Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 03:05 PM

378 posts, read 1,284,322 times

Advertisements

I don't think Chicago has much that compare to that type of urban decay. Worth nothing though is the fact that Chicago also has some neighborhoods devoid of projects that are pretty bad. Some examples that come to mind are that neighborhood where 3 kids were gunned down with an assault rifle recently. Englewood is a very violent neighborhood from what I have heard. There are also some pretty bad south suburbs such as Harvey. The USPS declared one block in Harvey as the most dangerous in the nation and stopped delivering there for a week after a drive by was done on a house the mailman was delivering to.

Also, I believe that the demographics (white, black, hispanic) of the two cities are similar, although I could be wrong. If that is the case, then Chicago's murder rate being 3x that of NYC says to me that Chicago's bad neighborhoods are much worse. Those are just some thoughts, what do you guys think?

Old 04-04-2009, 03:15 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
I don't think Chicago has much that compare to that type of urban decay. Worth nothing though is the fact that Chicago also has some neighborhoods devoid of projects that are pretty bad. Some examples that come to mind are that neighborhood where 3 kids were gunned down with an assault rifle recently. Englewood is a very violent neighborhood from what I have heard. There are also some pretty bad south suburbs such as Harvey. The USPS declared one block in Harvey as the most dangerous in the nation and stopped delivering there for a week after a drive by was done on a house the mailman was delivering to.

Also, I believe that the demographics (white, black, hispanic) of the two cities are similar, although I could be wrong. If that is the case, then Chicago's murder rate being 3x that of NYC says to me that Chicago's bad neighborhoods are much worse. Those are just some thoughts, what do you guys think?
Yeah I lived in the area where that happened when I was a kid. That was around 87th street. I thoguht the violence died down but guess I was wrong.
As far as decay I don't think chicago, or any big city has THAT type of decay, except for maybe parts detroit.
But just because a place doesn't necessarily look bad desn't mean it's all "Peachy and Nice!"

Old 04-04-2009, 03:24 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,855,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Cut that ****. You is a New Yorker anyway.
Watts is wayyy more tough. Cpt aint that bad.
Its 2009. Not the 90's.
STOP DISRESPECTING COMPTON! Visit first, then cry me a river.

Aranbe Ave. Tree top piru! good people!
CK all day ? (oh no wait..)

why are you repping a city you prob never been to, then gang violence which has killed innocent people? your country has some of the best solcial systems in the world, so ****. and only some of americas ghettos can compete with 3rd world that ive lived in.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:58 PM

894 posts, read 2,370,215 times
Quote:

well the last census was 30% white 36% black 26% hispanic but im sure the 2010 census will show more hispanics
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Yeah I lived in the area where that happened when I was a kid. That was around 87th street. I thoguht the violence died down but guess I was wrong.
As far as decay I don't think chicago, or any big city has THAT type of decay, except for maybe parts detroit.
But just because a place doesn't necessarily look bad desn't mean it's all "Peachy and Nice!"
well due to the fact that less cops are being hired and the police rely on cameras neighborhoods such as south chicago are up for grabs, i read in a newspaper article how south chicago used to average over 100 arrests per month and now its down to 49. Those 3 kids that ot killed with the AK-47 the cops got lucky they got that guy, he was shooting in broad daylight under a police camera which wasnt working

Old 04-04-2009, 06:01 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,879,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
^^^Word
But has anyone ever notice that smaller cities/town outside of big cities are ussually worse of.
for example
Gary indiana - chicago
Newark NJ - NYC
Camden NJ - Philly
East ST. Louis IL - STL
Also:

Highland Park - Detroit
East Cleveland - Cleveland
Chester - Philly
Richmond - San Francisco/Oakland
Compton - Los Angeles
Harvey - Chicago

Old 04-04-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've had enough experience that I don't need to read a book about someone else's. I don't want to read something for pleasure if it reminds me of being at work in the south Bronx everyday. Once I eventually transfer, I'm never going back there again. It's hell in that neighborhood.

i live in the south bronx, i oved in chicago and im white and i dont think its hell...

Old 04-04-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Chicago's projects in their days were worse than anything in the country. I don't think you can argue against that. I've talked to people from other very bad areas, and they say Chicago was the roughest. I read somewhere about 26 murders in a weekend in Robert Taylor. Cabrini Green had 1 corner where 50 people were shot. Cops got sniped. School shut down until gang truces were reached. The gangster disciples made in excess of 100 mil a year dealing drugs.

Watch the show gangland. You won't see any other city in which there is actual footage of people shooting guns off. Look at the one about Latin Kings in NY vs. Chicago. What a joke, the Kings in New York are a bunch of kids looking for identity, in Chicago it is organized crime.
since they tore down someo the projects many of those people moved into other neighborhoods were diff gangs had established terriory or are movng into neighborhoods that were blue collar and ones that didnt have that much crime

Old 04-04-2009, 06:33 PM

567 posts, read 1,441,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
i live in the south bronx, i oved in chicago and im white and i dont think its hell...
hold on. are you saying your white and you moved from chicago to the bronx? or your white from the bronx and you moved to chicago? anyway, yea the south bronx was WAY worse back in the day. now days it ain't that bad. i guarantee that if you lived in the south bronx in the 70's or 80's you would have not survived.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:36 PM

heres the bronx (although ive noticed they show some parts of the other boroughs too) from 1970 to 2000 (from 7:00 onward they show the 2000's)

YouTube - Bronx New York City

Old 04-04-2009, 06:40 PM

damn. you gotta click the link below the vid cause it ain't showing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City