Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Jersey or Long Island
North Jersey 208 62.28%
Long Island 126 37.72%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,649 times

Advertisements

Noo Joyzee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 PM

98 posts, read 172,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Italians were trying to keep their neighborhood Italian influenced. Cultural Institutions.. trying to keep cultural traditions and values.
Yeah, Riots that took place some 50 years ago as an example of cultural life... Only in New Joisey

You know what? Let's put it this way, Long Island is better because New Yorkers do not call it New Joisey and Conan O'brian does not make fun of it on national TV all the time. That's good enough for me...

Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaynow View Post
Yeah, Riots that took place some 50 years ago as an example of cultural life... Only in New Joisey

You know what? Let's put it this way, Long Island is better because New Yorkers do not call it New Joisey and Conan O'brian does not make fun of it on national TV all the time. That's good enough for me...
NYC had riots between different cultures as well.

Or you can ust say LI is better IMO.
Because statistically, NJ is better.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:38 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
Honestly who was the person who added Brooklyn and Queens to this thread? As a Long Islander if someone from Queens told me they were infact a Long Islander also I would laugh. Lets keep it NNJ/Nassau& Suffolk folks.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oprah Windfree View Post
Noo Joyzee.
Or how about Nu joyazeey. Yo im from Newwork(on purpose) Nu joyazeey

Na but seriously guys. I was just ruffling feathers. New jersey is better than long island by a mile. The jersey shore, which i have fond memories of because its funner than most beach resorts on the east coast, north or south. The wildwood boardwalk has like three amuesment parks and it could go up with the best to me. Its awesome having something like that so close without having to travel all the way down south. New jersey also has this weird cozy/homely feeling to me whenever i go out there

My aunt lived in the cylinder shaped building right across the hudson(forgot the name), if you ever drove the westside highway it sticks out like a sore thumb. That area was awesome had a movie theatre right down the street with a plaza filled with resturants and s..t. Had my first sushi there.

Jones beach is cool but not better than the shore...at all. I went to central islip to my mothers old house. When i was out there it felt weird like kinda secluded and behind(lack of better words) Anyway just my two cents

Old 12-15-2009, 07:16 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:

Well, the last time I watched Conan O'Brien, he made fun of everything and anything (and he has made fun of Long Island many times on his show)...he is an entertainer, and that is his job. Funny you mention Conan, because he is actually a fan of NJ in real life and has spent time in the real NJ.

But if you're basing your opinion on pop culture...you've already painted yourself as a naive individual.

Equally as naive is miraculously believing that Pennsylvania (?!?) is more diverse and culturally rich than NJ. Spend 5 minutes on Google, and get back to us on that one.

As much as I complain about NYers frequently poking fun at NJ (especially when they have never spent much time there)...I will say this. A lot of the REAL NYers (natives, and people who have actually spent significant time in NJ) do indeed like NJ, and end up moving to NJ when they are ready to start families. And we all know that NYers frequent the Jersey Shore in the summer time as well (both the seedy parts and the nice parts). Really, for the most part (and there are exceptions) the only real defiant anti-NJ NYers tend to be the bubblehead transplants from Ohio and elsewhere, who have quite literally never set foot in the great state of NJ, but for some reason think it's appropriate and/or intelligent to judge an entire state based on what they view on TV.

Back to NJ vs LI....the two are very, very, VERY similar in demographics and lifestyle. In my opinion, and apparently many voters in this poll agree with me, NJ is more well-rounded, convenient, and has a greater diversity of landscape that LI cannot offer.

LI's main weaknesses:

- the traffic (yep, much worse than NJ, at any time of day...in fact, I just got back from sitting in Long Island traffic)
- isolation (ties in nicely with the traffic)
- lack of cultural options, lack of variety of ethnic eats
- the accents (the entire south shore has one)

Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Honestly who was the person who added Brooklyn and Queens to this thread? As a Long Islander if someone from Queens told me they were infact a Long Islander also I would laugh. Lets keep it NNJ/Nassau& Suffolk folks.
But everyone living in Queens and Brroklyn live in Long Island... That's a fact. Long Island City is located in Queens by the way...

Anyways, how many NJ counties are you pitching against two LI counties?Five? Six? Why not compare two adjacent to New York City counties of NJ namely Hudson and Bergen to Nassau and Suffolk.

Now, are they really better than Nassau and Suffolk? Where are the beaches? Where are the Hamptons? Where is the race track? Where are the lightohouses? Where are the wineries? You can't have it both ways guys...

Last edited by broadwaynow; 12-15-2009 at 08:47 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
But everyone living in Queens and Brroklyn live in Long Island... That's a fact.
The OP specifically mentions both places being "just outside of NYC".
You know full well this thread is about Nassau & Suffolk............ Stop it. Please.

As far as cultural amenities, I can't believe in all honesty & sincerity that you would even mention LI as having more than NJ.
It's just not true.
From the small, but ever present arts communities in JC & NWK, the NY areas preeminent jazz station (located in NWK), NJPAC (which you have unsuccessfully disparaged), NWK symphony hall, classic cinema marathons at the Loews theater in Jersey City (if you don't know about the history of this theater, well...), Hoboken film festival, the Paper Mill Playhouse, the small but growing Bergen PAC in Englewood, music concerts at both the IZOD & Prudential center, All Points West concert in Liberty State Park in JC, Maxwell's in Hoboken (famous for breaking new musical acts), ect, ect.............

Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
As much as I complain about NYers frequently poking fun at NJ (especially when they have never spent much time there)...I will say this. A lot of the REAL NYers (natives, and people who have actually spent significant time in NJ) do indeed like NJ, and end up moving to NJ when they are ready to start families. And we all know that NYers frequent the Jersey Shore in the summer time as well (both the seedy parts and the nice parts). Really, for the most part (and there are exceptions) the only real defiant anti-NJ NYers tend to be the bubblehead transplants from Ohio and elsewhere, who have quite literally never set foot in the great state of NJ, but for some reason think it's appropriate and/or intelligent to judge an entire state based on what they view on TV.

Nice try but no, making fun of New Joisey is a New York tradition. New York City never liked New Jersey always thinking of the state as less advanced, less cultured. Let's be honest there are no great nationally renowned cultural institutions or events in the great state of New Jersey.
The only reason New Jersey is thriving and affluent is because of its proximity to New York City. The state with Trenton, the capital worthy of Idaho. No baseball nor footbal team. Sometimes it is hard to believe how the perspective changes once you cross Hudson rivier and the thin layer of surrounding urbanity... You live in New Jersey, which exit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Back to NJ vs LI....the two are very, very, VERY similar in demographics and lifestyle. In my opinion, and apparently many voters in this poll agree with me, NJ is more well-rounded, convenient, and has a greater diversity of landscape that LI cannot offer.
So you were in fact comparing the entire state of NJ to just two counties in LI? Are you for real?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:13 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
But everyone living in Queens and Brroklyn live in Long Island... That's a fact. Long Island City is located in Queens by the way...

Anyways, how many NJ counties are you pitching against two LI counties?Five? Six? Why not compare two adjacent to New York City counties of NJ namely Hudson and Bergen to Nassau and Suffolk.

Now, are they really better than Nassau and Suffolk? Where are the beaches? Where are the Hamptons? Where is the race track? Where are the lightohouses? Where are the wineries? You can't have it both ways guys...
Haha, nice try.

First of all, Nassau and Suffolk cover much larger square mileage than Hudson and Bergen.

Secondly..."urbanity" spreads outward from any city's core (in this case, Manhattan)...this is why Hudson County is often referred to as a sixth borough, because it in many ways has the look and feel, of a borough. Dense and urban. Even Lower Bergen County is much like Queens in character and landscape. It's when you get to the Upper/Western Bergen County areas, western Essex County, and beyond, that NJ truly becomes suburban...just like it does when you travel EAST of Manhattan. Brooklyn...Queens...getting more suburban...bam, you hit Nassau and it's true suburbs.

Anyway, just look at the score on this poll...it speaks for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City