Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US City is more Known Internationally??
Houston 11 21.15%
Dallas 3 5.77%
Atlanta 18 34.62%
Miami 20 38.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I disagree. While both are very international, Miami is so international that you would easily feel like youre in another country. Houston is very diverse and very international, but you will know youre in the USA 90% of the time.
If I'm standing in the neighborhood outside of Miami Northwestern High School, or one of those areas in Belle Glade, I AM going to know I'm in America. Miami is not all Latinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
I disagree. While both are very international, Miami is so international that you would easily feel like youre in another country. Houston is very diverse and very international, but you will know youre in the USA 90% of the time.
I could go to South Texas and feel like I'm in a different country? What is your point?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I could go to South Texas and feel like I'm in a different country? What is your point?
My point is that even though Houston has a more diverse International community, Miami is more international.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
My point is that even though Houston has a more diverse International community, Miami is more international.
Well I guess if thats the case, then the term "international" is relative. And can mean something different to the individual.

So to me, Houston is more international.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 AM

409 posts, read 2,634,240 times
Houston we have a problem......

Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well I guess if thats the case, then the term "international" is relative. And can mean something different to the individual.

So to me, Houston is more international.
How do you define which city is more international?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
How do you define which city is more international?
The city that has the largest variety of nationalities.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:33 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Houston Atlanta charlotte Dallas Boston Philly all the same nothing really changes. You can tell when your in A american city,Vs IF you were in A south american city
But you're not in a South American city. You're in an American city that just has many South Americans in it. I could go to some spots in Houston and say I'm in an East Asian city but that would be laughable. Just like the assertion of Miami being a Latin or South American city. When I'm visiting my family in Miami, I don't think I'm in a South America, Latin America, or even Caribbean city. You also never answered the question. What does an American city look like.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I define most international as largest population of people from outside the US. So I guess by your definition you would be correct and by my definition I would be correct.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:35 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Just because Miami has many connections to Latin America does not mean it is Latin America. For it to be Latin America, it would have to be placed in Latin America in which it is not.
It is not geographically connected to Latin America, but it is very close. But the influence it puts on the region almost makes it part of it especially in culture, media and finance. As my Latin America Geography text book states many consider Miami the Capital of Latin America.

Quote:
And when Miami has more than 90 different languages being spoken in the city then we can discuss the possibility of it being more diverse.

For now though, Houston has a larger variety of nationalities living in the metro and more consulates than Miami. That sounds like diversity to me.
Not all Latins are the same this is the huge misconception everyone has. And as I states above there are a lot more people than just Latins in Miami. And there are many more International born people in Miami than there are in Houston.

Quote:
So if I lived in a city with 120 people from 120 different countries in the middle of Kansas that would be the most international city?

Miami has a major influence on a huge region outside the United States. Media, Finance, Transportation, Politics, Culture etc..
From Wikipedia: (I know not the best source.)
The racial makeup of the county was 58.73% White, 18.49% Black or African American, 0.45% Native American, 5.14% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 14.18% from other races, and 2.96% from two or more races. 32.93% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 7.2% were of German, 6.2% American and 5.3% English ancestry according to Census 2000. 63.8% spoke English, 28.8% Spanish and 1.6% Vietnamese as their first language.

Miami-Dade:
The racial makeup of the county was 69.70% White (16.6% Non-Hispanic White),[14] 17.5% African American and Black (with a large part being of Caribbean descent), 0.19% Native American, 1.3% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 4.58% from other races, and 3.79% from two or more races. 65.6% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. In relation to ancestry (excluding the various Hispanic and Latino ancestries), 5% were Haitian, 5% American, 2% Italian, 2% Jamaican, 2% German, 2% Irish, and 2% English ancestry.[15] 1,147,765 of Miami-Dade residents, or 50.9 percent of the total population, were foreign-born, a percentage greater than any other county in the United States (47% of whom were naturalized U.S. citizens),[15][16]

The most common countries of foreign-born residents included Cuba (42%), Nicaragua (16%), Colombia (6%), Haiti (6%), Dominican Republic (3%), and Jamaica (3%).[15]

59.25% spoke Spanish as their first language, 32.09% English, 4.12% French Creole, 0.89% French, and 0.67% spoke Portuguese as their mother language.[21] 50.9% of the county residents were born outside the United States, while 67.90% of the population speaks a language other than English at home.[21]
Today, the Miami area has a sizable community of citizens, undocumented populations, and permanent residents, of Argentines, Bahamians, Brazilians, Canadians, Chileans, Chinese, Colombians, Cubans, Dominicans, Ecuadorans, French, Germans, Greeks, Guatemalans, Guayanese, Haitians, Hondurans, Jamaicans, Indians, Italians, Mexicans, Nicaraguans, Peruvians, Russians, Salvadoran, Spanish, Trinidadians and Tobagonians, Turks, South Africans, and Venezuelans, as well as a sizable Puerto Rican population throughout the metropolitan area. While commonly thought of as mainly a city of Hispanic and Caribbean immigrants, the Miami area is home to large French, French Canadian, German, Italian, and Russian communities. The communities have grown to a prominent place in Miami and its suburbs, creating ethnic enclave neighborhoods such as Little Haiti, Little Havana, Little Managua, Little Brazil, Little Moscow, and Little San Juan.

I guess others can use these numbers for their decisions but I see Miami being more international due to the large amount of minorities. White Americans are a minority in Miami that can not be said for Houston.
Some other things which make Miami more "international" besides for demographics

Miami is also the headquarters and main production city of many of the world's largest television networks, broadcasting companies and production facilities, such as Telemundo, TeleFutura, Mega TV, Univision, RCTV International and Sunbeam Television.

Several large companies are headquartered in or around Miami, including but not limited to: Alienware, Arquitectonica, Arrow Air, Bacardi, Benihana, Brightstar Corporation, Burger King, Celebrity Cruises, Carnival Corporation, Carnival Cruise Lines, CompUSA, Crispin Porter + Bogusky, Espírito Santo Financial Group, Fizber.com, Greenberg Traurig, Interval International, Lennar, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Perry Ellis International, RCTV International, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Ryder Systems, Seabourn Cruise Line, Telefónica USA, TeleFutura, Telemundo, Univision, U.S. Century Bank, and World Fuel Services. Because of its proximity to Latin America, Miami serves as the headquarters of Latin American operations for more than 1400 multinational corporations, including AIG, American Airlines, Cisco, Disney, Exxon, FedEx, Kraft Foods, Microsoft, Oracle, SBC Communications, Sony, and Visa Internationa

The port of Miami is the busiest port of entry for cargo to and from Latin America and the Caribbean. Miami International Airport is the third busiest airport for International Passengers behind JFK and LAX. It has the most flights to Latin America and the Caribbean. Ft. Lauderdale is 15 in International Passengers. Miami International Airport is number one in the US in amount of international cargo and 4th in total cargo.
Also Miami's tourism industry which brings in many international tourist from all over the world. Miami's world famous night life give's it a much more international feeling too as many cities in the US do not have great night life like in Europe.

Houston is a very important and international city. But I just do not see how it beats Miami in being more international or being more known internationally. Especially being known, as shown by the poll results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City