Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
The Northeast is where America became America. Yes it is the most important region politically, economically, and historically.
What does it have to do with where it began? Delaware was the first state and is also one of the least important in any modern context.

I would say that the Northeast holds the most power because it holds the political capital (Washington D.C.) and the financial capital (New York City), but it's only so long until folks living thousands of miles away in Texas, California, and other states get fed up with being ruled by a tyrannical and corrupt federal district.

When the rest of the nation is ready to do its own thing, the Northeast will crumble and fall as it should.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:32 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
What does it have to do with where it began? Delaware was the first state and is also one of the least important in any modern context.

I would say that the Northeast holds the most power because it holds the political capital (Washington D.C.) and the financial capital (New York City), but it's only so long until folks living thousands of miles away in Texas, California, and other states get fed up with being ruled by a tyrannical and corrupt federal district.

When the rest of the nation is ready to do its own thing, the Northeast will crumble and fall as it should.
What are you talking about? Nothing like that is going to happen. That is ridiculous. I lived through a crumbling and oppressive government, and America is definitely not on that track. It is amazing how much you take what this country has given you for granted. If you do not like it, why are you still here? Move to my old country and see how long you last.

Also, Delaware may have been the first state, but where did the Revolution, Declaration of Independence, etc come into play? Where did the 4th of July and Thanksgiving begin?

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 02-14-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:

I hope you're not just saying that because a Democrat is currently in office. And Texas will never succeed. Just a bunch of media mumbo jumbo. But I like your comment to a certain degree.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
What are you talking about? Nothing like that is going to happen. That is ridiculous. I lived through a crumbling and oppressive government, and America is definitely not on that track. It is amazing how much you take what this country has given you for granted. If you do not like it, why are you still here? Move to my old country and see how long you last.

Also, Delaware may have been the first state, but where did the Revolution, Declaration of Independence, etc come into play? Where did the 4th of July and Thanksgiving begin?
I don't care if you lived through the reign of Genghis Khan; you have no idea what is going to change in this country in the next couple of decades. For that matter, neither do I. Whether or not it's within the scope of what the general American populace wants to comprehend, world food and water shortages, overpopulation, the rising price of oil, and the decline of the United States as a global superpower (and simultaneous rise of China and India) will lead to severe and lasting consequences within the U.S. itself.

As for leaving America, I love most areas of it and would take even the worst areas over most places in Eastern Europe, which will take half a century to rebound. I dislike the feds. Only the ignorant equate the feds with America as a country. Doing so is quite unpatriotic in itself.

As for your last comment, I don't need a history lesson, as I know it well. I've lived in NJ, the third state, almost all my life, and have seen many remnants of the colonial era in Western NJ, Pennsylvania, eastern Massachusetts, etc. The fact remains that the Northeast is becoming less and less popular and the rest of the states would do fine on their own without NYC or D.C.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I hope you're not just saying that because a Democrat is currently in office. And Texas will never succeed. Just a bunch of media mumbo jumbo. But I like your comment to a certain degree.
No, I generally vote Republican as a lesser of two evils, but both major parties are garbage and and exist only to serve financial interests. Obama's garbage, and the Bush administration was laughably impotent as well.

I'm saying that because any government that puts the interests of large corporations before the average citizen, and looks the other way while illegals flood into the country to serve as little more than slave labor for the tycoons is a corrupt government. Any government that levies an income tax on its citizens explicitly against the original designs of the nation's founders is a corrupt government.

And any government which denies a state its sovereign and eternal right to leave a union that has become tyrannical, is a corrupt government.

Texas may or may not secede in the future. The secession movement could start in the South, the Pacific Northwest, or even New England (there are active movements in Vermont and New Hampshire as we speak). Any state that chooses freedom though, I shall support her, whether it's Texas or Alaska.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,666 times
Quote:
I don't care if you lived through the reign of Genghis Khan; you have no idea what is going to change in this country in the next couple of decades. For that matter, neither do I. Whether or not it's within the scope of what the general American populace wants to comprehend, world food and water shortages, overpopulation, the rising price of oil, and the decline of the United States as a global superpower (and simultaneous rise of China and India) will lead to severe and lasting consequences within the U.S. itself.

As for leaving America, I love most areas of it and would take even the worst areas over most places in Eastern Europe, which will take half a century to rebound. I dislike the feds. Only the ignorant equate the feds with America as a country. Doing so is quite unpatriotic in itself.

As for your last comment, I don't need a history lesson, as I know it well. I've lived in NJ, the third state, almost all my life, and have seen many remnants of the colonial era in Western NJ, Pennsylvania, eastern Massachusetts, etc. The fact remains that the Northeast is becoming less and less popular and the rest of the states would do fine on their own without NYC or D.C.
Oh my Lord. There is NOTHING that is going to happen. You think California and Texas are going to rebel or something, what are you talking about? What is that? You have never, in your life, seen a revolution, rebellion, anything like that. I have that experience. That is ridiculous to think anything like that will happen.

You are paranoid. China will not do anything. We are their #1 customer. Oil? Obviously has not affected me, or I would not have a V10 Mercedes... and my neighbor would not have a Suburban... and other Americans are still buying V8s and Hemis and Tahoes and Suburbans and Cadillacs and pickup trucks. Food and water? Grocery stores seem to be fine when I go there.

Mr. Paranoia, there is no way a state will secede, they can not. Texas v. White.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 02-14-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,289 times
Great post RussianIvanov,

You are providing him with first hand experience and he/she is lobing assinine theories. He must have watched the "Mosquito Coast" with Harrison Ford.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,413 times
Quote:
Eek, you have a tendency to overhype the Northeast and say anything to give it a boost. That's fine, but I just wanted to acknowledge that.
its not saying anything. and no i don't overhype the NE.

you and a few others bash the NE in damn near every post you make. myself and a few others correct these types of posts.

let you tell it and the NE is a mass of skyscrapers, crime ridden, decaying streets, rude ppl, and a natureless area. no trees, no parks, no rivers, no suburbs, no rural areas, no sunlight, etc.

all i'm saying is that the ppl of vermont, connecticut, new hampshire, upstate ny, new jersey, etc. would find fault in that argument. hell, you can find hawks (among other wildlife) in nyc, let alone nys.

you are 100% negative about the NE, as are other ppl, and thats fine but if you expect those of us in the NE to agree with your assessment of the NE then you have another thing coming.

call it boosting the region that i was born and raised in but i'm just being honest about the region when i say that we have a ton of history here, we have a lot of nature, we have a lot of natural beauty, etc.

are you..?

Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,867,687 times
Quote:

lol china super power? over 80% of their population doesnt even have power, they cant even access basic internet sites such as Google.

nothingwill happen to the U.S

and russinainov, my family is from east Germany, and they told me they didnt have T.Vs, or even bannanas and bread.

and russian gangsters are 100 times worse than any American gangster.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:47 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:
No, I generally vote Republican as a lesser of two evils, but both major parties are garbage and and exist only to serve financial interests. Obama's garbage, and the Bush administration was laughably impotent as well.

I'm saying that because any government that puts the interests of large corporations before the average citizen, and looks the other way while illegals flood into the country to serve as little more than slave labor for the tycoons is a corrupt government. Any government that levies an income tax on its citizens explicitly against the original designs of the nation's founders is a corrupt government.

And any government which denies a state its sovereign and eternal right to leave a union that has become tyrannical, is a corrupt government.

Texas may or may not secede in the future. The secession movement could start in the South, the Pacific Northwest, or even New England (there are active movements in Vermont and New Hampshire as we speak). Any state that chooses freedom though, I shall support her, whether it's Texas or Alaska.
I hear alot of Republicans say that. Why just not vote? And I don't think any state is gonna get enough backing to secede. America is not even CLOSE to the point that a state would NEED(keyword) or want to secede. Alot of the secession talk, was from the heat of the moment ANGRY Republicans who were pissed, and horrified at the election results. It's no different then when ALOT of Democrats said they wanted to flee for Canada during the Bush Administration, or how many Democrats are planing to flee to Canada if Palin runs and wins in 2012. Bottom line is, the US is not in a situation where secession would be necesarry. You I and everyone else are still FREE. This isn't communist China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.