Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:29 PM

349 posts, read 573,064 times

Advertisements

I had a hard time finding urban, walkable neighborhoods with ordinary, affordable amenities in Miami, you know, your typical hardware store, dive-bar, cornerstore type area. Basically a middle-class esque urban area. Anybody have any areas I should check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:34 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You said you'd make more in your field, in any other city, than you would in Miami. Why not move to the Silicon Valley, or stay in NYC?
Yeah, but why try living somewhere you wont ever be happy or give a chance to? In my case, the Bay Area.

Love Miami, the city is there, the socioeconomics is all that's left to come.

I don't live in New York by the way and I really don't like the Bay Area that much.

We only have one life, don't waste the opportunities to be somewhere you like.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 11-12-2013 at 11:49 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 12:01 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
I had a hard time finding urban, walkable neighborhoods with ordinary, affordable amenities in Miami, you know, your typical hardware store, dive-bar, cornerstore type area. Basically a middle-class esque urban area. Anybody have any areas I should check out?
Little Havanah, Coconut Grove, Wynwood, Miami Shores.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM

43 posts, read 65,505 times
Finding anything walkable in Miami, let alone Florida is going to be tough. Miami has very high income inequality so middle class people tend to stay in the sub-burbs where walkability isn't a priority. Where walkability in South Florida is decent (South Beach, downtown Delray) you're basically going to be living near highly paid professionals or foreigners so it will be expensive.

Polo's suggestions above are pretty good. I'd add parts of South Beach can be affordable.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:17 PM

349 posts, read 573,064 times
Thanks for the recommendations.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:10 PM

10 posts, read 13,571 times
Regarding the OP and smog, the American Lung Association gives NYC an 'F' and Miami a 'B'...NYC and it's walking culture exposes itself to the ill effects of air pollution more than what a walker would in Miami.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nny80y View Post
Regarding the OP and smog, the American Lung Association gives NYC an 'F' and Miami a 'B'...NYC and it's walking culture exposes itself to the ill effects of air pollution more than what a walker would in Miami.
Makes me wonder why NYC doesn't push harder for electric vehicles or zero-emission vehicles in general.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:40 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,796 times
I can't answer all of your questions, as I obviously live on the West Coast and my time in Florida was spent primarily visiting family for about 6 months, but I'll try to answer what I can. One thing for sure is that you better like humidity because it's intense down there. I know New York can get humid in the summer, but it's not even in the same ball park as South Florida! Overall the Cost of Living is cheaper in Florida than New York, but I don't believe the wages pay as much.

Florida is largely a transplant state, generally speaking. Some people are nice, some are not, it's like everywhere else. If you're looking for "Southern Hospitality" you will only find that in the northern part of the state, South Florida is basically New York mixed with Latin America and if you're looking for a slower pace of life you won't find it there because Miami is a HUGE city! Not on the same scale as New York obviously, but Miami-Dade still has an massive metro area and it's very active.

My best advice is to take a visit to South Florida first and see what you think. The tropical scenery, beaches, sunny warm weather, and Latin vibe make South Florida very attractive, but like all things it's not for everyone. New York probably has a much better economy I'd imagine, but I'm sure South Florida offers a lot of work. Think about the things that matter to you in a place to live and go from there.

Me personally I'd pick Miami as I prefer sunny warm weather over cold weather, but to each his own.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2016, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 854 times
Talking Similarities in Miami and NYC

Honestly, the two cities are beyond similar. Miami's not as international as NYC, nor is it as large. However, as the main attraction is the weather, it is honestly fantastic in the winter time.

I've written a comparison on the two cities from an individual neighborhood perspective, it allows you to visualize the two cities side by side - [url]http://www.ashleydortch.com/miami-sixth-borough[/url] - Miami: New York South, The Sixth Borough | ASHLEY DORTCH[/url]

Old 08-17-2017, 11:32 PM

67 posts, read 177,702 times
I was raised in Brooklyn.
Florida is way better then newyork city.
Better weather, friendlier people, cost of living is cheaper depending on the city, and you don't have to deal
With smelly subways, over prixed rents, and the jobs aren't all that well paying in New York, just
Depends on what you so career rise.

Beaches, NYC has Coney island, or the Hudson ewwwwww.

Bottom line, in my opinion, Florida is 1,000+ times better then NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Married, 9 yrs as of Jan 16

I have lived in Plantation, Sunrise, Davie and Lauderhill. Lived in homes in Plantation and Lauderhill.

I have had friends who lived in Sailboat bend (area in fort lauderdale), Weston, Melrose Park, Lauderhill, Coral Springs, Parkland. So I have spent extensive amounts of time in all of the above.

So now why do I like Miami over Fort lauderdale? because I don't like suburbia. I don't like having to drive everywhere. I like a since of community and knowing my neighbors. I like when cities have events that are free for the citizens. I should add to that, GOOD events, not corny events you go that are basically oppurtunities for local businesses to sell their goods to you. I like to be able to take my family out to really good restuarants. I like a lot of diversity. I like mass transit. I like a city that has economic promise. I like a city that is on the come up politically.

For the areas I like in Miami, namely Morningside all the way down to coral gables, those places have what I am looking for. The parks in Broward suck. They may be good to locals or someone who never lived in a actual city but for someone who has, they are not that great. You should look at what Miami has planned for bicentennial park and Bayfront park. If I can find the plans I will post them. I am just hands down impressed with Miami. Now if it were up to me, I would raise my kid in Brooklyn but that looks impossible right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City