Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris or San Francisco?
Paris 93 65.96%
San Francisco 48 34.04%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 PM

40 posts, read 54,921 times

Advertisements

Paris!!! Can you say oui!! oui!!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Excuse me, the 9-county San Francisco Bay Area has 7.2 million, not 7.5 million, my mistake.

This is a consensus, and its what the US Census bureau says. Im not overstating anything. The Bay Area is typically considered San Mateo, Santa Clara, San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa, Napa, Sonoma, Marin, and Solano counties. Its still an area much smaller than many other CSAs. And, it has 7.2 million people.

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
eh... then 15 for paris, mostly urbanized, 11.5 for ile de france alone, over only 4,600 square miles,
7.2, as you say for over 7000 square miles in bay area.
I've spent quite a bit of time in both...have lived in both for brief stints, there is no comparison.
paris is 2x denser than nyc...think about it.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 PM

246 posts, read 759,021 times
Oh, I agree its no comparison. I just wanted to clear up the fact that the bay area does have nearly 7.5 million people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
eh... then 15 for paris, mostly urbanized, 11.5 for ile de france alone, over only 4,600 square miles,
7.2, as you say for over 7000 square miles in bay area.
I've spent quite a bit of time in both...have lived in both for brief stints, there is no comparison.
paris is 2x denser than nyc...think about it.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:33 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Oh, I agree its no comparison. I just wanted to clear up the fact that the bay area does have nearly 7.5 million people.
OK no worries, I was getting SF/Oak information the first hand. Even though I personally would never want to make that SJ/SF commute, I know it has very strong ties to SF and the region.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Paris is absolutely beautiful, but too far away from family to have any real meaning to me. I pick SF.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:13 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Paris have a bad reputation when infact most are nice, calm... some are bad but it is only a minority, anyway today some of biggest Paris business center like La Defense are in suburbs.
Many suburbs are very urban and dense, we speak more nad more of greater Paris city that include the inner city with the inner suburbs.

Sure Paris has large minorities, Paris has like any big city quite many nasty districts but saying that Paris is a slum is really exagerating.
The picture that you posted show Barbes, a working class commercial district.
I admit that you can find worse districts than Barbes but it is no way the average of Paris

As a non white french, I don't think that your comment about a genocide was correct and appropriate.

Believe me, Paris in 1930's has plenty of southern and eastern european immigrants.
At this time, Paris was maybe the most cosmopolitan place in the world with american, japanese and other people from all around the globe.
We all know Josephine Beker, Hemingway...
It was also full of slum, housing condition were very bad.

Paris in 1950's was surrounded by shanty towns, mostly populated by immigrant from southern europe, northern africa and rural France.

Multicultural Paris is nothing...
Sure Paris of today is far more diverse than it was in 1930's or 1950's.

Barbes is far cleaner than it was 70 or 50 years ago.

Some other pics of Paris (yah I know I never show monuments )

YouTube - Islamic, Muslim Demographics (ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING).

Old 06-06-2009, 05:50 PM

246 posts, read 759,021 times
Not only does it have strong ties, it's SF and SJ are only 40 miles apart, with a continuous urban area between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
OK no worries, I was getting SF/Oak information the first hand. Even though I personally would never want to make that SJ/SF commute, I know it has very strong ties to SF and the region.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Im still not seeing the leaps and bounds. Those pics make paris look like an average city. With no buildings over 20 feet
That doesn't mean anything. Berlin, Paris, Buenos Aires, Montreal, etc lack the huge skyscraper districts found in many American cities, but on the contrary, how many of those cities rival their city/streetscapes, urban cohesion, nightlife, walking and transit culture, cafe culture, etc. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a human-scaled Berlin than a sprawly, traffic-marred Atlanta.

I mean, look at Portland. Portland blows many cities larger than it out of the water when it comes to urbanism, night life, livability, etc. Skyscrapers, many of them which are monolithic structures devoid of life after 5pm, don't dictate what is or isn't a city.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
That doesn't mean anything. Berlin, Paris, Buenos Aires, Montreal, etc lack the huge skyscraper districts found in many American cities, but on the contrary, how many of those cities rival their city/streetscapes, urban cohesion, nightlife, walking and transit culture, cafe culture, etc. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a human-scaled Berlin than a sprawly, traffic-marred Atlanta.

I mean, look at Portland. Portland blows many cities larger than it out of the water when it comes to urbanism, night life, livability, etc. Skyscrapers, many of them which are monolithic structures devoid of life after 5pm, don't dictate what is or isn't a city.
Oh, but Paris DOES have a huge skyscraper district in La Defense.

And, perhaps you should visit Atlanta before you mindlessly repeat what others here say. You may be surprised.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:14 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,978 times
I never said it didn't. They have that, but its not in the city limits proper, and its contained to one area. All of those cities have them, but they are supplanted by vibrant, human-scaled neighborhoods that are teeming and buzzing with activity and traffic.

And, uh..I have indeed been to Atlanta. I don't know about everything other said, but there is definitely some truth to some of it; the traffic and sprawl are both hellish and nightmarish. Nothing sheepish about that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City