Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:32 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times

Advertisements

M-28 in Michigan's upper peninsula, between Seney and Shingleton. Known as the "Seney Stretch." Probably not as desolate as some, but definitely one of the most boring. Long, straight, and nothing but swamp and scraggly pine trees for miles on end. From Wikipedia, "The highway is often cited as the "state's most boring route" according to the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC).

Last edited by michigan83; 01-29-2009 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:15 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
How did you leave off US50 in Nevada?
These are just the ones I've been on. I really can't comment on US 50, since I've never driven through that section of Nevada before. But I hear it's nicknamed "The Loneliest Road In America".

Old 01-29-2009, 10:18 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
East of the Missisisppi, I'll throw in votes for I-57 through central Illinois, parts of the Western Kentucky and Purchase Parkways in Kentucky, and US 19 between the I-10 interchange and about Chiefland in Florida.

I can remember driving the WK through the hills late at night when we seemed to be the only car on the road, and the only radio station we could get was broadcasting a tent revival service "Are you listening? Are you listening Brother Herbert? It's the midnight call to death and salvation!" It got rather creepy after a while.

US 19 was Something at one time before the Interstate pulled drivers further east- lots of abandoned and decaying shells of 50s mom and pop motor inns along the way.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:43 AM

44 posts, read 144,379 times
Since we are discussing major roads, I thought I'd add I-70 from its beginning at I-15 through Grand Junction, CO. For an interstate, it is astonishingly remote for hundreds of miles.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
These are just the ones I've been on. I really can't comment on US 50, since I've never driven through that section of Nevada before. But I hear it's nicknamed "The Loneliest Road In America".
Thank you, Mike! I respect the fact that you will withhold comment on places you have never been, rather than perpetuate stereotypes as many c-d posters do.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:39 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
East of the Missisisppi, I'll throw in votes for I-57 through central Illinois, parts of the Western Kentucky and Purchase Parkways in Kentucky, and US 19 between the I-10 interchange and about Chiefland in Florida.

I can remember driving the WK through the hills late at night when we seemed to be the only car on the road, and the only radio station we could get was broadcasting a tent revival service "Are you listening? Are you listening Brother Herbert? It's the midnight call to death and salvation!" It got rather creepy after a while.

US 19 was Something at one time before the Interstate pulled drivers further east- lots of abandoned and decaying shells of 50s mom and pop motor inns along the way.
Your post reminded me of my drive on US 53 from Virginia, MN to International Falls that I had posted about earlier. It was late December, and the sun started setting like a rock at about 3:45 in the afternoon, as it does in that part of the country when the equinox is close. The temperature hovered near zero. Seemed like I was the only one on that road. Tried to get radio reception, but all I got was a faint signal from a Canadian station playing Christmas Carols in French! A ride I'll never forget!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:45 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
The last time I drove from Atlanta to Savannah, I-16 was pretty desolate.
There were only one or two exits that even had so much as a gas station...it was 167 miles of trees and this stuff:

Flickr: Search (http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=I-16+cotton&m=text - broken link)

Old 01-29-2009, 12:58 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Thank you, Mike! I respect the fact that you will withhold comment on places you have never been, rather than perpetuate stereotypes as many c-d posters do.
You too, Ben. The feeling is mutual. As Jimmy Buffett once said: "Don't try to describe a Kiss concert if you've never seen it".

Old 01-29-2009, 01:03 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
I'm surprised noone mentioned US 13 in Maryland/Virginia. That's one of the most desolate highways I've ever been on.
^^Particularly south of Cape Charles leading down to and including the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

Also for me, a 10 mile stretch of U.S. Highway 301 roughly between Bowling Green and Port Royal, Va (Going through Fort A.P. Hill). For a major road, it can seem really isolated when there's not much traffic. Trees on both sides of the road obscure the sunlight even in the summer.
http://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/virginia200/us-301_sb_after_us-017.jpg (broken link)
Needless to say, it can get really dark at night.

http://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/virginia200/us-301_sb_fort_hill_01.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-29-2009, 01:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Tried to get radio reception, but all I got was a faint signal from a Canadian station playing Christmas Carols in French! A ride I'll never forget!
You know you've made it to beyond BFE when the only radio stations you can pick up are one to three of the following:

A) Country AND Western
B) Jesus
C) The bazillion watt Spanish language (or in this case Quebecois) station that, as far as you can figure, has a transmission tower at least 400 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City