Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 01:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

because I'm not wrong about anything. Your first post in here brought up some fire that occurred in Atlanta 150 years ago.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:56 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael84 View Post
because i'm not wrong about anything. your first post in here brought up some fire that occurred in atlanta 150 years ago.
OK

His post was a relevant answer to something your mother posted.

"What other city survived something like that and came back even stronger?"

Old 06-14-2009, 02:06 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Based on your reasoning I am more apt to know the average age and upbringing of the posters on C-D than you.

Then again, someone who has been a member a month longer than me will know better than I would.
I'm not trying to start an argument.

It's just my observation since being on here. What I observed is that the average poster on city-data is around their mid 40s, lives in a average or nice area whether it be a suburb or an urban area (or rural whatever), and grew up in an average or nice area again whether it be a suburb or an urban area.

If you observed something different than I would like to hear what you think.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
now imagine hearing that or reading that all the time. about two weeks ago i was on another forum and the topic came up and someone asked me where im from. i says "nyc" and someone else says "man that b---- a-- city". would that not be offensive to you? or are you all just so mature than you show no anger?
Anyone that has really been to and knows about NYC knows that it isn't "weak".

I'm very familiar with NYC, have been there many times and lived there for months. I have family in many parts of the city and just outside it including the South Bronx, Brooklyn, Harlem and East Harlem among many others. My advice for you would be to ignore these people because they obviously have no idea what they're talking about and most haven't even been to NYC before. A lot of these idiots are just teenage internet trolls who think a weak city is any city that isn't in the top 30 most dangerous. Most of them do base it on crime stats or what they wish was true, which can both be very far from the truth.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:26 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I'm not trying to start an argument.

It's just my observation since being on here. What I observed is that the average poster on city-data is around their mid 40s, lives in a average or nice area whether it be a suburb or an urban area (or rural whatever), and grew up in an average or nice area again whether it be a suburb or an urban area.

If you observed something different than I would like to hear what you think.
I think that there is no way anyone could make a call on it one way or the other.
There are too many diverse subjects and different forums and the average age will be different in each.
Unless someone is spending significant time in each and every forum there is no way to come up with an answer.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:36 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I was only try to clarify what a ghetto neighborhood was and also the meaning of "tough". Tough does not necessarily involve street fighting. Tough is picking yourself up after a calamity, be that a 9/11, an earthquake, a hurricane, etc., etc., and surviving and going on with your life. It just so happens that right now in history 9/11, which happened in NYC, is probably the most catalismic event to occur in US history. I was just trying to give that poster some comfort with his pride in his City.

It seems the intent of my agrument to the other poster was hijacked.
Again, New Yahk does not OWN 9/11. It also happened in Washington, D.C. and rural PA.

And I would say that after a city is burned to the ground in a war, that to turn around and become the leading city of it's region is quite an accomplishment.

Moderator cut: Flaming/Trolling/Off Topic

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-14-2009 at 03:33 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 02:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I suggest you take a look at my past posts.

Moderator cut: Flaming/Trolling/Off Topic

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-14-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 02:47 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
go tell anyone on this forum that their city has no bad neighborhoods or that their cities neighborhoods cant compare to so and so and more often than not, they will react the same as me.

but you just call me out right? just because nyc overall is low in crime and cant compare to many cities in that respect, doesn't mean all its neighborhoods are low in crime and cant compare to other neighborhoods in high crime cities.
Wrong. I've gotten told the exact same thing over and over again by people from wherever, but primarily the East Coast and Chicago, that the entire West Coast is weak and you don't see us responding quite the same. We disagree and we argue, but it doesn't get to us this bad when someone says all that b/c their opinion doesn't matter. If some outsider tries to tell me my home is one way when I know better, I will correct them, and I understand your frustration. But I read all types of comments like that and only respond to a few of them b/c I'd have a heart attack if I let them all get to me. And at the end of the day it doesn't matter what some jerkoff on the internet thinks anyway.

And how am I "just calling you out?" I got someone earlier on this exact same thread making the exact same claim! I wasn't even trying to call you out, I was just trying to say that I think you're taking stuff the wrong way or too seriously. You made several posts in a row about this issue before I even spoke to you. I wasn't trying to put you on the defensive, I was just sayin you could chill.

And I agree that some NYC neighborhoods can compare or are really bad. A lot of NYers blow how bad they are out of proportion though. I don't think you were at all, but many do and that causes folks to say things like that other poster said. And most of the time NYers who do this exaggerating neglect to acknowledge/seem to not understand that other parts of the country are as bad or worse than NYC neighborhoods. I don't recall seeing you do this, but I'm just explaining the mentality.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
oh yea, jman. if you want to see how people call nyc weak or whatever, go to any youtube video that shows NYC's projects or gangs in NYC or just random people saying their hood in NYC is tough. i guarantee you, 1 out of every 5 comments left on that video will be from someone in either chicago or LA claiming "these n----- fake southside chicago/south central LA get it poppin (using nyc slang, i might add). come see me...f---- nyc." it never fails. its mostly on up to date videos (filmed after 2005). this is why i react and feel obligated to prove people otherwise. it does eventually get to you when people constantly call your city fake or something. i love my city and disrespecting where im from and the environment that made me who i am is, IMO, disrespecting me too. especially when people say everyone in nyc is fake instead of just calling the people in the video fake.
Haha okay, I feel you here. I've read that youtube crap and that truly has some of the most ignorant people in the world commenting on it. There is way too much disrespect in those retarded comments. But I haven't read anyone on HERE doing it like that so you're responding on the wrong site. No one here seriously called NYC "weak." And Nyers go on all the CA pages and do the exact same thing.

I know it gets to be a sore spot for you guys b/c a lot of those pages have NY bloods/crips and they don't really get respect from other areas and take a lot of heat, so I get where you're coming from. But youtube trolls opinions don't matter anyway so F-em! It does get to be really offensive and annoying though. I've been in the same boat and read a ton of anti-CA comments on there. I don't even bother reading that crap anymore.

You should check out this link. If you've read a lot of those comments you'll prolly find this funny:

YouTube - We Didn't Start the Flame War

Old 06-14-2009, 02:58 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Some of the worst neighborhoods i've ever seen have been in North Kansas City and East St. Louis. (Easily the worst neighborhoods ive seen)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City