Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 08:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I think the Chicago winter pitted against a Phoenix summer would be tough to pass a judgment on. Living in a city that sees both cold, snowy winters and hot and humid summers, I would say it's a tie. Phoenix may be dry heat, but 115 degrees fahrenheit is above the maximum it ever reaches in St. Louis. Bottomline, I think both have their downsides.
Phoenix doesn't see 115 some years, the average maximum high for the year is usually 113-114
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 08:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azms2007 View Post
I live in Phoenix area I would take the cold any day of the week. It sucks when you have to do everything early in the morning or late at night cause it like 95 at 9am in July. I love to hike and it sucks that I have to wake up at 4am to go just so I won't get to hot. I grew up in cold!! I miss it!!! You can always put more on but on can't take that much off before you are naked. If you don't have great A/C in your car during to summer good luck. Our summers start in April and end near Halloween. You really can't do that much during the summers out here its to HOT and you will need lots of sunblock I know it all to well since I have skin cancer. My boyfriend wants out of Phoenix he is from Gurnee, IL he said he would rather take the cold than the heat. If you can cook an egg on the ground at 3pm in July than something is not right. I have lived here way too long!!
Depends how you define summer, to me, it's summer in Phoenix when the nights stay above 70°, and normal low is 70° or higher from May 14th-Oct 5th

Old 03-29-2016, 09:42 PM

73 posts, read 90,393 times
Chicago winter sounds better than a Phoenix summer if you ask me.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:28 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Phoenix summer hands down.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:36 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Phoenix summer and it's not even close.

Phoenix summer you can at least be in a bathing suit by the salt river or lake saguaro enjoying cold refreshments. I used to sneak into all of the Hotel resort pools during the summer because theirs were usually kept cooler than our small home pool. You can go outside at night and swim to escape the dryness of Phoenix summers when it's at least a little cooler and the sun isn't shining down on you. My sister used to live in Chicago and said that it literally got so cold that it hurt to even walk when walking into work with the wind blasting.

A chicago winter is a lifestyle. Shoveling snow, ice storms, and freezing cold temps. There is a good chunk of people who depend on public transportation in Chicago so when it's cold in the winter there you are constantly subjected to it. Most every in Phoenix drives in cars with AC blasting and windows rolled up in the summer thus escaping the heat when going to and from places.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:16 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Phoenix winter sounds better by far. Knowing how much I hate the cold here in Colorado, I don't even want to think about winters in Chicago. On the other hand, I like heat. Not quite as hot as Phoenix, and I prefer humid heat rather than dry heat, but I'd much prefer that over freezing cold weather.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:39 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Phoenix summer > Chicago winter. Freezing temps and bone chilling winds hurt no matter how many layers you have on.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,427 times
I don't like that they get all that snow, but Chi winter? It's shorter than the Phoenix summer.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:29 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Chicago winter.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:03 AM

8,631 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Growing up in the Chicago area, I always enjoyed the time between Halloween and New Years (primarily because I enjoyed looking forward to the holidays). However, after that, it became quite a depressing three or so months following. So, it wasn't just the snow, ice, and cold. It's kind of similar to the build up to a Phoenix summer. The weather is absolutely wonderful, but it is eventually followed by some hot temperatures and there are times when I cannot wait for the Phoenix summer to end. If I had to choose though, I'd pick Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City