Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: L.A or Houston??
L.A 32 61.54%
Houston 20 38.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You didn't have to take it so literal. It's not something people seem to do for Easter here. No one I know awaited crawfish season.
Baton Rouge is more inland than Houston. That has nothing to do with it.

Ok Houston does everything...
Baton Rouge is on a major river. That's not quite the same thing. Not at all, actually. And no one said Houston does everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Oh city vs city, what a hoot.
Did not expect to read arguments over crawfish when I clicked the last couple pages. Lol
Who's arguing, though? I'm just clearing away some misconceptions.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Baton Rouge is on a major river. That's not quite the same thing. Not at all, actually. And no one said Houston does everything.

Who's arguing, though? I'm just clearing away some misconceptions.
Our crawfish doesn't come from the Mississippi...
Houston is is on the shipping channel, much closer to the actual coast. Which is irrelevant anyway.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Did not expect an argument with someone with limited experience with a topic, oh wait this is CD.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but were you not the one who was just proven incorrect?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
You sound just like the New Yorkers. Texas' argument was that the shuttle was relevant to Houston's NASA community (which it is). And they could have used the tourist dollars. NY only wanted it just to say they can have it, out of greed, in my honest opinion. You should have heard some of the news coverage on it. New York bullied its way thru this whole ordeal
This should be a wake up call to Houston. They can't keep half-assing on everything they do. They should have submitted a plan that would have displayed the shuttle in the best way possible. Instead they pretty much just thought of whatever and got fooled in the end. The city needs to learn to be more aggressive and creative when it comes to competing for things.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but were you not the one who was just proven incorrect?
If you mean by showing me some festivals. Sure. Houston has crawfish festivals. There is one in New Jersey too, I guess they eat crawfish on Jersey shore as well. Once again you don't really know what you're talking about. It goes deeper than festivals.
But yes, for the sake of hijacking this thread, you have proven me wrong.

I'm baking cookies, you deserve one.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
If you mean by showing me some festivals. Sure. Houston has crawfish festivals. There is one in New Jersey too, I guess they eat crawfish on Jersey shore as well. Once again you don't really know what you're talking about. It goes deeper than festivals.
But yes, for the sake of hijacking this thread, you have proven me wrong.

I'm baking cookies, you deserve one.
No, thanks.

You first said this:

Quote:
People don't even eat crawfish here....
...then you said this:

Quote:
I haven't smelled a crawfish boil since I've been here.

...ah, yes, the old "I've never personally experienced it, therefore, it must not exist" argument.

...followed by:

Quote:
I know about the festival.
So how exactly is it that you came to "know" that no one in Houston eats crawfish, but somehow claimed to have knowledge of one of the largest crawfish boils in the south, which takes place in Houston. Those two statements obviously contradict each other. If anyone else has been paying attention to this discussion, it would've been clear that the individual who didn't know what they were talking about is you, not me.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
This should be a wake up call to Houston. They can't keep half-assing on everything they do. They should have submitted a plan that would have displayed the shuttle in the best way possible. Instead they pretty much just thought of whatever and got fooled in the end. The city needs to learn to be more aggressive and creative when it comes to competing for things.
Houston didn't need to put on a show to earn a shuttle that was rightfully theirs in the first place. That was my whole point, and you apparently missed it.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 PM

You have proven me wrong Nairobi. A festival is the be all-end all for a particular culture. All the Paddadeaux's and La(u)ndry's are what crawfish is all about. Haha
I really don't want to try to explain to you anymore.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
You have proven me wrong Nairobi. A festival is the be all-end all for a particular culture. All the Paddadeaux's and La(u)ndry's are what crawfish is all about. Haha
I really don't want to try to explain to you anymore.
The festival(s) that I and Blkgiraffe posted was simply about proving you wrong about saying that people in Houston don't eat them. That's all. Not once did I personally mention restaurants serving them.

As for people boiling crawfish in their own yards, I know I've experienced it, so you obviously just need to get around Houston more. I've already stated that it's likely not as big a deal in Texas as it is in Baton Rouge, but Houston does not need or want to be like BR, so that's neither here nor there.

I'm not even sure what your argument is anymore, but I can understand why you're desperate to save face.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Houston didn't need to put on a show to earn a shuttle that was rightfully theirs in the first place. That was my whole point, and you apparently missed it.
How did I miss you're apart?? I stated I agreed with you in the sense that Houston deserved a shuttle. I just went on to add why they didn't get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City