Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Jersey or Long Island
North Jersey 208 62.28%
Long Island 126 37.72%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 PM

18,412 posts, read 15,121,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I thought it ended in Spring Valley
To me, it ends in Montvale, but then, it doesn't really matter to me much either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,871,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammamia01 View Post
Why? Isn't the quality of beaches relevant to the topic? Also, there is nothing to discuss. A LI beach was named the best ion the nation and another a number five on the to ten list. What do you want to discuss? Methodology of this list? Talk to Dr. Beach a/k/a Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman PhD - director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University.

About Dr. Beach

One LI beach has been named the best in the nation, another number five on the top ten list while none of the Jersey beaches made it to the list at all. Of course one could risk a claim that LI beaches are better in general but in any case those two LI beaches named in the list are better than any beach in New Jersey. That should count for something, right? Or not?

You may discuss vibes, charms etc all day and night yet rankings like this do not leave much doubt and room for interpretation. Just think about it, LI beach was named not only better than any New Jersey beach but also any Califronia, Florida, Carolina or Hawaii beach, that's really indicative for quality, isn't it? Yes, I believe LI beaches are better than New Jersey beaches.

Pardon me, but that's one beach on one group's list. There are MANY such lists, none of which completely agree, many of which include multiple Jersey Beaches (although those beaches are usually in South Jersey or LBI) Anyway, in the City Data poll where the people of City Data were asked which was better, Jersey won by a landslide. That's another list, that is just as valid as the other one, because both are based on opinions.

Quote:
Really? None of the Jersey beaches made the list while LI got the top and fifth spot and you still arguing your case? After all those two share waters and sand with the rest of Long Island...

Nevertheless, you have to admit that LI has something New Jersey does not: top quality beaches. Are you still suprised that people prefer the Hamptons over Seaside?
None of the NJ Beaches made their list. I don't see any LI beaches on this list here

TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Destinations Awards - Beach & Sun - United States

Also, I would never go to Seaside, but I would pick Cape May or Avalon over the Hamptons ANY day of the week and am HIGHLY, HIGLY insulted that you would say our beaches are not top quality. NJ beaches are world class (mind you, this is based on the opinion of people I know who have traveled the world, and personally, I'm hard pressed not to find a beach that is world class and along the ocean). They might not be as famous as one in more tropical locations, but they offer a unique experience that cannot be found anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
No, because beaches in NJ aren't in NNJ, so it would be going off topic therefore you should make a 7th account and discuss it on the NJ beaches Vs NY beaches thread..

Are people supposed to kiss the feet of the creators of all these lists?
You're relying on lists as back up too, then make duplicate accounts to further back them up... It's a sign of insanity.
The first part is a matter of opinion (people in South Jersey would say there are North Jersey Beaches, people in North and the mythical land of Central would say they are not in North Jersey, but that, is an argument that is neither here nor there, and no where near being finished) and I agree with the rest of this post.

Last edited by jknic; 06-08-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,069,519 times
Quote:
Really? None of the Jersey beaches made the list while LI got the top and fifth spot and you still arguing your case? After all those two share waters and sand with the rest of Long Island...

Nevertheless, you have to admit that LI has something New Jersey does not: top quality beaches. Are you still suprised that people prefer the Hamptons over Seaside?
One beach on LI got the top spot, and two made it...on that one list. So b/c of that particular list that means NJ has NO top quality beaches? California isn't in the top ten on that list either, guess they don't have nice beaches either. Stretch things much?

You're logic is all off. A chick with only a cute face is not the 'total package'. You want to take those two beaches and paint the whole LI coastline w/ it. LI DOES have nice beaches, but NJ not making the top ten does not mean it doesn't have nice beaches. This shouldn't be that hard.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Pardon me, but that's one beach on one group's list. There are MANY such lists, none of which completely agree, many of which include multiple Jersey Beaches (although those beaches are usually in South Jersey or LBI) Anyway, in the City Data poll where the people of City Data were asked which was better, Jersey won by a landslide. That's another list, that is just as valid as the other one, because both are based on opinions.

None of the NJ Beaches made their list. I don't see any LI beaches on this list here

Also, I would never go to Seaside, but I would pick Cape May or Avalon over the Hamptons ANY day of the week and am HIGHLY, HIGLY insulted that you would say our beaches are not top quality. NJ beaches are world class (mind you, this is based on the opinion of people I know who have traveled the world, and personally, I'm hard pressed not to find a beach that is world class and along the ocean). They might not be as famous as one in more tropical locations, but they offer a unique experience that cannot be found anywhere else.
Thank you

Old 06-09-2010, 07:51 AM

88,041 posts, read 83,864,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Exit 14A on the New York State Thruway (I-87 & I-287) has a exit sign "Garden State Parkway...New Jersey".

I checked it out and I believe officially the part in Rockland County is called the Garden State Parkway CONNECTOR. Its run by the NYS Thruway system. However, a Hagstrom Atlas I have (Rockland-Orange-Ulster Counties) shows the part in Rockland County as the Garden State Parkway EXTENSION.

I am willing to bet most people just call it the Garden State Pkwy. Nobody mentioned it but the Palisades Interstate Parkway is in both states.
Yes, it is, but the Palisades are also in both states. NJ is the Garden State and so the Garden State Parkway ends at the border. Thus saith the Mighty Queen, anyway! Hehehe.

But, wait, there's more! I did a seach, and according to Wikipedia, it's called the Garden State Parkway Connector of the NYS Thruway. Also, the official route designation of the GSP is Route 444. I did NOT know that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_State_Parkway

I am now so much smarter than I was when I woke up this morning that I can't stand myself.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,083 times
Quote:

The first part is a matter of opinion (people in South Jersey would say there are North Jersey Beaches, people in North and the mythical land of Central would say they are not in North Jersey, but that, is an argument that is neither here nor there, and no where near being finished) and I agree with the rest of this post.

No need to get insulted, the top ten list was created by a scientist based on scientific methodology not some popularity contest. Again, none of the New Jersey beaches made the top ten US list while Southhampton beach in LI was named the best in the nation and another LI beach made it to number five. You can find a little bit about the author of this most respected ranking of US beaches since 1989 below. Would you still dimiss his credentials in favor of some nameless world travellers you quoted or the results of some city-data poll?

Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman is Professor and Director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University. He received his Ph.D. in Environmental (Coastal) Sciences from the University of Virginia, and completed his undergraduate degree in Geosciences at North Carolina State University.

Prior to joining FIU, Stephen was Professor and Director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at the University of Maryland; Director of the National Park Research Unit at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst; and Assistant Professor in the Department of Geology at Boston University.

Stephen has authored or edited 16 books, including Sea Level Rise: Causes and Consequences; Barrier Island Handbook; Overwash Processes; Cape Cod: From Glaciers to Beaches; and America's Best Beaches. He has also authored over 200 journal articles and technical reports, including articles in both Science and Nature.

Stephen has provided expert testimony multiple times for the U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives. He was also the on-screen host and co-producer of the 1992 film "Vanishing Lands", winner of three international film awards, including the Golden Eagle.

You can find more info on the author and methodology used to create the ranking here:

About Dr. Beach

Last edited by elal01; 06-09-2010 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,871,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elal01 View Post
No need to get insulted, the top ten list was created by a scientist based on scientific methodology not some popularity contest. Again, none of the New Jersey beaches made the top ten US list while Southhampton beach in LI was named the best in the nation and another LI beach made it to number five. You can find a little bit about the author of this most respected ranking of US beaches since 1989 below. Would you still dimiss his credentials in favor of some nameless world travellers you quoted or the results of some city-data poll?

Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman is Professor and Director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University. He received his Ph.D. in Environmental (Coastal) Sciences from the University of Virginia, and completed his undergraduate degree in Geosciences at North Carolina State University.

Prior to joining FIU, Stephen was Professor and Director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at the University of Maryland; Director of the National Park Research Unit at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst; and Assistant Professor in the Department of Geology at Boston University.

Stephen has authored or edited 16 books, including Sea Level Rise: Causes and Consequences; Barrier Island Handbook; Overwash Processes; Cape Cod: From Glaciers to Beaches; and America's Best Beaches. He has also authored over 200 journal articles and technical reports, including articles in both Science and Nature.

Stephen has provided expert testimony multiple times for the U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives. He was also the on-screen host and co-producer of the 1992 film "Vanishing Lands", winner of three international film awards, including the Golden Eagle.

You can find more info on the author and methodology used to create the ranking here:

About Dr. Beach

I could care less about the list (and by no means wish to discredit its author, although I still view it as an opinion of one man, albeit a very educated one at that), what insulted me was the comment mamamia made about our beaches. I'm sick of hearing people stereotype our beaches as rocky, trashy, polluted hell holes when I know that all three of them are untrue (at least for the beaches from Atlantic City and south as well a Long Branch, although it was kinda rocky at times) for almost all NJ beaches with the exception of Seaside.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:22 AM

30 posts, read 25,093 times
Quote:
I could care less about the list (and by no means wish to discredit its author, although I still view it as an opinion of one man, albeit a very educated one at that), what insulted me was the comment mamamia made about our beaches. I'm sick of hearing people stereotype our beaches as rocky, trashy, polluted hell holes when I know that all three of them are untrue (at least for the beaches from Atlantic City and south as well a Long Branch, although it was kinda rocky at times) for almost all NJ beaches with the exception of Seaside.

Yes, the list is just an opinion of one man, yet this man also happens to be a real life (and not city-data ) expert on beaches and shores with several academic degrees and scientific publications to back up the quality of his expertise, which was good enough to be utilized by the US Congress (see his bio). I believe his opinion as a member of academia is much more valuable than any popularity contests on city-data or any lists compiled by the popular media. Read his bio again, do you honestly think you know more about beaches then he does? C'mon.

I don't think anybody would call Sandy Hook rocky or trashy yet you have to admit that if an LI beach is named as the top beach in the nation, ahead of any California or Florida beaches, it is very impressive. Having not one but two beaches in the U.S. top five is even more indicative of overall quality of LI beaches. In the same time, New Jersey not having a single one in the top ten, makes me believe that LI beaches are simply more appealing or of better quality than NJ beaches.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_account01 View Post
Yes, the list is just an opinion of one man, yet this man also happens to be a real life (and not city-data ) expert on beaches and shores with several academic degrees and scientific publications to back up the quality of his expertise, which was good enough to be utilized by the US Congress (see his bio). I believe his opinion as a member of academia is much more valuable than any popularity contests on city-data or any lists compiled by the popular media. Read his bio again, do you honestly think you know more about beaches then he does? C'mon.

I don't think anybody would call Sandy Hook rocky or trashy yet you have to admit that if an LI beach is named as the top beach in the nation, ahead of any California or Florida beaches, it is very impressive. Having not one but two beaches in the U.S. top five is even more indicative of overall quality of LI beaches. In the same time, New Jersey not having a single one in the top ten, makes me believe that LI beaches are simply more appealing or of better quality than NJ beaches.
Yeah...on that ONE list lol. Aren't you getting tired of creating so many accounts? (mammamia01....freeaccount01...elal01....what's next? city-data02?)

Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 AM

30 posts, read 25,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Yeah...on that ONE list lol.

Yeah LOL. "On that one" list created by a university professor with a PhD in coastal science with several scientific publications on the subject who testified as a subject matter expert to the US Congress.
Yeah, just a list, not any more respectable than an article in Trip Advisor or a poll on city-data. We are sure going to your word and fellow New Jerssey posters over his.

http://www.drbeach.org/aboutdrbeach.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City