Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Jersey or Long Island
North Jersey 208 62.28%
Long Island 126 37.72%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Most likely, the reason that they do that is because they prefer one location (NJ shore) over the other (Jones Beach). That'd be my guess?

On an average July day, I'd venture to say that over 80% of people walking the boardwalk in Seaside Heights, NJ are from NY.

You do know that Jones beach has the most amount of visitors out of all beaches in the country, right?

Those 1.2 million people a month aren't people just from Nassau and Suffolk counties...

Jones Beach Sponsors Reach 1.2MM Visitors per Month - MediaBuyerPlanner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:25 PM

42 posts, read 34,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
we all share the same space brah? do you think anyone from the rest of america has even heard of or cares about little neck, fresh meadow, massapequa, bethpage? most people think nyc is manhattan. no to mention towns on long island are as relevant to nyc as towns in westchester, nnj & southern ct which means nothing..

gimme a break

i hope you live in manhattan to talk trash
Most people can't say anything specific about New Jersey
Your attitude is exactly what I don't like about New Jerseyans, you talk trash about the city and the boros while Brooklyn or Queens are more urban, dense and populous than any city in New Jersey.
No, I live in Brooklyn, still more urban, cultured and populous than any city in New Jersey.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:28 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra02 View Post
Most people can't say anything specific about New Jersey
Your attitude is exactly what I don't like about New Jerseyans, you talk trash about the city and the boros while Brooklyn or Queens are more urban, dense and populous than any city in New Jersey.
No, I live in Brooklyn, still more urban, cultured and populous than any city in New Jersey.
List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Out of the top 10 Densest cities in the nation, 7 of them are in NJ. 10 of the top 20 are also in NJ.
Again... You're clueless

Old 05-24-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Out of the top 10 Densest cities in the nation, 7 of them are in NJ. 10 of the top 20 are also in NJ.
Again... You're clueless

Ha, Ha. Yeah, you want to compare 2,400 strong East Newark or 10,000 strong Gutenberg with 2.5M Brooklyn? Following your thought maybe we should all admire urbanity of Harrison or Hoboken over NYC, San Francisco or Chicago.

No, buddy. I said "No, I live in Brooklyn, still more urban, cultured and populous than any city in New Jersey" and yet you chose to focus on density alone. Unfortunately for you the state of New Jersey does not have a single city over 500K (Brooklyn alone is 2.5M) and the four over 100K - Newark, JC, Elisabeth and Patterson - are not much to look at and not famous for anything. Maybe with an exception of Newark but you can keep that kind of fame to yourselves
These facts alone tell you a lot about the state of New Jersey - in esssence a huge, bland, cultureless subburb.

Last edited by abracadabra02; 05-24-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 02:02 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Most people know about the boroughs i dont know where thoughts of the contrary even come from. The bronx,brooklyn and queens would be top ten city's in the united states if they were independent. New jersey's city's are not on that level so a nyer does not need to live in manhattan.

And as nyers we dont view manhattan through the same lens as ppl outside the city do. This is our home and manhattan is apart of it-

Its like being best friends with a celebrity, everybody on the outside is going to be in awe and amazed. But to you he/she is just a regular person.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:13 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Quote:
These facts alone tell you a lot about the state of New Jersey - in esssence a huge, bland, cultureless subburb.
And yet NY'ers still move here in droves.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
And yet NY'ers still move here in droves.
If they were in fact moving in droves NYC would not have the same amount of people as the entire state of NJ Keep on dreaming.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Quote:
If they were in fact moving in droves NYC would not have the same amount of people as the entire state of NJ Keep on dreaming.
You're telling me NY'ers DON'T move to NJ?
Look up the state to state migration flows & see if "I'm dreaming".

Old 05-24-2010, 02:43 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Ha, Ha. Yeah, you want to compare 2,400 strong East Newark or 10,000 strong Gutenberg with 2.5M Brooklyn? Following your thought maybe we should all admire urbanity of Harrison or Hoboken over NYC, San Francisco or Chicago.

No, buddy. I said "No, I live in Brooklyn, still more urban, cultured and populous than any city in New Jersey" and yet you chose to focus on density alone. Unfortunately for you the state of New Jersey does not have a single city over 500K (Brooklyn alone is 2.5M) and the four over 100K - Newark, JC, Elisabeth and Patterson - are not much to look at and not famous for anything. Maybe with an exception of Newark but you can keep that kind of fame to yourselves
funny how you say you don't like NJ'ers talking trash about NY, then you post something like the bolded. pot, meet kettle.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:24 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Most likely, the reason that they do that is because they prefer one location (NJ shore) over the other (Jones Beach). That'd be my guess?

On an average July day, I'd venture to say that over 80% of people walking the boardwalk in Seaside Heights, NJ are from NY.
Actually it is more likely that they rented or are staying with someone who owns a house on the Jersey shore. Its that much more $$$ to do that on some Long Island beaches, especially the Hamptons.

Based on my own experience, I am going to back up Mike and Rachael up on this. The overwhealming majority of New Yorkers I have known, and I used to live in the city, usually go to local beaches on Long Island or in the 5 boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City