Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 11:06 AM

391 posts, read 1,249,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
It ends up happening when NYers consistently beat us over the head with NYC crime stats that they are for whatever reason so proud of and claim they're the worst, looking for reassurance from the rest of us that their crime is awful. Then people respond with the knowledge that crime rates in other parts of the country are much worse. Its not a matter of pride for (most of ) those of us outside NYC. It just so happens that crime elsewhere often exceeds it nowadays.
I think its the other way around. NYC was a horrible city for a very long time, hence it built up a reputation for crime. In fact, many people all over the world continue to think its dangerous and always ask if its safe before traveling. Even when I lived in Los Angeles people would always ask "isnt it dangerous?"

Most NYers are proud of the decline in their city's crime. But certain people from other parts of the country like to brag about how hard their city is and they always seem to single out NY and claim it as being "soft" like its a bad thing. Perhaps they are annoyed by the crime stereotype of NY, or they secretly wish their city had the same infamy. That is why sometimes NYers respond the way they do, to prove that although statistically as a whole, NYC is safe, some parts remain nothing nice.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:51 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
That article is more nonsense. Orlando didn't even have over 40 murders in 2006... heck Youngstown, Gary, Flint, Compton, etc I'm sure all had more and they don't have populations over 100,000 people.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:54 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
I think its the other way around. NYC was a horrible city for a very long time, hence it built up a reputation for crime. In fact, many people all over the world continue to think its dangerous and always ask if its safe before traveling. Even when I lived in Los Angeles people would always ask "isnt it dangerous?"

Most NYers are proud of the decline in their city's crime. But certain people from other parts of the country like to brag about how hard their city is and they always seem to single out NY and claim it as being "soft" like its a bad thing. Perhaps they are annoyed by the crime stereotype of NY, or they secretly wish their city had the same infamy. That is why sometimes NYers respond the way they do, to prove that although statistically as a whole, NYC is safe, some parts remain nothing nice.
I think NYCers are the ones hyping up the crime in NYC. Put it in this perspective -- if 1/100 people still talk about how 'hard' NYC is.. that's still 100,000 people giving you guys a bad reputation

Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Man, now THAT sounds pretty bad!
Yea, last year there were 36 shootings in a single weekend. That is not 36 shootouts reported, thats 36 people being shot.

If you scroll down the link it you can see a map of the shootings. It was a wild summer and the city was leading the country in homocides all the way up into December before NYC edged it out. NYC is 3x the size of Chicago and LA has over a million more people.

Luckily this summer hasn't been quite as bad.

5 Killed In South Side Home - cbs2chicago.com

Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 PM

378 posts, read 1,288,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Yea, last year there were 36 shootings in a single weekend. That is not 36 shootouts reported, thats 36 people being shot.

If you scroll down the link it you can see a map of the shootings. It was a wild summer and the city was leading the country in homocides all the way up into December before NYC edged it out. NYC is 3x the size of Chicago and LA has over a million more people.

Luckily this summer hasn't been quite as bad.

5 Killed In South Side Home - cbs2chicago.com
I worked with someone from North Dakota in Chicago last year, including summer, and he was pretty astounded by these stories. Granted, Chicago has its rep, but living here gave him a different perspective.

This summer has been pretty bad I think. Last weekend there were 63 shootings with 11 murders. And the one story I remember is the 3 teenagers being gunned down by gang members with assault rifles. I think it was south shore.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:59 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
What a blanket statement, I don't know anyone from NY who's proud of any crime and claiming they're the worst. And I for one actually thought NYC was fairly safe depending where you go like any major city.

I happen to think Newark, NJ is ONE of the worst. The reality show "DEA" is even shooting their current season there.
You're right, it was a blanket statement and that was unfair. Normally I make the effort to differentiate between those who do what I said and the rest who don't, so my apologies for doing that. I hate when its done to me, so I shouldn't be doing it to you.

But check out a few of these posters from NY who always bring that crap up, and you'll see where I was coming from. I was responding to how the question was asked and meant to reference a specific group of people. So again, my bad if it seemed I was talking about everyone from there.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41
Compare that to Englewood on the southside. In 91 they had 81 murders in 4 months with a population of 40k. Thats 202/100k in 4 months. Even if you assume that there were only 80 more murders throughout the rest of the year, thats a rate of over 400 per 100k. This was not the only place in Chicago like that.
It's crazy how much worse crime was back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. I wish i could find old stats like that for SF neighborhoods (or any stats for SF neighborhoods, for that matter).

Going by the info in this article: The kill zone

I know that the Double Rock public housing projects in SF's Hunter's Point had at least 6 murders in 1994, all six victims killed on the exact same street corner. There were probably at least a couple other murders in those projects that year too, but the article only mentions the six in the same spot. Double Rock's population is maybe 1-2,000, so in 1994 it had a murder rate of at least 300-600/100,000 residents, but possibly quite a bit higher than that. Compare that to now, when the Double Rock projects have had just 3 murders in the past two years combined.

A quote from that article, about what the police faced in Double Rock:

Quote:
The corner is ground zero.

For police Sgts. Roth and David Oberhoffer of Potrero Station, it is the danger point.

Roth has been the target of sniper fire on her rounds; Oberhoffer has been shot at four times.

"It does seem like warfare sometimes," said Oberhoffer, a Vietnam War veteran who ran helicopter medical missions.
I can also gather from that article that in 1994, Hunters Point, with a population of around 30,000, must have had a murder rate in the range of 100-200/100,00 residents. 2/3 of Hunters Point had 1/3 of the city's murders, and there were 99 murders committed in SF in 1994...so 30+ happened in HP. In 1993 130 people were killed in SF, so I'm sure HP's murder rate was even higher then.

Chicago was on a whole other level though it seems. SF may have been able to match that kind of murder rate, but only in comparatively small neighborhoods or areas of neighborhoods...there's nothing on the same scale as Chicago (of course SF is way smaller). For example SF's violent crime rate in 1993 was 1,846, which is already pretty high. Chicago's however was 2,771.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I haven't been up that way in a while so i can't speak about how it is now but of the 4 addresses aren't 3 within a block of the precinct house and the 4th is Our Lady of Mercy Church. I know the street the church is on has always been ok since it is right off Fordham and stays pretty busy.
Actually the first 2 addresses were right around the corner on either side of the precinct house and the other 2 I ventured farther out to see where the neighborhood might possibly change, which it didn't really. According to the web page, the 46th Precinct house is on Ryer between 180th and 181st.

And either way, visually online the neighborhood doesn't look like anything too scary, which is what it was being sold as. So in the end, that's a good thing.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:07 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Quote:
You're right, it was a blanket statement and that was unfair. Normally I make the effort to differentiate between those who do what I said and the rest who don't, so my apologies for doing that. I hate when its done to me, so I shouldn't be doing it to you.

But check out a few of these posters from NY who always bring that crap up, and you'll see where I was coming from. I was responding to how the question was asked and meant to reference a specific group of people. So again, my bad if it seemed I was talking about everyone from there.
Yeah there's always a bunch of bad "apples"

NY was pretty bad when Dinkins was mayor. When Mayor Guiliani came in way before 9/11, he really cleaned the city up a lot better than what it used to be. Bloomberg has just been riding Guiliani's work and the continual improvement has sorta flatlined. Anyways even in its worst days I don't believe NYC was ever one of the most dangerous cities. Plenty of other places with more murders happening per 100 people if you ask me.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post

Well if you're talking about what idiots post on Youtube, then I'm inclined to agree with you. People are always prodding people and bashing cities on Youtube clip comment areas, and I've seen plenty of it sent NY's way. At the same time, I've seen plenty of clips of places outside of NY where NYers jump on and begin the whole thing, so it goes both ways. But I do agree that NYC historically has that rep.

I would like to think that most NYers are proud of their decline in crime, as they should be. But there's a select few here on CD that are particularly vocal about how bad they think NYC hoods are and they participate in fear-mongering. Browse some of these threads and you'll see exactly what I mean. If I saw people from other areas doing the same thing, it would annoy me just the same. But NYC seems to have the highest representation from folks like this on the threads that I read on here.

You sound like you're being rational here, so I have no reason to think you're BSing. So I'll believe you when you say that you see what you see. But I've seen much the opposite on here, and I've dealt with it in person in the past as well. And its obnoxious, so I sympathize if you find it annoying coming from people from other parts of the country. But believe me, the NY dudes guilty of if on this thread are hardly just retaliating. They thrive off pushing this BS. Seriously, browse some relevant city vs. city or NYC threads and you'll see these same exact dudes.

And I'm assuming the post that provoked your original comment was from that Chicago psoter? If so, his post only came in response to one of the NY posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City