Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slendabrn38 View Post
I don't know why most people under 65 would choose South Fl over NYC. The only thing this town has on NYC is the weather and the sculpted bodies walking around on the beach. And even all of that is not enough to put up with the cons of having to live in this place 365 days a year. I'd rather deal with cold, smelly New York.
I agreed with that at 22 and I still agree with it a 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,652 times
saw this and had to respond lived in miami for all my life and been to different places im originaly from broward but i been all over my large city, and the mentality that alot of people who i meet from out of this city is 10x's nicer than what you get here in miami.you show me a 3 bedroom apartment on the beach i can get for 800-1200$ ill move as quick as possible theres no way you will find that price in miami beach dont believe all that online bull they lie alot around here and they will jack the price of your rent up. i suggest if your lookin for nice areas the beach,kendall,coral gables, further side of cocanut grove closer to the mall. places you want to stay away from Liberty city, brownsville,carol city,overtown,opalocka,pinecrest(if your black, its pretty racist out there yo),north western,alot of the miami gardens area,and lil haiti,

1. no such thing as southern hospitality in miami it is a city
2. cheaper prices the worser the neihborhood
3. learn spanish ( i havent learned it properly and im screwed ya cant leave my job)
4.crime finds you so play it safe, you out past 1 and not on the beach a high chance of getting mugged
5. been to new york and in my opinion new york is the same as miami only difference is, is that miami is more spread out.
6.not every one who wears locks are islander's
7.learn to work with sandles and flip flops- every one wears them down here especially croc's
8.if you wanna feel like your still living in new york when u move down here i do suggest the beach in dade or the aventura area in broward
9.new yorks not even on the crime rate list top 10 like miami and orlando and neither is L.a that cocaine cow boy era left a stain on miami and people carry guns with them all over you cant even tell who has one any more because of a law about gun to work or something.
10.the blood and the crip thing doesnt realy exist down here lol but the gang areas that are realy tough is zoe pound, and top6 Black/hatian gangs
11. dont get blinded by the sunshine

Old 11-12-2013, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,520 times
I retired from the US Army in Miami Florida and lived there from 2006-2012. I was advised that choosing Miami as my retirement place would be detrimental especially since I was raising children. I went against all the good advice and retired there, I could not find a job 2 years after retirement. IMHO Miami is the most shallow and fake city I have lived in. I could not associate my Brooklyn up bringing to their lifestyle. Sure it's a nice city, and the weather gets high grades, and we all know about the beaches, but after 6 years here I was yearning for the vibrant, diverse yet authentic Brooklyn lifestyle. I love the hot weather, but I also like to experience the change in seasons. The Holidays in south Florida sucks and nowhere near NYC standards. NYC is great for all ages too, Miami is beach, beach, beach, golf, golf, golf, but without a good paying job you are likely to go broke living that lifestyle. 35,000 a year will not do it. Great place to vacation, but that's about it.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,520 times
lml, in nYc We assume everyone is Carrying a weapon, that's right...even granny.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Default NYC vs. Miami

I lived in both cities. Here are the differences (NYC and Miami):
  • skyscrapers (NYC) - high rise condos (Miami)
  • good Chinese restaurants - good Cuban restaurants
  • cockroaches - palmetto bugs
  • 47th Street - the Seybold Building
  • Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Mexicans - Cubans, Haitians and Nicaraguans
  • snowstorms - hurricanes
  • Giants - Dolphins
  • The Metropolitan Museum of Art - The Miami Seaquarium
  • Morrisania - Opa Locka
  • Coney Island - Key Biscayne
  • Greenwich Village - Coconut Grove
  • Chasidic Jews - Retired Jews
  • Belmont Race Track - Hialeah Race Track
  • brick townhouse with stoop - stucco ranch house with driveway
  • Friends - The Golden Girls
Did I leave anything out?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
New York is so much a better city but I'll go with the M-I-A easily. New York's my second option for the country though.

Every friend or family I have that I've spoken to about it hates my decision to move out to South Florida next year, every one of them. Not a single person has told me that I should be excited and these are people, some of whom aren't even in this country. My friends routinely make fun of me, routinely when Miami sports are on, when Miami's bath salt or crime is on, when Florida politics comes up, when Miami (and FL in general) incomes come into the discussion, when people tell me they see more TaeKwonDo 3rd degree blackbelts in Miami then college degrees. I ignore it but I would be a liar to say that their perception of the place is based off some fact.

I get it, people don't respect Miami as a place where the entrepreneur spirit lives or where intellectualism is savvy or a brain magnet place or honestly a place for sufficient income. I agree, I suppose, in addition to it being next hardest thing to finding the Holy Grail just to find areas for computer programmers, literature employment, or government careers.

Every starting wage I've both seen and have been told by recruiters should be criminal for exploitation. In New York, Washington, and San Francisco I would be making at least $20,000 more. In Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, Seattle I'd be making a minimum of $15,000 more in the literature field or the programmer field.

What the hell though, it's a city that I actually like and can tolerate life in. I'll still take it. No where is perfect and every city has a host of things that can be put on the cons list for it, it's not just Miami. With that said, I'd still pick the place, even with it's blemishes exposed. It's better that way anyway.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 11-12-2013 at 11:18 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 11:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyvargas View Post
I retired from the US Army in Miami Florida and lived there from 2006-2012. I was advised that choosing Miami as my retirement place would be detrimental especially since I was raising children. I went against all the good advice and retired there, I could not find a job 2 years after retirement. IMHO Miami is the most shallow and fake city I have lived in. I could not associate my Brooklyn up bringing to their lifestyle. Sure it's a nice city, and the weather gets high grades, and we all know about the beaches, but after 6 years here I was yearning for the vibrant, diverse yet authentic Brooklyn lifestyle. I love the hot weather, but I also like to experience the change in seasons. The Holidays in south Florida sucks and nowhere near NYC standards. NYC is great for all ages too, Miami is beach, beach, beach, golf, golf, golf, but without a good paying job you are likely to go broke living that lifestyle. 35,000 a year will not do it. Great place to vacation, but that's about it.
If you wanted the Brooklyn life-style, you could've moved to Liberty City, or Miami's own Brownsville/Browsubs. Or Overtown. There's more than enough vibrant neighborhoods in Miami. Keep your cold weather. Who needs Christmas anyways? Life isn't a Home Alone movie.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
New York is so much a better city but I'll go with the M-I-A easily. New York's my second option for the country though.

Every friend or family I have that I've spoken to about it hates my decision to move out to South Florida next year, every one of them. Not a single person has told me that I should be excited and these are people, some of whom aren't even in this country. My friends routinely make fun of me, routinely when Miami sports are on, when Miami's bath salt or crime is on, when Florida politics comes up, when Miami (and FL in general) incomes come into the discussion, when people tell me they see more TaeKwonDo 3rd degree blackbelts in Miami then college degrees. I ignore it but I would be a liar to say that their perception of the place is based off some fact.

I get it, people don't respect Miami as a place where the entrepreneur spirit lives or where intellectualism is savvy or a brain magnet place or honestly a place for sufficient income. I agree, I suppose, in addition to it being next hardest thing to finding the Holy Grail just to find areas for computer programmers, literature employment, or government careers.

Every starting wage I've both seen and have been told by recruiters should be criminal for exploitation. In New York, Washington, and San Francisco I would be making at least $20,000 more. In Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, Seattle I'd be making a minimum of $15,000 more in the literature field or the programmer field.

What the hell though, it's a city that I actually like and can tolerate life in. I'll still take it. No where is perfect and every city has a host of things that can be put on the cons list for it, it's not just Miami. With that said, I'd still pick the place, even with it's blemishes exposed. It's better that way anyway.
Honestly, why move to Miami then, if you anticipate such a letdown?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Honestly, why move to Miami then, if you anticipate such a letdown?
Why move anywhere?

People either go to somewhere they like or somewhere they have to just to make it.

Clearly I'm not picking Miami to make it or become the next Bill Gates. I'm picking it because I like it.

By the way, it really makes me angry when people gloss over a post and then put words in other peoples' mouth. I never called it a letdown, people I know have. It's not the same thing and it makes me flustered when people pretend like it is.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 11-12-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Why move anywhere?

People either go to somewhere they like or somewhere they have to just to make it.

Clearly I'm not picking Miami to make it or become the next Bill Gates. I'm picking it because I like it.

By the way, it really makes me angry when people gloss over a post and then put words in other peoples' mouth. I never called it a letdown, people I know have. It's not the same thing and it makes me angry when people pretend like it is.

You said you'd make more in your field, in any other city, than you would in Miami. Why not move to the Silicon Valley, or stay in NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City