Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Pizza
Chicago 36 40.91%
NYC 52 59.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:10 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

Well obviously all pizza is native to Italy, lol. It's just matter of where outside of Italy is it the most similar and best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 03:12 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

The thick pizza is Sicilian Style and honestly I'm not sure if it's unique to NY...maybe, hmmm - Sicily?

Ha, reminds me of what we pick up at the local bakery here in Hartford in Little Italy. They serve it cold like that. It's very good.

Yeah, I've seen thick sheet pizza like that in Italian bakeries in Chicago, they cut you a piece off with scissors. A Chicago restaurant called Pompeii has sheet pizza like that too.

As for Sbarros, if you guys lived in Lexington you'd appreciate it, I swear to God.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:18 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
Chicago Deep Dish Pizza!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 03:23 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
NYC Pizza is the only choice, Chicago Pizza is like eating tomato soup.
Chicago pizza is like eating tomato soup in a bread bowl! NY pizza wins hands down.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:28 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Chicago pizza is like eating tomato soup in a bread bowl! NY pizza wins hands down.
CHICAGO IS NOT ALL DEEP DISH.

HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS BEEN SAID?

Sheesh.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
That's OK Venom, ole zonababe is from "below the Mogollon Rim". Maybe the Apaches up there caught him and hung him upside down over a small fire till his brains boiled.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:23 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
CHICAGO IS NOT ALL DEEP DISH.

HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS BEEN SAID?

Sheesh.
We hear you however whenever someone mentions Chicago style pizza they mean deep dish so it got stuck somehow.
Back to the topic. Comparing Chicago pizza to New York is not fair. First of all New York has much bigger Italian population and pizza is much more popular than in Chicago. In New York you can get a pizza ALMOST on every corner and I ma talking about real pizza places not Sbarros.
There is a lot of different pizza, some good, some bad some terrible but generally New York style pizza is much closer to the Italian original and in my opinion much more tasty than pizza in Chicago.

I do not now know if it is about the water my Italian friends swear it is all about the cheese(s) used. New York pizzerias use many different cheeses, very often more than one in a single pie and in effect it can taste incredibly good. It is not designed to be serve as a dinner or be filling, just to be tasty and most oftne just a snack or quick lunch.
I had a lot of Chicago pizza but I have never found anything that would approach the flavor and taste of New York pizza. Most of Chicago pizza is just a big chunk of pizza dough with plenty of "toppings". More of a 'pizza pie" than actual pizza as know to the world. Yes, to the world because the US and Itally are NOT the only places where people enjoy pizza however across Europe you just get a variation on Italian pizza.
There is a deep dish pizza in Northeast and it is called Sicillian and in fact is cut into squares and not slices. Other than this it does not resemble Chicago's take on it.

New Jersey has some good pizza as well and for the same reson, large Italian population living in the Bada-bing area.

I believe some people may like Chicago style pizza, well some claim Olive Garden offers the bast lasagna (that hurts!). Some claim the best burgers come from McDonalds (hurts even more!). I juts think New York pizza is much closer to the original and because of very large Italian population has been mastered here to perfection.

By the way, pizza is not a pie. It does not come from a bakery but from a pizzeria. Preferably with an old fashioned brick oven.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Saturday is pizza day for me (for dinner).

I pick one of several pizza parlors. Today, it was Numero Uno.

Since it was delivered today while I was reading this thread, I thought I would post a photo of it. The is a medium pepperoni. Thin crust. I like thin crust, but not paper thin.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:06 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No, I understand. Many people here in Chicago call our deep dish a "pie", which makes A LOT more sense than calling NY pizza a "pie".
Here in Northeast PA, its not a "pie" its a "tray." You order a "tray of pizza" around here...and they're cuts, not slices. You ask for pie here, and you'll get apple or pumpkin.

Mmmm...Old Forge pizza...

Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
well we don't call them slices or cuts 'round here! We say "a peice of pizza" prounouced "peizapizza" so it almost sounds like pizzapizza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City