Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Jersey or Long Island
North Jersey 208 62.28%
Long Island 126 37.72%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

^^^@ Both, that's nice.

This is like when the guy was arguing with the mule on Family Guy. People keep saying the same thing over and over again.

Does this include Brooklyn & Queens or not? This is already an unfair comparison but whatever helps people sleep at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
^^^@ Both, that's nice.

This is like when the guy was arguing with the mule on Family Guy. People keep saying the same thing over and over again.

Does this include Brooklyn & Queens or not? This is already an unfair comparison but whatever helps people sleep at night.
The OP said "Both are a part of the NYC metro" in his/her opening statement, so I'm guessing Queens and BK aren't included.
I think it's fair to say Queens should be included to make it a fair comparison, but I feel adding Brooklyn is a stretch and makes things very unleveled.

Adding BK along with Queens is Comparing NNJ to half of NYC and all of LI.
NNJ- 4 million+
LI/Q/BK- 6 million+
(I'm not going to find actual numbers)

LI/Q- 4 million+ ... Now that's fair.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
The OP asked about Nassau & Suffolk Vs Northern New Jersey.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The OP said "Both are a part of the NYC metro" in his/her opening statement, so I'm guessing Queens and BK aren't included.
I think it's fair to say Queens should be included to make it a fair comparison, but I feel adding Brooklyn is a stretch and makes things very unleveled.

Adding BK along with Queens is Comparing NNJ to half of NYC and all of LI.
NNJ- 4 million+
LI/Q/BK- 6 million+
(I'm not going to find actual numbers)

LI/Q- 4 million+ ... Now that's fair.
Yeah that is a bit more fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
The OP asked about Nassau & Suffolk Vs Northern New Jersey.
That's an unfair comparison imo. If it was just that then NNJ would clearly win. However I'm not the OP, they could've been looking for somewhere to live or something.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM

30 posts, read 25,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
^^^@ Both, that's nice.

Funny. You make fun of folks arguing here but in the same time can't seem to stay away from the topic. If it doesn't interest you: don't read and don't respond. It's that simple.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_account01 View Post
Funny. You make fun of folks arguing here but in the same time can't seem to stay away from the topic. If it doesn't interest you: don't read and don't respond. It's that simple.
How did I make fun of people arguing here? Everyone else is making sense except for you those 20 other accounts.

I'm done with this topic, it's dead...peace.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:

We applaud you for never giving up, dismissing logic, voting for Long Island with 10 separate accounts, and being the biggest ignoramus in C-D's history.
What an inspiration you are!

Last edited by BPerone201; 06-10-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Quote:
Yeah. Definetely go with a tourist perspective. When visiting New York for instance don't forget to spend four hours admiring Time Square After all it is the most appealing to tourists aspect of New York Are you also saying that when choosing musems you would not go with the art historians and experts but the popular tourist vote as well? I am pretty sure you have your lunch in McDonalds every day then. After all, by the popular vote it's the best food ROTFL

Listen dude, the guy with a PhD compared environmental quality of the beaches, their sand and water quality. Most tourist don't, that's why studies like his are created - to educate the public. The public however also likes environmentally clean beaches. The cleaner the better. Do you think it is a concidence that the best US beach is located in the most desirable Southampton, LI?

When it comes to popularity you realize that more people visited Jones Beach than any other beach on the East Coast.
Source: Jones Beach Sponsors Reach 1.2MM Visitors per Month - MediaBuyerPlanner

We have a hard, scientific data to support the claim that LI beaches are of better quality then NJ beaches so why don't you just admit Long Island beaches are better than New Jersey beaches and move on? Why do you waste your time arguing against the results of scientific research by a real life expert with a PhD and several scientific publications ? Do you really think anybody would take your word over his? ROTFL

No, you have an opinion that is based on what that man considers to be better. I will gladly argue against him because what makes a better beach to me, is different from you, and everyone else on earth. I could go on about weather, sand qualities, water temperatures, water color, vibe of the nearby town, boardwalks, people there, various flora and fauna, but I won't, because that is for another thread.

Quote:
You just called me a nut case.... Wow, that shows the class of New Jersey posters. And yes, Coopers Beach was named the best in the nation i.e. better than any beach in New Jersey: North, South, East or West. No anonymous poll on city-data is going to change the fact that Jones Beach is the most visited beach on the East Coast and Coopers Beach and Main Beach in LI the best beaches in the North East.
It show's that we're blunt, and would say that the New Jersey has the best beaches in the North East, and that Jones Beach is the most visited due to its accessibility from N.Y.C. Think about it. It's much easier to get to than NJ beaches for most New Yorkers, and there's A LOT of people from N.Y.C.

Quote:
I know, I know. You're from New Joisey, you think that posting opinions by esteemed experts and statistical data is offensive.
No, posting opinions, claiming they are "hard, scientific data" and using them to incite rage is offensive. Also, calling it "Joisey" is also offensive and in turn will cause us to assume that you know nothing of our state, it's people, and that you are beyond logic.

Quote:

LI has the best beach and the fifth best beach in the US. That's something North Jersey does not and will never have.
No, on his list and who knows if they will ever make his list. Cape May, Avalon, Ocean City, Wildwood, and parts of LBI have all made such lists before.

Quote:
Most people don't realize how beautiful are beaches in Long Island, even when compared to other beaches in the world. Just compare the sand quality in LI to other part of the US...

Follow the link below and read about the author and how he created his list. Maybe it'll help you...

The Best Beach In America Is Coopers Beach (Southampton, New York)
Most people don't realize how beautiful, and varied, beaches are in New Jersey. The sand quality gets better the farther south you go, getting whiter and more fine. I would be willing to bet the farm that LI sand quality is about the same

Quote:
Yes, sand and water quality makes a beach better than others. What did you think it was? Quality of hot-dog vendors or height of skyscrapers?
Here is a short description of Southampton beach, maybe it will help you understand what makes it better then New Jersey beaches and why the reach and famous chose the Hamptons for summer residence over any location on Jersey shore...

Coopers Beach on the east end of Long Island, New York is the main beach in the tony Village of Southampton. The Hamptons are world famous; this is one of America’s Gold Coasts along with Palm Beach and Malibu where the rich and famous reside and frequent during the season. Southampton is also steeped in history; it was the first English settlement, dating back to 1640. Historic mansions grace the beautiful, grass-covered sand dunes; the turrets of Calvin Klein’s mansion are among the views visible from Coopers Beach.

Coopers Beach is officially only 500 feet long, but this stretch of sandy shore extends for seven miles for the delight of beachcombers and strollers. A mile or so trek to the east is the one-of-a-kind St. Andrews Dune Church with its interesting architecture and tiffany windows; the original wooden frame was once a U.S. Lifesaving Station. While the U.S. Northeast coast was pummeled by storms this past winter, Coopers Beach stood up well with no damage. A wide beach awaits your visit. Parking is pricey so the best way to visit the beach at no charge is a short bicycle ride from the Village of Southampton. Lifeguards are on duty from 9AM to 5 PM daily, and the pavilion has a wonderful snack bar for lunch.
From reading this, I still like Avalon (where Oprah, at least one NFL player who's name I can't recall, the Heinz Family (yes, like the Ketchup and John Kerry's wife), and many others have gigantic summer mansions), Ocean City (where if I remember correctly Kelly Ripa has a second home, although it could be L.B.I. I don't remember where), and Cape May (architecturally speaking, it's a Victorian paradise) better. In fact, I like the entire Jersey Shore (excluding Seaside) better because it is so much less pretentious. In fact, the only thing different between Coopers Beach, and the ones I listed, is that they were all pummeled pretty well, because we took the brunt of the storm. That and beach tags, but Ocean City has a free area if I remember correctly, they're all near Wildwood and Strathmere which are free, it's very easy to sneak onto the beach for free, and season tags aren't that bad.

Also, other than A.C., I can't think of beaches with sky scrapers, and I can't think of beaches with hot dog venders (assuming you mean those guys selling "street meat"). Because of all the stereotypes and because of the syringe tide of the 1980's (caused by NYC thank you very much) NJ beaches have the strictest standards of water cleanliness in the nation. If the bacteria, and other such levels, are above a certain point, the beach is not allowed to open. Such occurrences are VERY rare, and almost unheard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
well yea i would think LI does have better beaches then jersey , never really heard of any cool beaches in jersey
Vice versa for me. I think N.J. has better beaches than L.I. and have never really heard of any cool beaches in L.I. I had heard of the Hamptons, but never knew that they were in L.I. until recently, mainly because I could care less and knew I'd never go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
ummmm new yorkers are trashy? someone from jersey shouldnt even be talking.
We both think the other is trashy. I'm sorry, but please, let's NOT generalize the population of N.J. based on a TV show taking place at our worst beach starring a bunch of orange whores from N.Y.

Quote:
LI being the largest island in the continental US has already much better shoreline than New Jersey and completely anihilates northern New Jersey which lacks any beaches.
Bakc to the topic though, I simply pointed out that compared to NNJ LI offers much better summer experience as refelcted in the ranking of its beaches in the Top Ten US Beach list. LI has also the Hamptons, the historical nad famed summer residence for the rich and famous. Nothing like that in New Jersey and even less in Northern New Jersey.

As far as the Jersey Shore vs. LI shore thread on city-data is concerned?
Who cares, people with enough money to chose their place of residence chose the Hamptons over any location in NJ and LI's Jones Beach is the most frequented beach on the East Coast which includes Florida beaches. That's something while northern New Jersey has no beaches at all.
I bolded the parts that are opinion and bolded and italicized the parts that are wrong. Beaches do not constitute a better summer experience. Personally, I consider beaches to be a year round thing. The rich and famous most certainly live in N.J., let us not delve into that extensive category. While L.I. may have more "old money" N.J. most certainly has "new money" in the form of professional athletes, news casters, TV personalities, actors, musicians, and others. If I had the money, and was rich and famous, I would still pick Cape May over the Hamptons any day. Why is that, because it's a matter of OPINION!! As for whether or not North Jersey has beaches, that is an argument that will not be settled anytime this millennia, or the next for that matter.

Quote:
It's not an opinion its a fact. People with enough money to freely chose pick the Hamptons and Long Island over Jersey shore and Jones beach is the most frequented beach on the East Coast. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. In the same time there are NO beaches in northern New Jersey.
So you're telling me that Oprah doesn't have the money for a home in the Hamptons? As for Jones Beach being the most frequented beach, again, I would venture to say that NYC, having a population similar to that of NJ probably has something to do with this. As for if there's beaches in North Jersey, that is a matter of opinion. The beaches in North/Central Jersey are most certainly a part of the NYC metro, and if you want to split the state into North and South, are therefore a part of North Jersey if you base it on culture and metropolitan area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I will say that the TripAdvisor description of Cape May is really insulting:

"Yes, Cape May is, technically, on the Jersey Shore. But it’s the antithesis of the Jersey Shore you’ll see on TV—instead of nightclubs and tanning parlors, you’ll find Victorian mansions and a famous lighthouse".

May MTV rot in hell, for giving NJ beaches that reputation....it's only ONE beach town that is like that (Seaside Heights), and it's mostly NYers that visit there...the rest of the 117 miles of Jersey Shore is NOT like that!
100% agree and then some! The only reason I referenced it was that I didn't feel like looking longer than the less than 2 minuets it took me to find a list with NJ in it.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post

Vice versa for me. I think N.J. has better beaches than L.I. and have never really heard of any cool beaches in L.I. I had heard of the Hamptons, but never knew that they were in L.I. until recently, mainly because I could care less and knew I'd never go there.
Jknic, from this I get the impression you simply do not know any of the Long Island beaches well.

For me, I don't like a beach better simply because it is in my home state, I like certain beaches better because they are more natural --- surrounded by open space, dunes, natural landscape. In other words, I like spacious public parks better than the built up urban beaches. Examples include Sandy Hook & Island Beach in New Jersey and Jones Beach, Robert Moses or Fire Island National Seashore in New York.

Of course I like other beaches, for instance fun "party beaches" like Wildwood or parts of Fire Island. I also love the "Victorian atmosphere" of Cape May or the "New England atmosphere" of the East End.

For example IMHO:

Island Beach & Robert Moses > Rockaway Park & Asbury Park

Last edited by LINative; 06-10-2010 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 10:06 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Jknic, from this I get the impression you simply do not know any of the Long Island beaches well.

For me, I don't like a beach better simply because it is in my home state, I like certain beaches better because they are more natural --- surrounded by open space, dunes, natural landscape. In other words, I like spacious public parks better than the built up urban beaches. Examples include Sandy Hook & Island Beach in New Jersey and Jones Beach, Robert Moses or Fire Island National Seashore in New York.

Of course I like other beaches, for instance fun "party beaches" like Wildwood or parts of Fire Island. I also love the "Victorian atmosphere" of Cape May or the "New England atmosphere" of the East End.

For example IMHO:

Island Beach & Robert Moses > Rockaway Park & Asbury Park
Few things,

One, I've never been to Rockaway park and don't even know where it is. So please tell me, I'm curious (and hope this point didn't come off as rude)

Two, I've never been to Asbury Park to go to the beach. I've driven through there to find the Stone Pony and out of curiosity, but not for the beach. If I want "open space, dunes, and natural landscape, in other words, spacious public parks than are not built up urban beaches", I go to the southern part of Ocean City, or Cape May, or Strathmere, Or Sea Isle, or Avalon, or Brigantine. I would list LBI and Island Beach state park, which also fit into that category, but I do not go to them.

Three, I don't like NJ beaches solely because they are in my home state. I prefer NJ beaches mainly because of their atmosphere. From what I've read here, they come off as being much less pretentious, plus I love how much they vary. I can enjoy a nice quite day in Sea Isle, and then go on a quick drive to Wildwood or Atlantic City and enjoy a night on the boardwalk. I also love how at home I feel at the beach. I go to Sea Isle or Ocean City so often (and yes, I go year round) that I know them better to the back of my hand.

Four, You have to remember, I'm from South Jersey (although I do go to university in North Jersey) so I know little of Long Island and that's probably 90% of the reason why I haven't heard of their beaches. Mind you, I've been trying to find the time to take the LIRR to Montauk for the longest time.

Five, Personally, I find Robert Moses park to be a bit too isolated, and hope the man it's named after burns in hell, but that's another story.

Six, which LI beaches would you recommend? I go to university in Newark, and do NOT want to have to drive through Manhattan or Staten Island. I love finding new beaches.

edit

seven, this is off topic and belongs in the thread comparing NJ and LI beaches.

Last edited by jknic; 06-10-2010 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City