Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:22 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 year old college grad with a degree in marketing (Bachelors from IU). I have been out of school since May '07 and cant seem to find an entry level position in sales, marketing research, account management, or as a manager trainee ( i know, lots to consider). I didnt intern in school either because I couldnt find a paid internship so I feel i am screwed--no experience. Companies dont want to seem to hire new grads and I get no good job search advice besides "use careerbuilder and monster"...WTF?? sorry needed to rant. I want to relocate, not necessarily because of my job situation but just to try something new. I moved to Indianapolis from Auburn, AL (grew up in Mobile, AL) almost 6 years ago due to transferring schools and also because I was in a long distance relationship (that ended 4 yrs ago). I am considering the three cities mentioned based on what I have heard..but I need to actually set up visits to see which one I want to move to, but I am on a retail salary and having issues saving money for the move in the first place so I need to

Why am I considering these three cities (My list narrows and gets bigger each day lol):

Denver--close to to mountains and very scenic, love the Broncos & Nuggets, easy to learn your way around (?), diversity (?), university of colorado fan

Dallas--diverse, go Cowboys! (no real good college sports close by though? love college athletics), awesome job market (lots of Fortune 500 companies have regional/corporate offices there, i hear)

Charlotte, NC--good job market, low cost of living, friendly people..dont really know much else about it but still doing some research.

Like i said, these places interest me based on word of mouth....although I am most interested in Denver, I cant seem to get much information on if it has good job opps or not...been getting mixed opinions in my research..Perhaps someone could steer me in the right direction on how to find ACCURATE info on different cities' job markets.

I work in retail and I can transfer my current job but I only make 9.50/hr at one job and 7.50/hr at another , but BARELY get by. I know one of these cities has to have a better job climate than indy. I like indy ,though.

I dont have much saved up AT ALL, and know one person in each city (not really well..they are high school classmates, that I have recently started speaking to again so I dont know them well enough to be able to stay with them).

I first need to visit the city, that I think it would be most feasible for me to move too, since I dont have a lot of money to make alot of extra trips. I think it would be hard to line up a decent job without being a "local" to these cities...should I just transfer one of my current retail jobs and look once I get to one of these cities ? Which city of the three has a decent job climate? Which one would you rather live in and why? Do all of these cities have a lot of "transplants" ( since, I have lived up here, people always respond to me by saying, "why the hell are you in indianapolis? why do you stay here when you are from the south ? dont you hate this weather?"...doesnt seem to be a lot of transplants here relative to the population..thats probably why I get asked these questions the way i do)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 11:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
I am from Pueblo Colorado and I have to say of the choices you gave I would pick Denver. It has plenty of opportunities with the tech center and by Boulder and is diverse.

To get more information on Denver I suggest you look in the Denver thread...

Old 02-04-2009, 05:54 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,510 times
Denver>Charlotte>Dallas IMHO

Old 02-04-2009, 06:04 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Denver or Dallas.
If you like outdoor activities, Denver. If you like warmer weather and a larger area, Dallas.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
For "legit" relocation questions involving varied city choices, you want the General U.S. room.

Moving.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 PM

294 posts, read 781,654 times
Dallas> Charlotte>Denver.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 PM

181 posts, read 849,258 times
Dallas/Charlotte then Denver.

All actually pretty good cities though, you can't lose here. Dallas just has more to do/more money/more important in biz. world which is what you need to be thinking about at the beginning of your career.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:59 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Dallas/Charlotte then Denver.

All actually pretty good cities though, you can't lose here. Dallas just has more to do/more money/more important in biz. world which is what you need to be thinking about at the beginning of your career.
Do you work in the biz world? Did you land a job before moving to Dallas or after?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 AM

193 posts, read 481,843 times
I'm going to choose Charlotte. NC is a beautiful state, its quite inexpensive (they recently overbuilt condos, turned many into apts, and so its kept apt and condo prices low) and its definitely on the upswing. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2009, 07:43 PM
QCP

185 posts, read 523,747 times
All three cities are great and actually pretty similar. To me though, I like Charlotte the best. It's close to the beach(3hrs) and the mountains (1.5hrs) and surrounded by some great natural beauty. It's a big city, with a small city feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City