another on Staten Island.

Interesting that nobody quotes my posts about the skyline...that's what this thread is about right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City