Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:56 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,431,504 times

Advertisements

People don't take vacations to Minneapolis, Chicago, or Buffalo in the winter. In fact, the only reason people vacation somewhere cold is for a ski trip. But there are lines at amusement parks (Disney World especially) in the summer. I went to Disney World in July and there was no shortage of visitors. I have also vacationed in Georgia and South Carolina in the summer. All those vacations were way more bearable than the North in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
People don't take vacations to Minneapolis, Chicago, or Buffalo in the winter. In fact, the only reason people vacation somewhere cold is for a ski trip. But there are lines at amusement parks (Disney World especially) in the summer. I went to Disney World in July and there was no shortage of visitors. I have also vacationed in Georgia and South Carolina in the summer. All those vacations were way more bearable than the North in the winter.

but you're not living in that area when you visit, you're just on vacation.

Would I rather visit a city in the summer and deal with 95-105 degrees or in Chicago and deal with 20-30 degrees for 5 days?

For a short time I'd probably do the warm city and deal with it. If I had to choose something to go through for 10 weeks I'd definitely take the 20-30 degree weather.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
but you're not living in that area when you visit, you're just on vacation.

Would I rather visit a city in the summer and deal with 95-105 degrees or in Chicago and deal with 20-30 degrees for 5 days?

For a short time I'd probably do the warm city and deal with it. If I had to choose something to go through for 10 weeks I'd definitely take the 20-30 degree weather.
I've lived through enough New England winters to know that I would rather live somewhere warm.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 PM

14,283 posts, read 14,511,424 times
Well, I've gone on the ferris wheel in Chicago on the day after Christmas and talking to people in line, we were the only locals!

If you haven't gone to Chicago in Dec. or Jan., you'd be surprised at the number of people from out of town down in the "Loop"! Granted not during a blizzard, but Chicago is a year round destination, and people do visit all the time. No matter when I've been downtown, I always run into people traveling.

Now Phoenix, not a chance. I stayed in Scottsdale for 4 days in the end of May for a wedding it was warmer than I thought it would be. This wasn't my first visit to AZ and really didn't intend to go back but a good friend was getting married so I did.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
You're right in saying that you can put on some clothes and deal with the cold. But then, there are other things to look out for. As I mentioned in a previous post, when it is 90-100+ degrees, you don't have to think about warming up the car in the morning or risking the chance of crashing into some other cars in the street due to snow and ice conditions.

On the flip side of that, when it is hot, you constantly have to worry about hydration, risk of sunburns, weakness and sometimes being lethargic.

Both extremes are bad in their own way it is just a matter of choosing what you want to deal with.

Now Steve-O I've been reading your posts on these forums since 2007 and must say you have helped me increase my knowledge about various subjects and you analyze things very well, even if I don't agree with some of the things you say. But that's natural. Thanks for the help Steve!!
Well, glad I could help.

But regarding snow and ice? I cant tell you the last time I saw any kind of significant snow on the streets here in Western Chicagoland. The only times you have to worry about it is when youre out somewhere and it starts snowing heavily. But come the next day, the main roads are usually perfectly fine, and the following day or two the side streets are perfectly clear. I would say from November until early March, there might be a dozen or so times where driving can be tricky. Its not like we have snow and ice all the time like northern Alaska.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
People dont vacation in Chicago in winter? I BEG you to come to Chicago around Christmas and just try and count all the out-of-state license plates you see, especially around downtown. The WORLD CLASS shopping and dining are a HUGE draw around the holidays, as are the outdoor ice rinks and museums.

And the reason you see so many visitors at Disney World in summer is because um, THATS WHEN KIDS ARE OUT OF SCHOOL and off-season rates apply. The only times I went to Disney was in the summer and I remember it verrrrrry vividly. I remember stepping out of the ice cold monorails and into the suana they call Florida.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
People dont vacation in Chicago in winter? I BEG you to come to Chicago around Christmas and just try and count all the out-of-state license plates you see, especially around downtown. The WORLD CLASS shopping and dining are a HUGE draw around the holidays, as are the outdoor ice rinks and museums.

And the reason you see so many visitors at Disney World in summer is because um, THATS WHEN KIDS ARE OUT OF SCHOOL and off-season rates apply. The only times I went to Disney was in the summer and I remember it verrrrrry vividly. I remember stepping out of the ice cold monorails and into the suana they call Florida.
They go to Chicago for Christmas and New Year's but I doubt they go at any other time during the winter.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:57 PM

341 posts, read 1,333,383 times
Never been to Phoenix except on a plane stop over from the westcoast, but nothing can be worse than those Chicago winters. I remember as kids on those real, real cold nights my cousin and I used to run scalding hot water into a bucket and throw it up in the air outside and by the time it hit the ground it would be frozen. I love Chicago, but the winters are what single handidly made me leave.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
Never been to Phoenix except on a plane stop over from the westcoast, but nothing can be worse than those Chicago winters. I remember as kids on those real, real cold nights my cousin and I used to run scalding hot water into a bucket and throw it up in the air outside and by the time it hit the ground it would be frozen. I love Chicago, but the winters are what single handidly made me leave.
Exactly. Some people don't understand that no matter how much a city has going for them, the winters alone can be enough to make someone hate the city.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:28 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,116,607 times
Quote:
Exactly. Some people don't understand that no matter how much a city has going for them, the winters alone can be enough to make someone hate the city.
True, but the flip side is true as well when you consider summers in certain locations. It depends on the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City