Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Not sure how I am being a homer, as I've never lived in Chicago. I have lived in Houston for 26 years, however, so know what 80+ degree weather in the evening is like. Never liked it - never will. That's why I moved to a place where such weather is much less common.

Believe it or not, not everyone has the same preferences as you. If this is what you prefer, however - good on you.
80 degrees in Houston feels different than 80 in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Thank you for that?

Perhaps you were not aware that 90+ in Phoenix is at least as common as 80+ in Houston. The two cities are probably six/half-a-dozen in the weather department.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Phoenix average lows:

June: 78
July: 83
August: 83
September: 77

With no sun (its night after all). Absolutely dreadful, huh?

Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I've been to Phoenix four times in the winter. If you can't accept that some people don't share your preferences - too bad. I've stated which alternative I prefer so have nothing left to say. Maybe someone else will engage with you if you (or others?) persist in your belief that there is only one correct answer to this thread.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:38 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Well, that is subjective to where you are in Phoenix. Many of the older neighborhoods have quite a few trees.
I chose a random more suburban part of Phoenix. There are not many areas that have a lot of shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Phoenix Summers (sounds like an adult star, lol) by a mile, for one HUGE reason that hasn't been touched on all that much--the nights. Even if you call the days a wash (I wouldn't; a Phoenix summer day is no picnic but at least I don't have to dress like I'm about to invade Hoth when I leave the house), summer nights in Phoenix are much easier to deal with than Chicago's Winter nights. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise with a straight face.
It is a whole lot easier to deal with cold than heat.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Phoenix average lows:

That sounds wonderful if you can do all your life's business at 4am and spend the rest of your time sleeping with the AC full blast.

I lived there 12 years. I know all too well.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Phoenix average lows:

Not to mention that 83 for a low is completely ridiculous.

Besides, you live in freaking Los Angeles! The summers there are cooler than at least 50% of the country. Not really practicing what you preach, huh?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
That sounds wonderful if you can do all your life's business at 4am and spend the rest of your time sleeping with the AC full blast.

I lived there 12 years. I know all too well.
The point is, you actually get a respite from the intense heat in Phoenix. That is not the case for Chicago winters.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Not to mention that 83 for a low is completely ridiculous.

Besides, you live in freaking Los Angeles! The summers there are cooler than at least 50% of the country. Not really practicing what you preach, huh?
No, no, no, 14 degrees for a low is ridiculous (Chicago's projected overnight low this Thursday). With a winds that will make feel much colder than that.

You guys are really arguing that lows in the 80s and 90s are worse than freezing temperatures? Seriously?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
The point is, you actually get a respite from the intense heat in Phoenix. That is not the case for Chicago winters.
First of all, I wouldn't get fixated on that. Yes, heat is different from cold. The brief overnight low is "closer" to comfort than the daytime high in a cold winter, yes, and a daytime high of 100 (in May!) is "closer" to 70 than 20 is, etc. etc. but the fact remains that heat gets critical far more quickly: you can always throw on another layer or pick up the pace a bit, but you can only take off so much, and you can only slow down so much.

Second, 83 is not much of a "respite", especially when it only lasts for an hour or two, at a time when it's difficult to even be awake. I've actually had that experience of it being about 83 in the wee hours and saying "ooh, I think I'll sit outside", quickly followed by "meh, still too warm; back inside I go".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City