Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 AM

674 posts, read 1,807,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac14 View Post
Just curious what would you say is the worst nabe in NYC? Ive being reading and a lot of people have different opinions on it just wondering what you would say.
Probably Brownsville its just a very dangerous, dirty, and gritty place. I would say its more dangerous than that section of Harlem.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:54 AM

13 posts, read 32,869 times
I don't judge a city until i've visited or lived there myself. I'm from outside Boston, but from the places I've been to, South Chicago is not too inviting...there are many vacant buildings, trash, graffiti, homeless. I lived in Hartford, CT for about a year and the north end of the city is NASTY. Although a relativly small city area wise, there is alot of crime and the homicide rates are increasing. My bf was an emt in the city and he could do as many as 16 stabbing/shootings a night on a high nigh in the summer. Finally, Prince Georges County in Maryland right outside of DC is a bit rough. I am not intimidated easily, but driving through parts of PG even during the day was enough for me!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:27 AM

330 posts, read 678,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston344 View Post
I lived in Hartford, CT for about a year and the north end of the city is NASTY. Although a relativly small city area wise, there is alot of crime and the homicide rates are increasing. My bf was an emt in the city and he could do as many as 16 stabbing/shootings a night on a high nigh in the summer.
Damn! That's insane. I haven't been to Hartford myself, but I've heard it's pretty bad form those I know who've been there. One of my friends went to school in New Haven (I think), and he was telling me about Hartford for example.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:50 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,935,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston344 View Post
My bf was an emt in the city and he could do as many as 16 stabbing/shootings a night on a high nigh in the summer.

Hartford only had around 32 murders in 2008.
16 violent, open wound incidents that required the ambulance in one night seems like quite a stretch.

I could be wrong............. But I doubt it.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times View Post
Damn! That's insane. I haven't been to Hartford myself, but I've heard it's pretty bad form those I know who've been there. One of my friends went to school in New Haven (I think), and he was telling me about Hartford for example.
New Haven is no picnic either. If it weren't for Yale the place might be a lost cause by now. Bridgeport is white-knuckling it too. I was there in the mid-1990s and it was nasty. I've heard its fortunes have somewhat improved since then. But the "major" cities of Connecticut are pretty much basketcases. It's not something you expect to see in otherwise picturesque Connecticut if you're not already aware of it.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Why does everybody go based off of what a neighborhood looks like? That means nonthing, I'm talking about the actual numbers. Brownsville/East NY are 2 of the worst neighborhoods in the U.S HANDS DOWN. Detroit, Compton, Camden, Newark (really The whole Essex County), parts of Chicago, New Orleans, Atlanta etc all are/have bad neighborhoods but I'm not going to sugar coat ANYTHING. Here are some facts/stats about Brownsville & East NY: (look them up yourself)

Brownsville
Population is about 85,000. It's 86% Black, 14% Latino, 4% White. Over half of the population is below the poverty line. Avergae Income is $20,839 (Lower than Detroit, New Orleans or East St. Louis). It has the highest concentration of Public Housing Projects in the U.S. Over half of the males have been incarcerated at some point in their lives. A great majority of inmates in New York jails are from Brownsville. Brownsville has New York City's highest crime rate. Brownsville has the highest rate of infant inmortality in New York City. Brownsville until 2004 was the only district in the city without a highschool. I mean, I'm not even going to go into East NY. It's pretty much the same. By the way, it's very hard to compare New York City to Detroit or New Orleans. You basically can't.

The whole Essex County? Not even close... Essex county includes many affluent areas such Essex Fells, Livingston, West Orange, etc.. where there are multi-million dollar homes and are NOTHING like Newark. And not even all areas of Newark are bad. Im a white female and lived in Newark and never had a single problem. There were no shootings in my area, no visible drug-dealing, no hoodlums hanging out in the street. It all depends on what section you go to. There is even a very nice section of Newark where there are nice older single family homes.. very suburban.

Last edited by breakingfree27; 07-07-2009 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-07-2009, 08:19 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBoy1 View Post
i think its brownsville
Detroit
Memphis

Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 PM

258 posts, read 322,272 times
Worst I have seen
East New York-Brooklyn, NY
North Philly
West Orlando-Parramore through Pine Hills
East St. Louis
Liberty City-Miami

Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 AM

296 posts, read 641,138 times
overtown, Miami, Riveria Beach, FL

Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 AM

674 posts, read 1,807,468 times
In No order

Brownsville
Liberty City
North Philadelphia
Alot of Detroit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City